Back from Alaska

Guest keninla

Guest keninla

Just got back from Moore Creek in Alaska. It was a great time and I got some good gold by highbanking. I had a good spot with good gold from highbanking. I will attach a few pics today and post better gold pics when I get them back from developer.

The pictures included show me cleaning up after a highbanker run, the fine gold from that run and a nugget that I got from the highbanker.

More information and pics tomorrow

Ken

Guest keninla
Hello Ken,

Good going on the highbanking up at Moore Creek. Looks like you done well. Just imagine working that ground with equipment! :o

Was anyone detecting that week?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

Several people were detecting ( including me) during each of the three weeks I was there. Week 5 one nugget was found by detector, week 6 - two nuggets, week 7 -two nuggets found. All less than one once.

About mid way through week 6 I decided to give up my good highbanker spot and go detecting. Bad move.

The dozer mechanic had just finished fixing the D-9 and was in the process of pushing tailing piles to lengthen the runway. I (and several others) went detecting the next day on now open ground that I expected to produce at least 3 or maybe 4 of those big 25 oz nuggets. No one had much success.

So I detected a good part of week 6 and part of week 7 and the only thing valuable that I found was one of the Moore Creek hand held radios that some client in previous week had lost. Picture below. I was detecting the sides of the piles that had been cleared by the dozer. The dozer would push dirt off the top and over the side of the hill down toward the tailing pond. The hill I was on was about a 60% incline. When I got a week signal about 5 feet from the top of the hill I was sure it must be a nugget. The hill was so steep that the first thing I had to do was dig a place to stand. After that I very carefully one scoop at a time started to dig out the hole and pass the scoop over the detector. I could not simply use the pick and pull dirt out of the hole because it would roll down the hill and into the pond - never to be seen again.

So I dig 6 inches, 8 , 10 inches and by now the detector is screaming whenever I test the hole. then BAM the hole collapses. It was all loose dirt . This happened 3 times before I finally got down to 12 inches and discovered the RADIO. I was not a happy camper. Funny now, but not then.

I did do well at highbanking and could have done much better had I stayed with it. I ended up getting just under 3/4 ounce of gold for a few days of highbanking. More pics tomorrow.

The moral of this story is never leave good gold to go after what might be great gold.

Ken

Ken,

I must say, thats some pretty nice looking gold. Well now that your back, how does mid Sept. sound for a kick off weekend at the mine. Like you said, no leaving gold to go look for gold. Doc, Jeff and I along with help from Joe, Mick, Mike, Denny and david have mapped out 4 places on the west side and 3 places on the east side. The west side being where we are now. I've had plenty of time to map this out this summer.

Bob

Guest keninla
Ken,

I must say, thats some pretty nice looking gold. Well now that your back, how does mid Sept. sound for a kick off weekend at the mine. Like you said, no leaving gold to go look for gold. Doc, Jeff and I along with help from Joe, Mick, Mike, Denny and david have mapped out 4 places on the west side and 3 places on the east side. The west side being where we are now. I've had plenty of time to map this out this summer.

Bob

Kamikaze,

Yes, the highbanker gold was good. Shoveling was hard work but it did pay off. I found the nugget when I was panning the concentrates. Did not see it in the riffles. the nugget is mostly gold with some quartz.

Bob,

Mid sept sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to it.

Ken