Close to Home

Doc spent the most of 2005 working on this little placer site which had room for one comfortably :( . He fixed the road and built a parking lot at the bottom of this little wash :D . I went to Doc's place about 3 weeks ago with my grandson and he got a few pieces of gold :P . Well the weather has been nice so Doc and I decided to go out to this little place. I found a spot that I felt good about and started following the bedrock down. Sweeping and cleaning out the cracks as I went. I only ran 4 buckets todays( these are 2 gal. buckets) and moved a lot of overburden :angry: . I got a couple pictures of the bedrock and the gold. It was fun being on site, unloaded and working in 20 minutes. Another big plus today, shade. I was able to park my truck just right so that my work area was in the shade :P:P .

Bob B)

Pretty Gold Bob! Ever use one of them gas powered vacuums? I've dredged and now into detecting, for what you're doing, seems like one of them vacuums would be the ticket. Altho never tried one, some say they are noisy, but I can't hear much anyway. Keep it up!

Pretty Gold Bob! Ever use one of them gas powered vacuums? I've dredged and now into detecting, for what you're doing, seems like one of them vacuums would be the ticket. Altho never tried one, some say they are noisy, but I can't hear much anyway. Keep it up!

Shep,

The gas powered vacuum does work great but is noisey as hell. So I went out and bought a regular shop vac and replaced the filter with window screen. It works great. Requires a generator, but I need that to run my handheld concrete breaker. The calechi out at our main placer site is hard as concrete so we break it up and break the rocks loose so that we came drywash. Hellva way to retire. Maybe if Grubstake can get down this way for this fall, you can make it to. Grub may need you to point him stright.

Bob

acronn,

I like 2 fold questions. The surrounding terrian is granite and quartz monsonite. We are working about 100 yards below the main mine. The vein quartz contains alot of iron oxide, which the gold seems to be attached to. We have found some quartz attached to the gold but most of it is pretty clean. Back in 1984 my partner and I did some basic ore testing on the 2 main shafts for the owners thats why I know abit about the ore. I will do some more work later this week on the area I'm in. This is providing my back gets better.

Bob

Nice gold 29.

When you took the filter off the vac. could you tell much of a difference in the suction??

Hey 29, if you would get yourself a pair of extra large weighted [is that a word?] snowshoes it may keep you from tipping over. :lol::unsure:

Bob T.

My good friend Bob T,

I'll address the second question first. I spent 1 1/2 years in Fairbanks and I'm so graceful that I just couldn't master them snowshoes. Now the extra weight, that just might work til I start downhill, then all bets are off. Just a side note, We use to buy wingtip shoes because of the slick leather bottoms, pull the heels off and hitch rides by grabing the back bumper of a slow moving car or truck :lol::lol: .

Now about the vac, I didn't notice a power lose until it started to get 3/4 full. Of course me and my great brain went thru 2 vac before I figured out that when you remove that filter thing on the motor, there is no protection per say :o:o .

Bob

Yes 29, I didn't say anything but was kind of wondering about removing the filter thingie.

Guess there must be a good cloud of dust blowing out the exhaust.

I know I tried mine in the shop, one day, without the filter and it blew out about as much dirt out as it sucked in.

Had a couple of sets of the snowshoes when I lived in Colo., used them quite a lot as I lived at 9500 ft.. Just have to learn to do the duck walk with them. :lol:

Bob T.