Placer Mining

Well its been in the 60's at nite and not heating up til 12:30 or so, so I figured it was starting to be mining time. I went to the new place thats just 20 minutes away and that includes stopping and getting ice. I pulled in and make sure I had shade over the work area and proceeded to remove some overburden. Well it wasn't long til I started to run into bedrock and had to change methods. After studying Doc's hole and the flow of the wash, I figured that at best I had 2 maybe 3 feet east left and about 75 feet south. I didnot have time to really clean things up today due to an doctors appointment but here is what got done today. I also added a picture of what I use 90% of the time to break thru to the gold.

Bob

:) wow, not many people stop to take pictures of there work, let alone show it off on the web. It really keeps the bug alive for those of us that cant get out as much as we want. Hopefully this weekend Ill make it out to the Mojave! I cant wait to head youre way though! :) hopefully soon........good luck on your excavations.............................................airboy

Nice Bob!! Thanks for sharing the picture :)

Randy,

As the weather cools and we get out more, I will be sharing more. I try to document with pictures everything we do and than diagram them. Helps all of us. I'm also running a Blog over at goldplacer.com.

You can find me listas: The Ramblins of the 29 Prospector. That way I don't tie up board space for Rob. He has been very gracious in allowing me to ramble on and on.

Bob

• Admin

Hello Bob,

As always I enjoy your posts and pictures. Makes me wonder how much smaller gold, and maybe bigger at depth I have left behind in some of the washes we detect. Over the years I have found hundreds of washes ranging from small feeders to very large sandy washes that have produced a good amount of gold nuggets. In some of the shallower washes I can actually see, and blow out the fine/flake gold when retrieving the gold nugget(s). I'm sure some of these washes would be good for drywashing/vac-packing.

There's nothing like that beautiful desert gold you're finding. Keep up the great success.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob,

My father never really dug the bedrock out. He would clean and sweep it but thats all. I asked him onetime about that and he said "why mess with mother nature. We can come back in 3 or 4 years and do it all over again". What's funny about this is that every 4 years that wash produced gold from small to erasure size nuggets.

Doc's old mining partner, would always say, " 8 buckets, no gold move on. 9 out 10 won't have any gold but that 1 will be the reward".

Rob, I'm in no hurry to get all the gold. Simply put, there is way to much left for all of us to find.

Hope to see you over here this winter for at least 1 weekend.

Bob