Wyoming newbie

Hello all, I'm at work and bored. :mellow: Ran across this forum and liked it.

The wife n I were out near centennial, Wy. last week as a drive by, Heading to Rock Springs for a Horse training seminar, :( . I convinced her we needed to stop and hike a creek we found, (Found on Google search know and planning this stop :rolleyes:).

I have been here in wy. for 7 years, and havent seen any part of this state yet, till now. We are both Colo Native :lol: If there is such a thing.

Anyway I happened to have a 5 gallon pail with us, Hmm to carry something?? So I had to fill er up with a lot a black sand. Yes I even brought a shovel, ( incase the truck was to get stuck or something) B) .

I havent had the time to search thru yet, but did happen to see some ruby chips and some fine gold. But could not resist to grab a few other quartz specimens.

I have done some dredging many years back, (For fun) But have always dreamed of getting back into it. I have bought me a metal detector and have done some shooting with it. Mostly around old home sites. (did you ever see so many nails???)

Now I am trying to convince the wife to head over with me to South Pass for a couple days to get serious.

Any good idea's on a old mine to work over or good finding's in the area that would be a great place to start.

Thanks GSP

Thats (German Shorthair Pointer) for those unfamiliar with the hunting aspect.

Any good idea's on a old mine to work over or good finding's in the area that would be a great place to start.

Thanks GSP

GSP,

I would suggest that you find a USGS map for the area you wish to explore. If there's a prospecting shop or book/map store in your area give them a try first. They can also be ordered from the USGS in Denver.

What part of CO are you from? I spent a good many years in the state, just south of Denver.

Gary

BTW Welcome! :D

Hello Gary! :D

I have gotten quite a few topo's assuming I was going Elk hunting the last few (7) years, But to no avail! I have read till my eyes cant see a traffic cop with lights on behind me. ( not that it was me he was after) :o

I spend quite a bit of time on the internet browzin and dreamin and buyin of course, (Ebay my buddy).

I just aint sure on if I want to work tailings or the creeks . Can't seem to do both in such short time! I will do mostly shooting, and am leanin towards the higher mines.

Wife and I are from Westminster, Boulder. However we lived in Longmont for 12 years as well. We had to leave, To many people and we raise Black Angus cattle, so I bought land out near Torrington. We are only 2 hours from the Colo mountains and I go to Stockshow every year to sell and buy. We stay with family when we go.

Thanks

GSP

GSP,

When you say "South Pass" are you speaking of 'South Pass City', which is close to the town of Atlantic City (ghost or semi-ghost town) or is this a mountain pass? If a mountain pass I need a nearby town or an approximate GPS coordinate.

I hear you as to the amount of population growth CO has experienced over the past 30 years. When they built the new High School I attended it was surrounded by hay fields, the fields are gone and nothing but houses mini malls today. The entire front range darn near connects to Cheyenne with developements.

Almost went to college in Boulder after graduating high school, but hitched a ride on an aircraft carrier with a VAW Sqaudron instead.

Get me the info re; South Pass and I'll see what I can come up with! B)

This is like old home week, I could go on and on and on and on and................

Gary

Hello all, I'm at work and bored. :mellow: Ran across this forum and liked it.

The wife n I were out near centennial, Wy. last week as a drive by, Heading to Rock Springs for a Horse training seminar, :( . I convinced her we needed to stop and hike a creek we found, (Found on Google search know and planning this stop :rolleyes:).

I have been here in wy. for 7 years, and havent seen any part of this state yet, till now. We are both Colo Native :lol: If there is such a thing.

Anyway I happened to have a 5 gallon pail with us, Hmm to carry something?? So I had to fill er up with a lot a black sand. Yes I even brought a shovel, ( incase the truck was to get stuck or something) B) .

I havent had the time to search thru yet, but did happen to see some ruby chips and some fine gold. But could not resist to grab a few other quartz specimens.

I have done some dredging many years back, (For fun) But have always dreamed of getting back into it. I have bought me a metal detector and have done some shooting with it. Mostly around old home sites. (did you ever see so many nails???)

Now I am trying to convince the wife to head over with me to South Pass for a couple days to get serious.

Thanks GSP

Thats (German Shorthair Pointer) for those unfamiliar with the hunting aspect.

Hey Gary, here is 1 of the best link's that I have, Sorry it it is South Pass city, It has alot of old mountainus rock, and has alot of AU!

Some say the pickins are still pretty good.

http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/sp_placers.aspx

:D

I know about the population boom real well there in Co, last week after our (vacation), I had to run some farm Equiptment to a sale in Ft Collins, and I could not believe that in the last 4 months how many homes have gone up. :unsure:

I think it's safe to say that Cheyenne is part of Co now. Amazing, There is little water for drinking but they still keep coming!

ALL THE GREAT SOIL THAT ONCE WAS IS NO MORE! :(

And on and on and on

Thanks

Talk to ya soon.

GSP

GSP,

Now I have some ammunition. It's getting close to 3am. here sooooo.........I'm going to shut it down until tomorrow or today...... ahhh?????

I'll get back to you with what I find out about the area. At this time I think part of it may be in a State protected Historic Site.

More to follow! :D

Gary

Hey GSP,

Here's a few maps with some mine names of South Pass area. Keep on beeping B) - Frosty

OOPs Guess I lied to ya. I try to post the info. as an attachment & nothing happens. I'll keep trying for ya. Keep on beeping B) - Frosty

GSP,

The Carissa/Carisso, Duncan and Diana Mines are private patented claims. In the area of Atlantic City and South Pass City there are a number of others (approx. 20+) all of which were gold producers.

I checked the Topo and Aerial map of Rock Creek which was extensively dredged. The dredge piles are pretty well overgrown today but still would be worth checking out.

The mines listed below are under state, federal or BLM land management.

Mary Ellen

Tabor Grand

B & H

Ground Hog Group

Carrie Shields or Shields

King Solomon

Empire State

That should be enough to get you started, and good hunting! :)

Gary

• 4 months later...
GSP,

The Carissa/Carisso, Duncan and Diana Mines are private patented claims. In the area of Atlantic City and South Pass City there are a number of others (approx. 20+) all of which were gold producers.

I checked the Topo and Aerial map of Rock Creek which was extensively dredged. The dredge piles are pretty well overgrown today but still would be worth checking out.

The mines listed below are under state, federal or BLM land management.

Mary Ellen

Tabor Grand

B & H

Ground Hog Group

Carrie Shields or Shields

King Solomon

Empire State

That should be enough to get you started, and good hunting! :)

Gary

Hi gary, Sorry it has been hectic in my life, Bad weather, 4 ft snow drifts, Cows a calving, and the railroad is busy as well!

Thanks for the info, I found some interesting info on King Solomons mine. I think I am going to start with it.

We tried to make it up to Colo for Stock show, what a mess there. Mom lives 10 minutes from there and still had 24" in her yard. Great for the water, but bad for parking in Denver. Oh well talk at ya soon, and thanks again for the info!

GSP

Hi GSP,

Once the weather permits, you might want to head back towards the Colorado border and see if you and pick up a diamond or two. I am sure your wife might be interested in that type of hunting. Most women are.

Now, right along the Colorado Wyoming border, there are some localized areas known to produce some decent industrial diamonds with a few prize ones thrown in. My guess is the area is about straight south of where you are located.

Also, if you happen to find some rather oily looking "quartz" type rocks in your sluice, I would check them out. I suspect a few diamonds have made up to where you are at now.

This is just something else to look for while panning for gold.

Cheers,

Reg