COILTEK 14-INCH SCORES SOME BIGGER ONES

• Admin

Hello All,

This morning Leaverite and I hit a couple of spots on quads. I decided it was time to go back to the trusty Coiltek 14-inch Mono Searhcoil since I knew I found pounds of gold with it in the past. I love the Wallaby series, but it's time for a change, and sometimes that's good! :D

At the first location we didn't score anything, but at the second location I hit (4) pretty decent nuggets. The biggest one was 4.3 Dwt's, then 1.9, 1.2 & 0.6 Dwt's. Dennis scored a little dink with the Coiltek Joey coil on bedrock above where I hit the four.

I guess I paid for that new coil today which is always nice. I can't understand why I ever stopped using it, I know it's a killer searchcoil. :o

I also scored (3) copper nuggets in the same general area.

I have no clue what the heck happened to my digital camera, but all the pictures are coming out with a Pink color and are somewhat blurry. I think it's time for a new digital camera. I will scan the nuggets later and post them so you can see a better shot of them.

Hope you're all finding gold out there.

Rob Allison

Very nice ROB, and yeh your right, those cigs. are killing me. Shep is now a platypus man for sure. He said he likes it, runs smooth and not he has found some nice gold with it, He likes the Wallaby too, but the platy. is much easyer to get into the tight places up thee, and has great depth. A winner for sure. Grubstake

Rob. That pink color isn't so bad but it doesn't do the gold justice. I've often said that I change coil sizes more often than I change my underwear. A sure way to get more nuggets off an old patch is to try a variety of coil sizes on it. So many people get into using just one coil all the time even though they have a good selection. Where the nuggets are shallow there isn't much need to swing a big coil, but every gully has some deep spots and the 14" and 16" round coils will definately go deeper than a 14" elliptical or a 5x10 E. The 14" round size is very practical in the wider washes and fairly open ground which is where there is most likely to be some deeper ones and that size will go remarkably deep. It's one of my favorites. Nice nuggets!----Bob

• Admin

Hello Montana,

Well you're the main reason why I purchased the Canon PowerShot A70 several years ago. I remember you posted and stated you just purchased one and got it for a great price. Within a week I went down and purchased one also. It's been a great investment over the last couple of years. I've taken thousands of pictures of friends and gold. I knew eventually as hard as I'm on stuff the camera would take a dump. I've carried it every day out in the field, bounced around in my truck and been exposed too all type of temps over the years. I guess it's time to upgrade to something a bit newer and more megapixels. Thanks for the good advice on the camera. Are you still using the same one?

As for the coils, I just thought it would be a good change to try the Coiltek 14-inch round mono once again. I can remember back at Rich Hill ten years ago with this coil! :o I try to take (3) different coils with me when I'm prospecting new ground. This at least gives me the option to change if something is not working right. When I'm going back to old spots, I pretty much knows what works best. You can't beat the small Coiltek Joey Mono or Minelab 8-inch round mono for the small bits. I've also had great luck with the NF 14E.

Thanks for the comments about the nuggets. Feels good to find something rather than a bunch of small pieces every weekend. However, I still love digging the little ones just as much.

Hope everything is well on your end,

Rob Allison

Rob

Sure had a great time back at the spot I pulled my 1st nugget out of? One of these day’s mother natures going do her handy work and there will be dwt’s a plenty just laying around for us to scoop up :o . Go Skippy Uh Ha Go Skippy Oh Yeah.

By the way everyone It’s Rob’s Birthday today. Happy Birthday Buddy! B)

post-274-1158627000_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm going to spend more time with the Coiltek 14-inch round Mono this season. I can remember what I found with it in the past, so I'm hoping my luck will change from dinks to dinosaurs! :lol: We all know regardless of the coil you have to get it over the nugget for it to BEEP. :o

Hopefully I will be able to post some more sizeable nuggets in the near future.

Rob Allison

Dear Rob;

All I know is that the CTK 14" mono quickly became the fave coil for my SD2100! I am going to go out on a very thin limb and state that in IMHO the Coiltek 14" round mono is the finest all-around coil a person can use for a Minelab PI detector after the prospector gets a bit of experience. They have awesome sensitivity and good depth plus ground coverage, plus they are fairly light too. They can get a bit noisy in higher mineralization but it generally be tuned out, or at least down to a bearable level. I still prefer the Wallaby DD Pro for my GP3000 but the CTK 14" mono sees around 80% of all my prospecting done with my SD2100. It is an awesome general purpose coil, IMHO! BTW, I have yet to find any sizeable copper or silver nugs for my mineral collection. I've found some nice ferrite and magnetite pieces and even some nickel nugs, but no copper or silver ones as yet. Congrats on the nuggets!

Your friend;

LAMAR

• Admin

Hello Lamar,

When Coiltek first came out with the Coiltek 14-inch round I was swinging a SD2000/SD2100. This was my coil of choice since it covered a good amount of ground in little time and got great depth. Hunting up around the Rich Hill this was the coil to have. We were knocking them out of there very commonly in the range of 1/4 to 3/4's of an ounce.

I actually went back to all my old patches once the Minelab GP Extreme was released using the same Coiltek 14-inch coil. Man, I thought it was 1849 again .... :lol::rolleyes:

I'm hoping I can get back onto the same level with this coil as I did in the past.

Good to hear its your coil of choice over in Bolivia.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Rob. I'm still using the powershot A-70 and it is working great still. Of course that technology moves at lightning speed and for the same price now you would get twice the camera. The money I've saved on film and processing has more than payed for mine so if it takes a dump no big deal. The A-70 has been a great , tough , little camera, and I don't regret the purchase for one minute unless it starts taking pink pictures. I do regret buying half a dozen extra memory cards. I'm still using the original one. By the way , did you try a different card? Maybe that is the problem and not the camera.----Bob

• Admin

Hello Bob,

Never really thought about checking the video card. I just pulled out the card and it's a 128MB SanDisk Memory card. I think I tossed the one that came with it out, as that would be an easy way to check it. I've dropped the camera several times, so it might be knocked out of whack! :(

Like you, I've taken tons of pictures and have no regrets with the Canon Power Shot A70. Thanks for referring me to the great camera. If I can't seem to get it working, I'm probably going to purchase a newer version.

I've been reading about your recent finds. Sounds like your new nugget collection is quickly adding up. Nice when you can go out and find anywhere from 5 - 10 nuggets per trip. Most of mine besides last weekend have been small, but the little ones add up quick also if you're picking up 10 - 15 per weekend.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Rob. The guy at the camera shop where I bought mine said that the card will eventually fail. That is why I bought extras. I didn't know that "eventually " might be thousands of pictures later. I always carry an extra in my camera case so that if I fill one up or one fails then I have a backup. So far neither has happened.---Bob