Feeling left out east

hello, I'm new here and kind of new to hunting for gold.I have foreverrr collected od rocks and always loved and wanted to know more about them and how they form,what were they made of as well as wanting to find gems and gold.That leads me to the question i have now and the title to this thread.lol

Most of you if not all are west of me,II am out on long island n.y. trying to get back to upstate New York. :P

Anyways, I read around some online wondering why people went west to find gold?Was it because so many people east depleted seemly the gold here?My dr. told me I should move to AZ hehe but for sure now wouldnt be the right time. Does anyone think theres gold out here in the east,im feeling left out and soon it will be left out in the cold!(winters coming fast) <_< Is there gold in these here hills? :)

with love,

mair

Its just the way the world is - folks came west to find gold because thats where it is located. Same reason why there is oil in Texas but not much in NY, or why there is coal in West VA and Colorado, but not Hawaii. Just the way the earth formed or the way it was made, depending on your perspective. There is a little gold in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. In fact, there is a little gold back east in a number of places but not even 1% of what was found in the west. The other problem back east is that nearly all land is private and in the west much of the land in the goldfields is public land, and can be accessed by the average citizen. Back east you need to determine where the gold is, then determine who the owner is and then see if he will give you permission to tresspass. A lot of new prospectors seem to think that gold is just sprinkled randomly all over the place, and its just not that way.

Unfortunately, all US states are not created equal when it comes to gold, and just because gold has been found in the past in a certain area, it does not necessarily follow that those places are always good places to detect nuggets. It is no accident that the vast majority (like 99%) of all electronically detected nuggets in the US are found in the 12 continental western states, and a large majority of that 99% are found in just 4 states, AK, AZ, NV and CA. Nuggets which are large enough to detect, and close enough to the surface to be detected are a lot less common than fine gold and gold buried deeply. There is plenty of detectable gold out there, but its just not spread all over everywhere, and its not common or easy to find. Many gold districts have only fine dust sized gold and in many other places, what big nuggets are there are buried far too deeply to be detected with any detector. In many eastern locations, the gold tends to be very tiny in size and for those few locations with some tiny flyspeck gold near the surface VLFs may be preferred.

On further research, you will probably find that there is not a lot of detectable gold outside the western states. I'm not saying there is none, just that it would be a fairly rare occurrence and much less common than in some of the western states - you might hunt regularly for several years before you find even one small nugget with a detector. There are also access problems, as the west has considerable open federal land, where nearly everything is private property in the east. That’s why I recommend new prospectors joining a club to find out more about their area from guys with experience. For those who live out west, there are many choices of clubs, but GPAA is the only one which is close to nationwide in its scope.

Chris

Its just the way the world is - folks came west to find gold because thats where it is located. Same reason why there is oil in Texas but not much in NY, or why there is coal in West VA and Colorado, but not Hawaii. Just the way the earth formed or the way it was made, depending on your perspective. There is a little gold in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. In fact, there is a little gold back east in a number of places but not even 1% of what was found in the west. The other problem back east is that nearly all land is private and in the west much of the land in the goldfields is public land, and can be accessed by the average citizen. Back east you need to determine where the gold is, then determine who the owner is and then see if he will give you permission to tresspass. A lot of new prospectors seem to think that gold is just sprinkled randomly all over the place, and its just not that way.

Unfortunately, all US states are not created equal when it comes to gold, and just because gold has been found in the past in a certain area, it does not necessarily follow that those places are always good places to detect nuggets. It is no accident that the vast majority (like 99%) of all electronically detected nuggets in the US are found in the 12 continental western states, and a large majority of that 99% are found in just 4 states, AK, AZ, NV and CA. Nuggets which are large enough to detect, and close enough to the surface to be detected are a lot less common than fine gold and gold buried deeply. There is plenty of detectable gold out there, but its just not spread all over everywhere, and its not common or easy to find. Many gold districts have only fine dust sized gold and in many other places, what big nuggets are there are buried far too deeply to be detected with any detector. In many eastern locations, the gold tends to be very tiny in size and for those few locations with some tiny flyspeck gold near the surface VLFs may be preferred.

On further research, you will probably find that there is not a lot of detectable gold outside the western states. I'm not saying there is none, just that it would be a fairly rare occurrence and much less common than in some of the western states - you might hunt regularly for several years before you find even one small nugget with a detector. There are also access problems, as the west has considerable open federal land, where nearly everything is private property in the east. That’s why I recommend new prospectors joining a club to find out more about their area from guys with experience. For those who live out west, there are many choices of clubs, but GPAA is the only one which is close to nationwide in its scope.

Chris

Hi Chris,I found i'd have a better chance out this way to find stashed gold rather than that from the earth.lol I did find some New york treasure hunting yahoo groups and found it interesting and neat to see what some of the "rocks" ive picked up are.wondering now what those gold flakes are in a stream i go to are. :D I think them to be some kind of mica flakes but being you said gold here if found is ushally tiny flakes hmm ;) lol

thanks for your answer

with love,

mair

mair,

Now I don't want to give you false hope, it is true that most gold in the east is few and far in between, and more so than out west. Most of the gold is "flyspeck" size, but the occassional nugget does exist. Here's a good forum for eastern placer gold hunting: http://au-prospecting.com/gold/index.php

Here's a couple shots of what is claimed to be rare eastern gold nuggets, the first photo from VA and the second from the midwest. I've also included links to the pics in their original format.

http://au-prospecting.com/gold/viewtopic.php?t=1064

http://au-prospecting.com/gold/viewtopic.php?t=1061

post-721-1158793210_thumb.jpg

post-721-1158793291_thumb.jpg

:) welp big Dan i wouldnt even tell em!! finders keepers isnt the law? j/k and a bad one at that.Is it really ,New York i think is the worse when it comes to laws they have em all!Maybe i'll go back to my birth place in PA. :P

Thank you Rex for the links!!And naa you didnt give me false hope,its all fun. :)

Boulder dash- cool! id be ecstatic even finding one of em! :)

for some reason i keep hearing charlie brown " i gotta rock" lol

with love,

mair

Mair,if you ever get to upstate N.Y. your best gold bet would be in Canada.Plus your close to many vacation lakes and could find your gold in rings,chains medallions etc. with a detector.Plus you could hit all the New England beaches if your upstate and you know out on long Island there's endless miles of great beaches to detect.I'm originally from Brooklyn which is actually on long island,but not if your from the city which thinks of Long Island as only Nassau and Suffolk counties.Anyway ifyou look and persist you'll find your gold in whatever form it may appear....Dave

Mair: There were large nuggets found in North Carlina in and around 1800--this was actually the first gold rush in the United States. 12 year old Conrad Reed discovered a 17-pound nugget in Cabarrus County's Little Meadow Creek. additional large nugget. were also found in the Creek. Large nuggets have been found in the following Counties: Stanley,mecklenburg, Union, Gaston, Rowan, Davidson and Randolph Counties. The Farm of Conrad Reed eventually would yield 153 LBS of gold icluding an additonal 28 LB nugget. Gold in also found in Western South Carolina and Northern Georgia..Land access issues are a problem unless you are areal sweet talker--then, maybe then, the will gold yours!!!! B):blink:;) good luck.

Thanks Alabama for that link,this is great!!

Hey dave : ) im out in patchogue.I cant wait till i get a detector!Im wondering how simple they are to work.I plan to head over to the shop and look around and ask some things to see.I just want a simple one when i do buy one,than again i was afraid i couldnt use a computer hehe till i did. :D I dont see many people out here using them as i did years ago so maybe good for me ay? : )

Hi Hammer,thats some lucky kid!!!Im thinking golds found in rivers,streams because its washed down from mountains? sooo im thinking welp errosions only getting worse so maybe theres some more gold thats been washed down? shhh....... you guys got the west! lol I dont think im a sweet talker but am realllll sweet :D so maybe i'll get to keep what i find. :):rolleyes: thanks for your posts guys its been real fun and educational and im loving it.

with love,

mair

Mair,if your going to hunt in New York state mostly youi don't need a gold detector.A coin,relic and prospecting dtectoe such as the White's mxt might be the answer.Ask on the forum here or the other forums for their opinions.Very good detectoe reviews on AKmining.com The gold in N.Y. would be almost all fines(dust) from glaciers I believe.Youy'll really clean up on the beaches with rings,coins and chains if you learn your machine and persist.A good coin forum may be finds gold forum run by Doc and treasurenet.Plus out in the west you have arizonagoldprospectors.com nuggetshooter.com in Australia you may try finders gold forum and msn gold forum...Dave

Mair,if your going to hunt in New York state mostly youi don't need a gold detector.A coin,relic and prospecting dtectoe such as the White's mxt might be the answer.Ask on the forum here or the other forums for their opinions.Very good detectoe reviews on AKmining.com The gold in N.Y. would be almost all fines(dust) from glaciers I believe.Youy'll really clean up on the beaches with rings,coins and chains if you learn your machine and persist.A good coin forum may be finds gold forum run by Doc and treasurenet.Plus out in the west you have arizonagoldprospectors.com nuggetshooter.com in Australia you may try finders gold forum and msn gold forum...Dave

Hi Dave ,I was just going to post a question.I was looking at metal detectors and saw they range in price and I'm sure with that function buttttt sometimes thier function isnt my functional for me. :rolleyes::) I'm sure the guy down in the shop will show me how easy they work or not. :)

Thanks and i'm off now to go look up and read some about this stuff you mentioned and I'm sure start a new thread .hehe thanks again

with love,

mair