high desert area

is anybody from the yucca valley 29 palms area?

Lord Gold,

I left you a message over on Bill's board for you. First let me say welcome, you will find a whole lot of people here who want to help others find the gold. For me, I still get excited at every piece I see and I've been at the game of mining for 54 years. The best rush, seeing a newbie find their first nugget, the look on their face is PRICELESS.

I'm in 29 Palms.

O'29 Prospector

• Admin

Hello Lord Gold,

Thanks for joining the forums. :D The first person that popped in my mind was "29Prospector Bob." Glad to see he already introduced himself to you.

Hope you're able to find a few guys up around your country that will show you around.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Howdy Everyone.... Lord Gold, I will mention that James A. (Jim) McCulloch

has lived in Landers for many years. Jim has found "considerable" amount of

placer gold in the area. Also, although I have never personally met

"29 propector," he would make a great contact. Additionally, there is a great

club in the area. It is known as the First Class Miners (FMC). They hold meeting

and outings. I believe Jim (and maybe Bob) are members.

Howdy Everyone.... Lord Gold, I will mention that James A. (Jim) McCulloch

has lived in Landers for many years. Jim has found "considerable" amount of

placer gold in the area. Also, although I have never personally met

"29 propector," he would make a great contact. Additionally, there is a great

club in the area. It is known as the First Class Miners (FMC). They hold meeting

and outings. I believe Jim (and maybe Bob) are members.

Dutch John,

Thanks for bringing Jim McCulloch name for them. I could not think of it for nothing. As for meeting me, I'm looking forward to meeting you. Hopefull at Gold Basin. Can't miss me, I got Bill's old tent trailer and red toyota , missing a shell.

Bob

29prospector... Actually, I have never been a relic hunter. I'm more into gold and

finding overlooked Scheelite spuds and specks in no longer "claimed" mining areas.

Also looking for meteorites in some of the drylakes. However, currently my interest

is in beaches. I have a PI-type "diving machine" which has AGB and tracking.

It is sensitive to small gold engagement rings.

I find your posts very impressive and knowledgeable. Just be careful of any

"loose back." When they were putting in the gulf course at Desert Hot Springs

I was the soil technician/engineer. I was taking a compaction test when the trench

suddenly caved in. The loose gravel pinned me to the other side. Up to my shoulders

but not life threatning. I was dug out minus my shoes and my equipment smashed.

The boss rushed out from Riverside with new equipment and I was back into

my shoes and continuing.

Dutch John,

I'm a little leary of pits and trenches. I was working a cable damage in 29 Palms one nite. Perfect sized pit for 2 old farts. The sides were sluffed right, all was safe as per the book. I want to stand up and get out for a minute and the sand gave way. twisted both knees in opposite directions and crushed my lower back. Sure has slowed me down a bit. That was the end of my hard rock mining days. Still miss the dark underground and stope work.

Bob

Old mines... even ones well timbered are no longer safe. I was in the

M_ _ _ c (west of Death Valley) back about 25 years ago... the

timbering looked good... but dryrot.

No Tommy knockers. They are in the "motherlode." But several underground

miners in Kimberly Nevada once claimed they heard them back many years ago.

As a soil technician/geologist I was involved in a lot of preliminary soil investigations.

for various private soil labs. This was back years ago... we did not (then) follow

safety. I'm lucky. It was an everyday occurrance to follow a backhoe digging trenches

and test holes down 5-ft or more. It was smart to keep an eye on the back when

stooped over digging material for compaction.

Now back to Lord Gold... did you make contact with the FMC? Or Jim McColloch?

If not try Philip Bonafede who lives in Joshua Tree. He operates the "Prospectors Depot."

His phone 760-366-3333 <www.prospectorsdepot.com> Philip is a member of the FMC.

This information was valid last year.

Imagine... :blink:

Midnight, deep underground in a well timbered mine......... :rolleyes:

(Snuff the lights Bob and lets just sit here and listen to the tommy-knockers)

Does that bring back any memories....... ???

;)

Jim

Paleface,

Jeff and I would always start the day off by doing just that. Sitting in the dark and listening. Some think I'm crazy, but those little people will rub you blind. You have to keep track of you tools every minute or they will get them.

Bob,

You already know what I am about to say because you been there and done that, just like I have.....

The Tommy-Knocker superstition may have been started by Cornish miners, but it spread across the land just like the tramp miners did. The reference that I made to midnight, is a gravitational stress time. The gravitational pull by the moon causes undue stress on timber sets and they snap-crackle and pop more so at the peak pull cycles. Was always fun to break greenhorns in by having them turn off their lights and listen to the erieeee sounds. Then tell them the about the Tommy Knocker legend. I have heard the little guys in gold and silver mines, uranium mines, copper mines and a Potash mine. Listening to what the ground is telling you has saved many a life underground. Yep, tell a greenhorn that story and slip a little gelamite into his hat band and blame it onto the TK`s...... :rolleyes:;)

Jim

Bob,

You already know what I am about to say because you been there and done that, just like I have.....

The Tommy-Knocker superstition may have been started by Cornish miners, but it spread across the land just like the tramp miners did. The reference that I made to midnight, is a gravitational stress time. The gravitational pull by the moon causes undue stress on timber sets and they snap-crackle and pop more so at the peak pull cycles. Was always fun to break greenhorns in by having them turn off their lights and listen to the erieeee sounds. Then tell them the about the Tommy Knocker legend. I have heard the little guys in gold and silver mines, uranium mines, copper mines and a Potash mine. Listening to what the ground is telling you has saved many a life underground. Yep, tell a greenhorn that story and slip a little gelamite into his hat band and blame it onto the TK`s...... :rolleyes:;)

Jim

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

• 8 years later...

thanks everyone for the info been a while lord gold is still around check out my video on you tube TREASURE TRAIN EPISODE001 more to come next episode all about the landers area if anybody knows any history about GOAT MOUNTAIN thats what ive been looking for ran my drywasher in a wash on the east side of the face of the mountain for a test then i did a test kinda by the mine on RECHE moutain north eastern side but when i went to pan it out dirt got mixed up so i dont know which spot i found a piece of gold in have to go back. need landers area gold history please

any info on new dixie mine area,goat & reche mountains,los padres mine anyway have any of you been back to rattlesnake canyon within the past 3 years i cant believe how they just blocked it all off an tore down old mclures cabin and others that was 1of my favorite spots dug up alot of washes there SAD!!!!!

Well time has taken it's toll since 29 answered Lord Gold... Bob is now gone, but his information

and good sense and will live on in the various posts such as this... jim straight aka as dutch john.

• Like 1