About Grubstake

I thought I would post a little about me, I started prospecting, panning for gold and sniping back in 1964-65. my step father and two brothers and I had some claims on a little creek in an area up by Sonora Ca. We lived in fresno, and only worked them on weekends, as it was a long drive, we did not have a dredge, just gold pans and a sluice. But we goy gold, not a lot but enought to make wages and pay for gas. We had fun. In 1965 I went to work as a seasonal fire fither at Millerton lake, for the CDF {Calf. Div. Of Forestry} In 1966 I joined the Army, I took traing at FT. Rucker Al. and then at FT. Sam Houston in TX. Medical traing. I volinteered fror Viet Nam, went over and servered two tours, then I came back and was stationed at FT. Gordon GA. for 6 months, boring job. I asked to go to Germany and went for three years, I had a 4 day work week and toured europe on my days off. I got really in to detecting, in high school, I was taking electronics, and metal shop, and for a school project, I built a heath kit detector. I got my next detector when I came back from Germany, it was an old Garrett BFO type. It would barely find a coin on the surface of the ground. I drove Long haul truck for the next job, starting in 1973 when I got out of the Army. I went to work for a company based out of Texas, owned by Lady Bird Johnson, mostly hauling explosives and oil rigs. I have hauled parts of the space shuttles and some sattlites. I got of the road in 1989 for 5 years due to burn out, and took a job at Bagby REC. on the merced river. I was manager of the camp ground for 5 years, I had a dredge and three detectors, I got goodgold, 20 oz's in one summer with the dredge. I was mainly into detecting Jewlery and old coins around the river area. Found lots, I had a friend, Woody Woodworth, that used to come in the camp ground and shoot the bull with me every weekend. He got me to write my first article on detecting, I have had a few published since. I really got in to gold detecting after I went back to driving truck in 95, I carried one with me and my wife and I detected the parks and other areas on layovers in different state. Found lots of old coins and jewlery, most of it she still has. I had my first heart attack in 96, and I was still driving. They made me get off the road when I had the secound one 3 months later. I have been nugget hunting ever since, it keeps me sane and gives me the execise the DRs. want me to get. The thing that made me post this, is I just found out. The guy I worked for at Bagby for 5 years for, Clarence{WILD BILL} Brosious died a few days ago. Bill worked as a grip in the movies, worked on all the MASH series and movies and worked a lot with Micheal Landon. He died of cancer. and a lot of people will miss him. He was a hell of a guy for sure.We were closed during the winter, and I drove for a local trucking company on our off season for those 5 years I worked for Bill. Grubstake

Grubstake,

I'm sorry to hear about you friend, and to hear about youself. I have a friend that I've known since 2nd grade. He is one of those repitle people and he knows so much in his head. When th crock hunter died I told Russ he needed to start writting his head down. He throught that was funny. I say all that because I truely believe that you have alot to offer the younger crowd. If we don't pass it down who will. With what you just posted tells me that there is plrnty more that we all need to hear.

Just throught I'd give you my pennies worth.

Bob

Grub,

I hope that you and shep can make it down the winter. We can set up a hunt for the 2 of ya or your can dug in the dirt with us. I don't talk much about this but throught maybe you would understand. Vietnam 1966-1967, proud to have served but lost many good friends.

Bob

BoB, I was there 67-69 My uncle was a Marine, Got shot in the jaw with an armor piercing round, sent him to Okinawa and then back to Nam after he healed. He's like my brother, only 5 years old than me. We were both there at the same time. Thats why we detect together, more like brothers than uncle and nephew. Grubstake

Grub,

Like I said I don't say much about the period of my life. Was up north killing 6 foot blond haired charlies.

Its taken me almost 40 years to come to grips with it. Lost two of my best friends, one right next to me. We went from 1st grade to high school. That one still hurts.

Take care

Bob, I can remember my first year over there, just like it was yesterday. My uncle only talks about when we are out, away from the crowds, because we both know what we went though over there. He never talks about it to the rest of the family, just me. So I know your pain, first hand. hard to forget things sometimes. But such is life. Take care my friend. Grubstake

Hi Grubstake,

Sorry about the lose of another partner/friend, and thanks :D thanks for giving so much, and thanks to all the Men & Women, that gave all they had, for us...

Take care,

Ed

Hi Grubstake,

Sorry about the lose of another partner/friend, and thanks :D thanks for giving so much, and thanks to all the Men & Women, that gave all they had, for us...

Take care,

Ed

Ed,

Thanks. A simple thank you goes along ways......

Enough said............ Let talk gold and Gold Basin Outting.

Bob

Funny, people think, when I say if they would take me back, I would go. They just don't know that its the truth. I would. Surely there is a job a 58 year old can do, let the young ones do the hard stuff, it don't take anything but a good eye and a strong slow pull on the trigger for us old guys. Hell I'm going to die anyway, it might as well be doing something I believe in. Grubstake