The New Season Starts

Good evening everyone. This weekend was the start of our season at the placer site. KeninLa spent the weekend with use and I think he did pretty good. As some of you know we got all our overburden removed and the hole enlarged a bit. I believe the pictures that I post will say it all. They was a few changes made, Doc got a small amount of gold but I think that I suffered the most. I ran 24 buckets Sat. & Sun. and got skunked as well as the bees were back...... I believe the pictures of me will explain the madness of the weekend. On top of all of this we realized we had about 3-4 feet of material about 60 feet long that has to be removed by hand.

Pictures removed to create more space for new posts

Ok, I'm done crying........

29 Prospector

:blink: ouch :o thats a good one! How the bee look after the fight? :) Ive had problems with bees before, and some nice guy showed me a trick!!!! just leave a open soda pop mostly drank (leave about a quarter) about 100 feet away from your work area! Most the time there too intrested in the suger/water to mess with you.................. :P well any way you take care of your self out there B)

airboy

Airboy,

We had set out buckets(3) with sugar water in them. They were more interested in our sweatty shirts.

Grubstake,

You bet I did. Took 3 antihistamine right after the pictures were taken. Took 2 more this morning when I got up. After running 24 more buckets today and got no gold, hell not even a point, I called it quits and came home. Took 2 more as soon as I got home. I can at least open it now and keep it open.

Guest keninla

that picture of Bob looks pretty bad but it looked a whole lot worse in person.

I got stung twice- hand and lower arm. No real problem though.

As far as putting out sodas, water and other stuff to attract bees- they certainly will go to it but there are so many bees it does not seem to diminish the number at all. There is always a large swarm around no matter what you do. I consider it amazing that I was always surrounded by a large swarm of bees and was only stung twice.

I did get a little gold but not a lot.

Ken

Ken,

I'm glad that you found a little gold(don't let him fool you) and some right mighty pretty ones at that. As for my eye, it's still pretty much swelled shut :angry: but the fact that I got skunked is one my wife is not letting me forget :P . She mentioned or should I say asked, "did you piss off Doc or what?" It looks like you been hit by a 2x4. :lol::lol:

She loves I know, cause she makes sure I'm keeping ice on it. But getting skunked, Ken thats a hard one for me to get use to. :(:(

Swelled old 29 :lol:

Boy, When I come out there I'm going to bring my bee hat and netting. Its no fun to be stung on the hand, arms or legs, but on the face - well thats really bad.

Chris

Chris,

The bees were bad but I got stung twice once on the arm and the eyebrow. If its summer when you can make it done be prepared. From the end of Oct. til Feb. its great. No bees, no snakes just some wind.

bob

It looks like a fight, even looks like you got slugged by someone's fist, Hope it heals quickly.

Well at this point, Monday afternoon, it hurts like hell but at least I can open it a little. I can put with a bee sting or two but to get skunked at a mine that has always given gold, well that hurts worse.

Bob B)

Damn Bob: That Bee must have a mean Right Hand. I have been stung a number of times, but not recently, never had a reaction like yours. I hope to make it by you place this year. I like the advice Chris put forth--so I might look a little weird (weirder) :lol: Take care of yourself and get rid of the skunk--happy diggin :)

Damn Bob: That Bee must have a mean Right Hand. I have been stung a number of times, but not recently, never had a reaction like yours. I hope to make it by you place this year. I like the advice Chris put forth--so I might look a little weird (weirder) :lol: Take care of yourself and get rid of the skunk--happy diggin :)

Hammer,

Hell man I an't got to common sense, I'm heading out in the morning. Actually the tractor man called and wants to meet with me so we can finish digging out our site and open up 4 smaller sites for friends. This is where I could sure use Chris on site. The ironary to this whole thing was we had a beekeeper with us. He was helping me carry buckets. He got the stinger out within 10-15 seconds. I'm packing the antihistamine tomorrow. :lol:

Bob B)

Are you following the original west hole upstream or are more spreading out the hole? Sounds like you may be getting out of the paystreak in the direction you are going. There may not be any change of material, but you can get out of the paystreak and out of the gold pretty fast.

Gotta follow that gold! The gold in your box never lies - it tells you exactly where the paystreak is. You dont want to spend any more time digging barren material than absolutly necessary. A bad sample has still useful information - what is it telling you? I always do better when I stop and think a bit about things a bit. I ponder what I'm doing, what the material is telling me, what the amounts of gold I am finding is telling me, where the paystreak is seeming to go, where the source of the gold is located, bends in the stream, changes in grade, etc.

I found that 1 penneyweight nugget on Saturday because I thought about things after I left the first time - I decided I ought to dig any repeatable sound on my detector even if it didn't sound like a normal target - because I was only 5 or 6 feet from the spot where I detected two nice nuggets (it sounds like a no brainer, but it took a while to sink in through my thick skull). That little nugget told me a lot about my detector and the true meaning of what I was hearing.

Wish I could join you for a couple days, but its just not possible right now. Pretty much for sure next summer.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the advice. What we are doing is following two different pay zones. We are staying on our first zone and than opened up a zone that a man was working in the 80's and did very well. He just got to old to continue. Both are snaking thir way southwest toward the west end ox bow. So we figured we might as well open up the ridge between the 2 flows.

I think I will take a few minutes and study it. Always helps tp have a fresh mind and idea. Thanks for the reminder.

Bob