Future of gold prospecting

Not being sarcastic, but it's been going on for a really long time-that's obvious I guess...

There seem to be incremental advances in methods of prospecting that

allow people to continue to find gold in areas

that have been worked before and in areas that are new.

Hope thats not too simplistic,

I am sure there are other, more qualified people who can add to this.

But short answer, imho; does it have longevity?

yes B)

Flak

estrutter,

We as to the future of mining and prospecting? It's hard to say, people have been at it for centuries and people are still finding gold.

As for my opinion, all I can tell you is this, I'm 60 yrs. old and have mining and prospecting in some form or another for 54 years. Started with my father and we worked at it til his death 1988. I've picked up the torch and will carry it til I die. Have I found gold? Yes, and alot of it.

So I guess its up to the person involved in it. It's not an easy life or hobby can be expensive and it takes alot of will. Its not for the faint hearted.

Bob

I guess 29 prospector has me beat for years out there digging, but I have been prospecting and mining for gold both as a hobby and as an occupation for over 30 years and in my opinion it’s a blast! From the deep green forests to the rolling sagebrush hills, few people see as much of America’s wide open spaces as I do. I kick around kooky little old towns in the middle of nowhere. I visit historic sites where the pioneers of the west toiled for years to extract precious metals from the ground. As fun as that is though, finding your own gold, either as a nugget or in solid hard rock is a special experience that’s hard to equal. 

In the deserts, on the hillsides and in the mountain streams, there is still gold to be found in many places. Every year there are still great finds being made, mostly in the western states (at least as far as locations within the USA). Even large nuggets over an ounce or more in size are still being recovered – they are not all that common, but they are still found. Flakes and small chunks of gold are far more common finds. Its not easy, and not every day will be a home run, especially for the beginner. Patience is required and some days just have to be chalked up to the quest to gain knowledge and experience. Even for most of the experienced participants it’s a pastime, and you need to consider the benefits of other things like good exercise, getting away in the great outdoors along with the value of the gold recovered.

Chris

The quest for gold maybe your main objective at first but once you get out for a day, a weekend or even a week the gold is still there but so much more is found. Like Chris, I've been at this for so long that it has become partof me. Sitting out at nite and listening to the hills and night animals talk to each other, that is a feeling that can not be replaced and the gold, icing on the cake

estrutter,

We all get what we get out of it in our own ways.Its something you have to do in order to answer your own question.There is STILL gold out there......not just lil stuff either!There are many weekender types here....but I go in for the whole season at times.So I can honestly say I've done more than a weekender whos been at it for 30 years.12 x's 6 months ='s 72 solid months......and thats just ONE 72 month stretch...not including all the other trips & days Ive been out there.Then there are the times that are forgotten or priceless.But I'd bet most of us dont add up the gold & the time......I do it to forget time itself...its more of a blessing than a bragging.

Bigfoot

I think that, for the folks who fail at the search for gold, it's the gold...For those folks who succeed, it's the search that counts and the gold's just a mere trophy for the hunt...Photo below shows one I got near home yesterday...$90 Nugget, but I guarantee you I haven't paid for my gas in years...But I have paid for my grin.... :D ..Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

• Admin

Hello Uncle Ron,

Congrats on the Vulture Nuggie! :D It's always a good feeling when you find a nugget in a new location. You just never know how big the area might be and how much potential it might hold. Wishing you the best of luck out there and hoping you're just on the edge of a good patch.

P.S. Have you been back out to the spot I told you about?

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob...Yes, I did go back out again to that spot and went all the way up to the impassable waterfall and saw all the workings I'd missed the first time because of not walking far enough....Found a bunch of wire bits and some rusty crud, but no gold...Then I went way down stream and found my very first little copper nugget I've ever found...Brought it home and soaked it in CLR for overnight...Came out like a new dinky penny....But zilch on the AU...I think you guys got it all...Thanks for the tip, though....Cheers, Ron