lava domes

Hi Yall,

I just walked in the door. Anyone know of any lava domes? I live in South Carolina, just south of the Carolina Slate belt near Jefferson and Kershaw. Lots of gold mines here. Wish I could find a way to topo lava domes in this region. They would be extremely worn down. ANY info would be appreciated. Thanks from the newbie,

Mike

• Admin

Hello Mike,

I would think some geologic maps would show the lava domes or at least areas with a lot of basalt. I would check with your State Land Department, State University or any type of State Geologic Survery if you have one.

I would assume some of the gold is associated with lava domes over there?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hello Mike,

I would think some geologic maps would show the lava domes or at least areas with a lot of basalt. I would check with your State Land Department, State University or any type of State Geologic Survery if you have one.

I would assume some of the gold is associated with lava domes over there?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Mike,

Looks like you hit the "Reply with Quotes" button instead of the "Add Reply" button on the bottom of the page. Let me know if you need help trying to locate some maps for you. I'm sure one of three agencies I listed above should be able to help. You might also consider the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thank you Rob,

Yup, your right, wrong button. Just being curious, I went to USGS, put in south carolina and gold. Came back with 288 gold mines, mostly near here. http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mrds/find-mrds.php. You can search for many types of resources at this site, but basalt isnt listed. Olivine is, but no response. Great idea you had Rob. Love using Google Earth. I have two friends who own land right in the Gold belt. Already have permission to grab my pan and hit the streams on their property. One of them lives on the side of a hill. Wish I had taken geology in school. HA. Thanks again Rob,

• Admin

Hello Mike,

You're very welcome! ;) Hope you're able to find some good color at some of those spots. Good friend lives up in the Carolina's, but he had a lot of trouble trying to access the better spots. Most of them seemed to be on private ground from what he mentioned. :( He ended up selling his Minelab SD2100 due to the access issue and very few good spots to hunt.

Take care,

Rob Allison