Does cleaning nuggets hurt value?

I was wondering if the gold nuggets i purchased off ebay that were cleaned in acid worth less than the uncleaned nuggets? I am a nugget collector that likes samples with no inclusions. Is that the norm with second hand nuggets? Are most natural nuggets that are put up for auction cleaned? I like them either way as long as they are natural and no inclusions! Please let me know if value is hurt if nuggets are cleaned but, not damaged during this cleaning! Thanks all, GR8GOLDONLY :unsure:

I would say no, most guys clean there nuggets in mild muraitc acid, and only use dish soap and a tooth brush to finish up. Some don't like the cleaned at all, they want to see the dirt and matrix that the nugget was in. I guess its up to the buyer. grubstake

Just don't usea chlorine based chemical to clean your nuggets!

Not a good thing to do!

Karl

Now for my 2-cents worth. I'm sorry to say there are nice pretty clean bright "fakes"

being sold. The gold is real, but it was used to make an "artificial" nugget. IMO, a

little dirt and small inclusions of quartz can add "character" and enhance the value

as a specimen. However, this is a matter of personal preference. Again, this is just

my "old-time" opinion. And to "do" or "not do" can be iffy. It depends upon the x-tal

system of the individual nugget (ie., alluvial or eluvial).

Also, anyway you are not buying the nugget at "spot" for its "gold content."

Most nuggets are impure. They are alloyed with other metals.

However, getting back to GR8GOLDONLY, you are on the right track. Whatever,

you can't go wrong. Buy some cleaned, some as found. Also try to get the history

of where the nugget came from. This will add both ways; to investing in gold, and

becoming more knowledgeable. Also, use a dirty "as found" nugget as a test-nugget

in nuggetshooting.

Over the years, as the goldfields are devoured by large heap leach open

pit mining operations, or worked out, or the pay-zone become unprofitable

to work; a known nugget from a particular area, by being "rare," will increase

in value, and become more valuable as a specimen.

post-73-1162421953_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if the gold nuggets i purchased off ebay that were cleaned in acid worth less than the uncleaned nuggets? I am a nugget collector that likes samples with no inclusions. Is that the norm with second hand nuggets? Are most natural nuggets that are put up for auction cleaned? I like them either way as long as they are natural and no inclusions! Please let me know if value is hurt if nuggets are cleaned but, not damaged during this cleaning! Thanks all, GR8GOLDONLY :unsure:

So, which of these would you rather show off in your collection?

One right out of the ground, rough, crevasy, full of a couple dwt of dirt?

Or after a good scrubbing with soap and toothbrush, with one small piece of quartz imbedded in the side?

To my eye, that piece of quartz makes the nugget. It gives it character and eye appeal, a uniqueness unmatched in it's natural beauty. And I think it adds to its value because of it.

Digger Bob

post-73-1162422060_thumb.jpgpost-73-1162421953_thumb.jpg

gr8goldonly,

I guess if I were into collecting(which I'm not)...I would have to know which types are more rare than others compared to the more common pieces....clean or not."Usually" specimens are sold CLEAN...anyone can allways add dirt later to it...if thats what they like.

The "FROG" placer piece (below)includes radiating ribbon or bladed type crystals but the ArsenoPyrite/AU lode specimen is the more rarest one between the two because of the rare AU to ArsenoPyrite ratio...contrast at its finest!Also the size of the sulphide crystals in the lode piece is another plus.THEN there are specimens that are price determined by the collector rather than the true Geological Value or actuall rarity.

In mechanics terms........if you fancy older compact cars that explode on impact when the gas tank is hit versus cars that just dent when hit...then its "Pinto Gold" your after and not just plain ol common rounded HUGO gold...eh-hem!(I know this "terminology" is a stretch...but it gets the point across!lol)

BIGFOOT

post-774-1162434029_thumb.jpg

post-774-1162434064_thumb.jpg

I agree with most of the above. Personnally, I keep my gold, dish soapped and tooth brushed clean and that's it. Chemicals can burn a different colour into the nugget. Dirt don't weigh much and if there's enough to matter after a good tooth brush'n, the nuggets too small to buy anyways! ;)

I don't really think you can hurt the value of nuggets, coins are another story. I do think the best way to clean gold is to put in some kind od container with finer size gold. Here's some pictures of a large container that I'm cleaning a few oz at one time. I just uses water and I will just carry it in my pocket for weeks. I think if some nuggets had a bad clean job you could do this to make them look better, but to clean gold with gold is the way to go ld. ;)

Kim

post-1553-1162447458_thumb.jpgpost-1553-1162447474_thumb.jpg

post-1550-1162449288_thumb.jpgThanks so much for all your feedback on this subject. I still can't reproduce the luster of some of the ones i purchased off ebay. I used the toothbrush and dish soap on a nugget that a friend from Nevada sold me and it just dont gleem like the one pictured above that i bought off ebay. This 2 plus gram nugget i bought off ebay looks like a piece of jewelry it gleems so, even in low light. The ones i cleaned with toothbrush and soap just looks dull! Does it matter what part of the world the nugget comes from as far as it's sparkle? I have some from Alaska that gleem and some look dull from the same part of alaska. What gives? :blink:

All gold is different, they got it down chemically, they can tell what mine it came from, some has more copper than silver, some has more silver than copper, or even platinum, it could be alloyed with a nuber of different metals, thats wht makes every nugget a one of a kind. Grubstake

I use a black film container and household amonia, I have tried various other methods and found this the best for my gold, MT, ID, & AZ gold, jsut walk around for a couple of hours or shake it for awhile or even let it soak overnight and then shake it for awhile. Works great.

just my2 cents worth

Allen inMT

gr8goldonly,

You CAN reproduce that Ebay luster!Listen & try this recipe and I garauntee you can make some of the most stubborn to shine gold........ SHINE!

Put your pieces & dust in a WATERTIGHT container (a 2 oz. PLASTIC SCREW TOP type of vial)will work for now.Fill with about 1/3 gold dust/gold nuggets....then pour vinegar into vial till 1" from top of vial.Now slowly add regular table salt into vial...but dont completely fill the vial.There must be at least a 1/2 inch air pocket at top of vial!

So now you have a plastic vial with 1/3 gold and the rest is a wet slurry of salt & vinegar filled almost to the top(- 1/2" from top)...screw on the vial top and shake vigorously this with whichever hand for 20 to 40 minutes.MAKE sure its a secure/snug fitting vial top....and dont use a GLASS VIAL,this will break!You can also use vitamin bottles or other substitutes for a 2oz. plastic vial.DONT CLEAN ANY SUPER FRAGILE LODE GOLD THIS way...it may fracture it.

After your gold is shined to a unbelievable brightness.......add warm water from a running faucet to your vial(in a sink with a gold pan underneath your vial in case you like to spill things)and the water disolves the salt!No need for panning for seperation....just add warm water.Add water & shake till ALL the salt is gone.If gold is NOT shined enough keep aggitating/shaking gold till desired luster is achieved by repeating proccess.

Some may try this approach BEFORE cleaning any crystaline gold/quartz specimens...because the acids normally used may cause unwanted porositys and resluts.THIS METHOD OF CLEANING ALLWAYS WORKS!There is no gold or electrum it wont clean.Its a safe,controled method of cleaning.

The nugget below was found in a high iron/maganese deposit...and because of these additional metals present in the circulating waters...it caused the specimen to have a cinnamon brown to black stain on it.I had to scrape its surface first before I was convinced it was the real thing...it doesnt always glitter.

Bigfoot

post-774-1162669854_thumb.jpg

I had a jeweler friend of mine solder on a loop to a nugget I had to make a necklace for my wife and asked him to just leave it plain. He ended up buffing it on some kind of brass wheel or soft pad like material. It came out nice and shiney but not to my liking.

Mugsy

mugsy,

Sometimes the soldering alloys oxidate into a different non-matching color when its done that way.I had the same thing happen to me on a 3 pennyweight piece that actually turned into a faded green color right where he soldered the bale onto the nugget...it sticks out like a sore thumb!

There are ways of fixing this but even with a experienced jeweler its to tricky & costly.Some pieces are so small,fragile and quartz loaded that it seems better to drill a small hole through the strongest part of the specimen and run a guitar string through it for a stainless steal bale as a means for a stronger fastening that wont subject the AU(and/or quartz)to a color altering heat source that wont shatter the quartz as well.

You gotta either make sure the jeweler is experienced enough or make sure he uses a safer non-soldering technique.

Bigfoot

MR.COLORADO BOB,

I be just fine.How you be?I've heard & seen many different methods of AU cleanin and after testing this & that throughout the years the salt & vinegar method works best...at least for me it does! ;) the best thing about it is not having to do anymore panning.You only seperate your blacksands once and thats it.

After a while though...AU will oxidize dependent on how pure it is and other conditions and etc. etc..

Later On,Bigfoot

post-774-1162877047_thumb.jpg

post-774-1162877345_thumb.jpg