2100V2 "Unloading" blast question.

I have talked to a few about this annoyance and it seems some have it and some don't with their 2100's. Does anyone have any fix for it without losing performance? 2 guys on another treasure forum swear theirs are hot detectors over others since they both have the problem and apparently do well with them over others. One guy in treasure net's archives swears his hasn't worked as well since he had the factory repair it to stop unloading. I don't have any complaints on performance of the unit but I have stopped using my cordless headphones because of it and sure would like to go back to them. The problem has been there since I first used it in stock condition but the high gain of the headphones I made just amplifies the BONG to a point of almost making my ears bleed.

While I'm asking... Do any of the newer units do the same thing? My 3000 didn't and I'm considering a 3500 to get away from the problem but if it still exists then I don't see a reason to bother. I actually cringe while stooping to dig out a target because I just know the thing is going to take a big puke in my ears sometime during the dig.

Anyone? Bueler?.... :D

What headphones are you using?

Check out the Detector Pro Black Widow's. They seem to deliever a nice crisp signal yet don't blow your ears of in the volume department.

My cordless system uses a Sony headphone but I have a clipping amplifier on them that I can vary the gain on to greatly increase tiny signals. I have a pair of widows also and use them when I just run out of patience and can't handle the punishment of the blast. The problem is still there though just not as loud. I really wish there was a way to stop the thing detector from doing it to begin with, but fear I will lose depth as I have been told will happen.

Yo Shadow....Do you carry a cell phone with you? Try turning it off. I discovered that the homing signal it sends out completely interferes with my Gold Bug 2 and sometimes cause the kind of interference you're talking about with my sd2100...Just a suggestion...Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hello Shadow,

The only "Blasting" I know about is when the detector's searchcoil builds up "static electricity" and then discharges it with a load "BONG!!" This is normally a very loud signal. If you drag or scrub your coil a lot this will happen, but more so in hot and dry climates (Arizona Summers).

This might not be what you're even talking about, but maybe so .... :huh:

Rob Allison

Nope, no cell phone or any other gadget running on me. I can almost predict when it will happen. When I have been swinging it for 1/2 hour or so and then stop for a moment to dig something or just take a drink. If the coil isn't moving I have about a full minute before getting blasted. If I keep it moving the problem is rare but does still happen once in a while. On some deep targets it can go off a few times while digging and the coil is stopped.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Check the thumb screw on the coil cable where it connects to the control box, even if it feels tight push in on the cable below the thumb screw and then tighten it again as tight as possible. Have you tried a different coil?

Dear The Shadow;

I feel that the SD2100v2 is so jam packed electrical with energy that occasionally it needs to bleed off some of the excessive energy buildup before the detector explodes. THis is what the BONG noise is. The GP series are weaker detectors and thus they don't emit a BONG noise. Consider the BONGGGG to be sort of an electronic safety blowoff valve, much like air compressors have. A nice series of super-loud BONGS is a great indicator the SD2100 is functioning normally and producing full power. :D

Your friend;

LAMAR

I decided to call Minelab today about it. All of tech support is out sick but I did speak to a guy in service who said he had never heard of such a thing happening with the 2100's or any others for that matter. I'll try again to reach tech support on Monday. Sounds strange to me that service wouldn't have heard about it before and had no clue other than to ask me the standard questions about my connections being tight, do I set it down or just drop it (that was a funny one) and the best one... is my battery charged? Probably why he isn't in tech support to begin with.