A little help please

Tragedy struck over the weekend. I don't know if this life can be saved but if anyone has a suggestion, I would welcome it.

While digging out a big rock, the handle of my favorite pick broke! I mean it just shattered! I wasn't prying on the rock or anything destructive. The point hit the rock just like it has thousands of others, when SNAP!, I was holding half of it in my hand. It even cleanly split the friction tape I had wrapped around it.

The head is rivited on so I don't know how to get the old one out or how to attach a new one if I can find one. Doc, any ideas? Can it salvaged? Do you carry spare ones? I imagine it would price prohibative to send it back to Coiltek or whereever it came from, but I couldn't bear to throw it away, especially when a new one is almost $100. So, I appeal to the masses of handymen out there, can this beautiful piece of workmanship be saved?

Digger Bob

post-73-1162922045_thumb.jpg

Bob, I changed mine out by grinding off the head of the rivet, punch it out, pull out the old handle, go to home depot and get a fibreglass maul handle, grind it down to fit the neck of the pick, pour some heavy duty glue in the hole, drive the handle down in, drill a hole through the rivet hole, put a bolt in, tighten the bolt real good, round off the nut and bold head with your grinder and you're good to go...Simple, eh? Cheers, Unc

Bob, I changed mine out by grinding off the head of the rivet, punch it out, pull out the old handle, go to home depot and get a fibreglass maul handle, grind it down to fit the neck of the pick, pour some heavy duty glue in the hole, drive the handle down in, drill a hole through the rivet hole, put a bolt in, tighten the bolt real good, round off the nut and bold head with your grinder and you're good to go...Simple, eh? Cheers, Unc
Ya, What he said.

Best to replace with good straight grained hickory but if you can't for whatever reason there is a good fix. First prep it to insure it fits back together well. Apply liberal amounts of well mixed 1 hour epoxy to both sides and clamp for 24 hours. Clean or sand of the glue that squeezed out and wrap the break in two layers of 1 oz fiberglass cloth. Mix and brush on glass resin and let cure, then go try to break it again! Won't happen!

Tragedy struck over the weekend. I don't know if this life can be saved but if anyone has a suggestion, I would welcome it.

While digging out a big rock, the handle of my favorite pick broke! I mean it just shattered! I wasn't prying on the rock or anything destructive. The point hit the rock just like it has thousands of others, when SNAP!, I was holding half of it in my hand. It even cleanly split the friction tape I had wrapped around it.

The head is rivited on so I don't know how to get the old one out or how to attach a new one if I can find one. Doc, any ideas? Can it salvaged? Do you carry spare ones? I imagine it would price prohibative to send it back to Coiltek or whereever it came from, but I couldn't bear to throw it away, especially when a new one is almost $100. So, I appeal to the masses of handymen out there, can this beautiful piece of workmanship be saved?

Digger Bob

Gidday Dig, an ole bloke told me years ago, that a good pick can be fashioned from a old leaf spring, They are curved, fairly wide and can be easily have a pipe for a handle welded on. Surpose you can grind a point on one end and won't cost you five bucks..arahi...

Digger Bob

Thanks to all who replied. I think I will try to find a fiberglass handle to replace it. I may have to burn out the stub from the head. If I can't find one, then I'll try the glue and fiberglass approach.

Actually, I may try that first. If it doesn't hold, I can always put in a new handle.

Digger Bob