Talbot weekend

arahi666

Is that the Finders Superfix I see attached to your GP3500? I haven't heard much in the way of field reports; if it is the superfix, how do you like it? What do you find are the advantages and disadvantages if any?

Rex

arahi666

Is that the Finders Superfix I see attached to your GP3500? I haven't heard much in the way of field reports; if it is the superfix, how do you like it? What do you find are the advantages and disadvantages if any?

Rex

Yes mate its a superfix. Brilliant machine, yet I'm not to kind to leaving it in superfix mode,because it processes the signal in both modes I prefer to use the enhanced minelab mode, with a confirmation check in superfix mode. easy to use , machine runs extremely quiet, a huge improvement on the threshold stability. In the highly minerilized ground it takes a few minutes to set up. runs in tracking mode, reduces electrical interference, excellent with mono coils. And yes its well worth the money. I also got a message that it will work on a GPX4000. thanks arahi....

Hey, you got the Super fix thingamabob. What do you think of it hand how was it working for you?

Chris

Brilliant, excellent, found my first gold with it, 2 trips now 13.5 grams in two different places one with extreme mineralization Wedderburn total of 8.5 grams, and Talbot mild ground total of 5 grams.I'm hooked....arahi.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there all,

Here is what I've found so far with the Superfix:

I've had a bit of a play with the SFix and must admit that I'm still learning how to use it properly, however, I've been able to form some sort of an opinion. It has it's pro's and cons.

It does what the manufacturer claims. In sh#ty ground with a bit of tweaking I can get appx 3 inches more depth over a 4000 on the same bit of gold (appx 0.3gm) and it does quiet the ground down dramatically. The target response when set properly cannot be mistaken for either small or large gold. On small gold, you can to a certain extent elliminate hot rocks and sh#ty ground without losing the small gold signal. On deep mode big gold signals boom in and you can elliminate hot rock sounds, however, hot clay domes sound the same as deep gold and so hopefully you don't have to dig too far to realise what the signal is, or is not. As I can get an extra 3" on small stuff, it will be interesting to see what extra depth is gained on deep mode. Will be looking forward to see what it can do on milder ground as this is an area I haven't really tried yet. The manufacturer claims that you can't use DD's with the SF .... wrong. Yes it is setup for use mainly with mono's, however my DD's were working just as good when the GP was set on mono. When set on normal DD mode there was a slight loss of sensitivity and clarity of sound but still very much usable.

Downside, well it does get a bit of getting used to. The swing speed is slower than what the manufacturer claims, it works better at appx 2 to 3 seconds per metre. I also feel that it works a lot better with smaller coils (because of the swing speed). If you go too fast you get signals pretty much all the time OR you are already a foot or so PAST the target before you get the signal coming through when swinging the coil off the deck by a couple of inches. It's also VERY sensitive to your coil, so if you have a noisy coil which goes off every time it's bumped or brushed against foliage you'll get false signals.

Upshot is ...... is it as good as a 4000 ? Answer is NO (I've had a good look at and used one a couple of times now). Would it be a good add-on .... YES, to any detector, and I feel that it would enhance the performance of a 4000. From what I've seen of the 4000, if you stuck a SF on, it would be an even better machine !!! Would I use it all the time on the detector NO, not until the swing speed is upped a bit. The SF is a tool to be used in certain situations where either life is difficult using a normal operating detector OR you have found a "patch" and want that extra depth and sensitivity to completely clean it out so you don't mind going slower. As I'm still learning how to use it properly, no doubt as I go along, I'll learn how to use it better than I am at present.

It is definately worth having one in the cupboard.

Cheers

Mike.