Being an American

This was true and valid then and is true and valid now.

An argument that is layed on the table now by people and groups who want to support the illegals keep saying, "We are a country made up of immigrants!" Therefore we should not be biased towards the illegals.

Well my ancestors immigrated to the US in the late 1800's. They didn't cross the border by jumping a fence, swimming across a river and being shipped inside a cargo container.

Here is Teddy's viewpoint on immigrants and being an AMERICAN from back in 1907.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Every American citizen needs to read this!

Well my ancestors immigrated to the US in the late 1800's. They didn't cross the border by jumping a fence, swimming across a river and being shipped inside a cargo container.

Here is Teddy's viewpoint on immigrants and being an AMERICAN from back in 1907.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Every American citizen needs to read this!

scorpion,

It's to bad we just can't seem to learn from history. TR was right and I think as you, EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD READ THIS!!!!

O'29er

yeah okay, but isn't that exactly what we did to the mexicans who owned land grants in the us proper after we seized their land and territories in NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO, CA, and parts north?

Is to be an american mean only the anglo kind? what about manifest destiny, indians, naturalized mexicans that were driven away? I am not convinced that we are really on the up and up as we preach. there's a lot of shady dealings in our government and political regimes, and not of the George W works.

before you get all riled up, I understand that we need border controls, and less 'body' dumping. The problem however, is less the fault of the working climate and more the fault of the politicians that have sold all of us out by exporting our factories and futures to china and elsewhere. Bodies mean lower wages, and arizona is not new to that principle.

On the other hand, anybody that can beg, borrow, steal, swim, wade, or crawl, is in their right mind to try a gig here, because there is a future where they had none previously.

I also think that we should educate everybody that wants one, you, me, everybody, and it shouldn't be at a jacked up price. intelligence is the key player in vigilance, and vigilance by intelligent people is the only thing that will keep the government in check. even if people get an education and leave the country, so what? the payoff is in world development of a higher plane.

it takes more than one kind of face or skin color to be a cog in a healthy machine. There are only 3 kinds of people in my book: good people; bad people; and schmucks. The first two think a bit and for theirselves. the last one is the dangerous animal because they don't know and don't wanna know.

figure out the payoff for whomever is spouting off, and then see the real agenda for yourself. over and out, roger willco and break for a truck. hey good buddy how bout a 10-39?

Nope I'm not angry! You have some very good points! I disagree with you Whats4supper where on any condition anyone should be allowed and accepted into the United States unconditionally. It is not a situation we have to accept nor tolerate.

Where as a nation, did we get so complacient and tolerant of others who do not want to fit in to our country, culture and society! From the kids with the crazy colored hair, more pierced places on their bodies than they have natural holes, to clothes that are worn to be as disrespectul and rude as possible, to music that yells at you to go out and kill people and to break the laws of the land! Where and when does it stop? When they are at your front door breaking in to take what they want because they have no reason not to do so? People who enter our country illegally are gulity of violating our United States. It is on the same level as a rapist violating another person or a pedeophile molesting a child! Our country is defensless to these voilations unless we stand up and say enough is enough! No more! The line is drawn in the sand! Cross it again and there will be hell to pay!

If you want to live here. Go file your paper work and get accepted

I have lived in other countries in the world and as an example in Australia there is actually an age limit (at least 18 or a child of immigrating parents) for when you can apply for immigration into Australia and then only when you have a skill set that the government has decided is needed. The age cut off is either 40 or 45. And you have to pass a health screening not only to immigrate, but also to work on a work VISA! So from 45 to 55 you are denied immigration status. But after a person reaches 55 years of age, you can apply to immigrate to Australia, but again only when you have $250,000 Australian in cash to bring into the country. And you pay for you own health insurance because you won't qualify for their social health care. Now Australia only has a population base of right at 20,000,000. You would think that they would want to throw open the doors to immigrants. But no, that is not what they want! They restrict immigration to just those they want and they deport those they do not want.

On the other hand, the US of A which was built on immigrants has had an open arms policy for the most part. And up until the last 30 to 40 years, the immigrants who came into the U.S. assimulated. But there is a contingent of immigrants who are propagandized by their governments to come into the United States and without firing a shot take the country over! They want to wave the flag of the former country and to enter the country illegally and then demand they have the right to do so. And that is absolutely wrong! They want to maintain their culture and shower praise and love for the country they left. And they would love to mold the U.S into a country and culture that they left. Countries they left because the governments are corrupt and they can't make a living to support their families. There are whole cities who have nothing but old people left. I am not interested nor willing to see the U.S become a 3rd world country. In the past 20 years the US population has grown by 40 million people and that is the documented US citizens not the non citizens or the illegals. We no longer need an influx of immigrants to expand into the territories of the U.S. which are now states. Our population has grown past the point of where we can sustain it with internal resources. More immigrants-legal and illegal will do nothing but make the situation worse.

From a humanatarian perspective it is very tragic indeed when one looks at the conditions in other countries. But they need to stay home and fix those problems. In Houston last year there were over 15,000 births in the county hospitals. 85% of those births were to parents who were undocumented and in the country illegally. Who pays for all of these social services..the tax payers. It comes out of the taxes. Almost every year my property taxes go up 10-15 percent. In 10 years my tax bill will be equal to my mortgage payement.

And yet you say let anyone and everyone come into our country...... cause why? Because we are touted as the "Land of Opportunity! That was applicable 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, years ago, but not now! And yes you can well wonder who will do the menial jobs that the illegals do! That is very simple, kill the social welfare programs that allow people to sit on their dead asses instead of working at a job. When they get hungry they will take those jobs and be glad they have them.

As to who we took this country from is also absolutely irrelevant! That statement makes as much sense as brining up that the Spanish annilated the Aztecs through war and disease and took over parts of Central and South America! And wanting a vendeta against Cortez! It is water under the bridge! Countries have invaded other countries for the land and the resources since time began. Do you really think we are in Iraq to bring democracy and a better way of life to the people of Iraq? Heck no, it is because Iraq has some of the largest oil reserves in the world and the U.S. government wants to control it. If we were on an expansionist foreign policy we would make it a US territory! So through conquest, our ancestors built an English speaking country that has developed into one of the worlds greatist and most powerful countries in the world. But our Achilies Heel is our failed enforcement of policy and law as it pertains to illegal immigrants.

It will be our undoing at all levels!

And I don't wan't to make anyone angry either!

But I don't have a bleeding heart that wants to see any more illegals enter my country!

Regards

Karl

There are 3 types of people here in the United States.

American citizens, those who are born here.

United States Citizens, those born elsewhere and migrate here legally

Illegal aliens, those who do not follow the law.

My grandpa migrated here from Norway legally in the teens and he told me enen though he was not an American he was proud to be a citizen of the United States.

After all if you migrate to Canada, does the stroke of a pen make you Canadian or a citizen of Canada.

Allen

Hi Flak!

He has been quiet for way too long! It was good to see his post! I've missed him!

Hope he stays in touch! Otherwise we are all going to have to get a search and find expedition together and go find him......an then he will have to feed all of us! :)

And Directly to Whats4supper: I welcome your comments anytime whether you see it my way of not! And I too am glad that we can express our opinions and not get shot! That is what makes our country and even this forum and others so great! People of different mind sets, temperments, convictions, ideologies ...ecetera who can come together under the venue of a common pursuit and passion and just enjoy and appreciate each other for the things we share in common as well as those things we don't. And I am very glad we live in a country where we can disagree and not have to toe the party line! Our differences I believe are what makes America strong! As a country we can be disfunctional at times, but when the need arises! We are there pulling together as one! Thank you very much Whats4supper! You stimulate my brain and made me think! :)

I am heading out to Rich Hill tomorrow and will arrive sometime late Friday or early Saturday morning!

If anyone else is going over to Rich Hill and want to meet up, please send me a PM and I provide my cell phone number.

I hope to be able to meet up with all of you who I have come to know on this and other forums. It will be nice to put actual faces to the names of the people who have contributed so much to myself and others on the forums.

Have a great day!

Regards

Karl

Hi Joe,

Would be great to meet, snowed alittle the other day :D Let me know and I'll pm my ph# to you.

Take care,

Ed