4000 testing confusion

Rob and/or Montana,

Based on your testing and current experience, can you clarify the distinction of the 4000's sensitive "EXTRA/SMOOTH" menu choice?

I thought I understood this but now I'm getting confused after reading some of the OZ testing reports. This confusion comes from Minelab's use of the term "Sensitive" that refers to two separate controls on the 4000. "Sensitive" refers to the soil/timings switch on the front of the control box and "Sensitive" refers to the menu selection which allows you to choose either "Extra" or "Smooth". My brain is just not as nimble as it once was, hope it's not from past exposure to the alcafluence of incahol.

Nevertheless, if you are using the soil/timings switch of "N" (on the front of the box) what effect does "Extra" or "Smooth" bring? Was that a feature you tested with your depth tests?

When you were doing your depth testing and found optimized settings for your test nuggets, could you have still used those settings for actual searching in the same general area?

Steve

Rob and/or Montana,

Based on your testing and current experience, can you clarify the distinction of the 4000's sensitive "EXTRA/SMOOTH" menu choice?

I thought I understood this but now I'm getting confused after reading some of the OZ testing reports. This confusion comes from Minelab's use of the term "Sensitive" that refers to two separate controls on the 4000. "Sensitive" refers to the soil/timings switch on the front of the control box and "Sensitive" refers to the menu selection which allows you to choose either "Extra" or "Smooth". My brain is just not as nimble as it once was, hope it's not from past exposure to the alcafluence of incahol.

Nevertheless, if you are using the soil/timings switch of "N" (on the front of the box) what effect does "Extra" or "Smooth" bring? Was that a feature you tested with your depth tests?

When you were doing your depth testing and found optimized settings for your test nuggets, could you have still used those settings for actual searching in the same general area?

Steve

Steve if you choose Normal or Salt modes on the front end cap of the GPX the Sensitive settings in the menu are disabled. I use this technique a lot with the GPX by leaving my Sensitive menu timings in SMOOTH but operating the GPX in Normal timings thenwhen I hit a target response that could be a hot rock I quickly flick to SENSITIVE mode on the front end cap re-ground balance and the check the target, if the targets gone then there is a high probability it was a hot rock.

JP

PS I only use the above method on obvious signal in hot rock infected ground (generally hot rocks are pretty obvious), never on deep sounding targets.