Spectin' in mexico.

Anyone ever go detecting in Mexico? I know they have a history of tins of gold but I hear no talk of anyone going there. Some of you are in Yuma and thats a stones throw away so you ever head farther south? Perhaps they have rules there where you can't detect. I tries looking it up but it's hard to even find the history of gold rushes in mexico. How about Sonora or Baja?

So the gold there is not just anyone's who finds it but like government property or something? I kinda thought there might be some rule against it, otherwise I'm sure I woulda heard alot of people going down there. But I wasn't sure. I also thought maybe people, since it keeps being emphasized that it's just a hobby, maybe people were happy just to go out in their own backyard.

I spent a week last winter detecting around Bahia de Los Angeles. Lots of old mining activity in the area. Terrain is horrible. Nasty cactus, tough on boot soles and ATV tires. Military patrols everywhere. I didn't get hassled at all. Met with some Nationals who were logging GPS coordinates for mining claims. Leasing the claims to multi-national mining companies. Mostly lode gold, not much placer activity. I wouldn't recommend it.

There is placer between Ensanada and San Felipe in the Laguna Hansen area. If you can't find gold in Mexico your spending to much time watching Lou Dobbs. Be careful and show some respect for El Jefe and I guess you need a passport this year. Is it true you need a passport now for Canada and Mexico? Baja has always been in the back trd for some of us. Hal

Northoceanbeach. Mexico is awesome. It's the crooked cops , drug runners, and punk kids in uniform with ak47s jumping out of the bushes and scaring the hell out of you that stinks. Everything is fine in the tourist centers but one or 2 guys alone in the outback are risking their lives and everything they have with them. Just your detector alone is worth more than those guys make in a year and some of them wouldn't bat an eye while killing you for it, because they know that they most likely wouldn't ever get caught. Laguna Hansen is a good gold area , but being close to the border it is smack dab in the middle of the main drug corridor. I left that area in a hurry after getting constantly harrassed by Federales, and I was careful to try to stay out of sight, even brushing out my tracks when I turned off on side roads. It is swarming with government troops who search your car every time they see you. Like I said, I won't be going back detecting. I know I would have been in deep s--t if they had found the 10 ounces of gold nuggets I had. ----Bob

• Admin

Hello Guys,

I think Mexico is a beautiful Country. A friend of mine spent 9 years over there hunting gold nuggets and done very well. He left me all the maps, GPS locations and even some contacts, but I have yet to even attempt it. It just seems to risky to me even when I have all the information to go right to a bunch of patches that have only seen SD's. My friend never had one problem there, he said to go from point A to point B and don't mess around. However, you just never know when you might get stopped.

I'm sure there is a bunch of gold left there and less Minelab's, but I feel much safer here even if I have to hunt harder.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob . We did run into Mexicans with GPs and Fishers . They aren't dummies and with the price of gold high they know they have a good chance of making more money in a week than they could make in a year at the Mexican min. wage of $7.00 a day. Many of the patches are well known and are hit regularly by both Americans and locals. The country may be a little backward but they have access to the same technology we do. A lot of the Americans who detected down there in the past won't go there anymore. Some still do and don't feel threatened, but my days down there are over. As I get older , the less appealing that kind of adventure sounds.----Bob

If you have friends, as in real mexicans locals, they can steer you to areas where the narcs are not working. besides, many know of old places where something was dug and left, and many of those may be rich in placer. By pulling them in on the take, you can look at it as having someone that watches your back.

Unlike the states with federal lands open to prospecting, mexican claims are set in stone for 50 years or more, whether or not actual work is being done on them. some companies take trespassers as a big slight.

there are lots of gold places in the Sierra Madre in the states of Durango and Sinaloa. Sonora too, but that puts you near by the mota farms where anyone caught in the area isn't gonna be seen again. they probably won't kill you, but you will end up with a lifetime job, if anything.

always be aware that even when out doing your thing, somebody is gonna be watchin you, and if the opportunity presents itself, is gonna get your goods and leave you all by your lonesone to walk out.

Baja California is a little different, but the gold areas there are in the upper third of the peninsula. maybe you ought tp try a gig at San Antonio, just outside of Ensenada. BTW, the mexican army is looking for narcos, and some are looking for a shake. hard to tell beforehand. You could fly in to some of these places, but all flights in Mexican airspace cannot take off after 5 pm, or before 7 am; at least in teh northern portion of the country.

As for Bahia de los Angeles, it is a nice trip for relaxing, and some really good rich high grade gold was mined about 15 miles south of town, but some of the missions and old mines west and north offer better possibilities for relics and placer.

In Durango, try to find the old tambor district (or somewhere out there). There are places relatively safe, but the fence and the kidnappings are at an all time high in mexico right now, and if you look the part of money, you can bet someone will be calling your relatives and sending body parts just so they know you are the real deal.

You'd be better off looking over parts of Costa Rica or Nicaragua right now, than hitting south of the states; that is, unless you have friends in both high and low places that can guide you or get you out of a jamb.