Vacuuming fine gold

I had a few newbie questions about vacuuming gold.

Do gold vacuum systems run a filter or not? It seems to me that they would need VERY frequent filter changes otherwise. On the other hand, without a filter, will fine gold settle in the canister or blow right through? I'm probably going to get a Keene 141 with vacuum, but I have other ideas too.

I'd love to try to invent a "dry-dredge" that vacuums up material and deposits it into the feed hoppper of a drywasher. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Cheers,

-GoldMember

• Admin

Hello Goldmember,

None of the Vac-Pac systems I've seen have a filter. You don't need one, just suck the material up and into the 5-Gallon bucket. The fines won't blow out, since there is no way for them to escape.

A Vac-Pac is a very important piece of equipment if you're drywashing. I've found a lot of small nuggets in people's drywash holes cause they didn't break up the bedrock and suck up the material.

The Keene 141 Drywasher and Vac System is nice setup for a 1-2 man team.

Good luck out there,

Rob Allison

Goldmember,

I run a Keene 12v Puffer and a Keene 151. I made a vac system using a Polan weed blower. I dump my vac into 2 gal buckets only because of a bad back. I quit using a shovel all but maybe 10%. The vac and a 24 inch Hermit Pick along with a hoe is all you need.

O'29er in 29

I'd love to hear more about the easy pickins machine!

Mind you, I'm not one to shirk hard work, and I can shovel yard after yard (well I could a few years ago anyway ;) ) Its just that if I can find a way for my brain muscle to do all the work, so much the better!

Thanks for the replies so far.

So seriously, fine gold, entering a vacuum canister that is like a category 4 hurricane inside, will settle out unlike the fine dirt dust you can see blowing out of the blower? I guess it matters how much of the gold in a given area is ultra-fine or not.

Regards,

-Goldmember

I'd love to hear more about the easy pickins machine!

Mind you, I'm not one to shirk hard work, and I can shovel yard after yard (well I could a few years ago anyway ;) ) Its just that if I can find a way for my brain muscle to do all the work, so much the better!

Thanks for the replies so far.

So seriously, fine gold, entering a vacuum canister that is like a category 4 hurricane inside, will settle out unlike the fine dirt dust you can see blowing out of the blower? I guess it matters how much of the gold in a given area is ultra-fine or not.

Regards,

-Goldmember

a good friend of mine invented the E-Z pikens..it is an excellent machine if you use it for what it was intended for...he still sells them and lives right here in chandler..if you'd like more info on it send me a private message