Funny about all 'The Guest' appearences......

Many of you know that I work during the wee hours of the morning. Well this morning is no different BUT, I submitted all pending projects yesterday and can 'play' a bit this morning.

I find it interesting as to the high number of 'Guests' that are visiting the various public forums at these hours. Most members are sawing logs at this time. :mellow:

When one considers how 'vocal' prospectors can get at times, not to exclude myself when it comes to claim issues and the like, are we doing a disservice to the hobby we love by doing so?

Are we allowing our knowledge about our prospecting rights to be used against us by our 'posts', or are we providing a simple form or service that will allow others to continue to responsibly enjoy the outdoors.

There is a ton of 'knowledge' on these boards, I'd like to hear your oppinion. B)

Gary

What bad can come of sharing our knowlege and thoughts? (That is, aside from the usual potential for flame wars :lol::rolleyes: )

Unless you give away proprietary information, what's to worry? Speaking for myself, I enjoy sharing information, and if I don't feel like sharing some particular datum, I don't type it. Well, most of the time. :mellow:

All you lurkers out there, POST SOMETHING, ya lookie-loos! :P

-Goldmember

Many of you know that I work during the wee hours of the morning. Well this morning is no different BUT, I submitted all pending projects yesterday and can 'play' a bit this morning.

I find it interesting as to the high number of 'Guests' that are visiting the various public forums at these hours. Most members are sawing logs at this time. :mellow:

When one considers how 'vocal' prospectors can get at times, not to exclude myself when it comes to claim issues and the like, are we doing a disservice to the hobby we love by doing so?

Are we allowing our knowledge about our prospecting rights to be used against us by our 'posts', or are we providing a simple form or service that will allow others to continue to responsibly enjoy the outdoors.

There is a ton of 'knowledge' on these boards, I'd like to hear your oppinion. B)

Gary

Reading your post convinced me to regester, so i wouldn't be classed as a guest anymore, even though i doubt that i have ever been on after midnight.

I have been on searching for knowledge, but, not trying to pick anyones pocket.

My father was a prospector in northern Ca from the end of the 1st world war untill the mid 40s, and though i was told a lot of the things that happened to him durring that time, by the tine i had reached the age when i was interested in learning all the real prospecting advice he could have given me, he had passed away. So, guesting untill i was able to contribute was my only recourse.

I've moved to the Silver City,NM area, and though no longer a kid, hope to give it a try before to long. So in the mean time, i hope to gain more knowledge, both about the area I'm in, and the "nuts and bolts" of prospecting in general.

Luck to all,

Tony

Tony,

Welcome aboard. Think back on the times you and your father talked. There maybe more there then you think. My father started teaching me at age 6, and I'm still remembering things that we talked about while sitting on a rock taking a break. You will learn fast . Many people willing to pass on what they know.

O'29er in 29 :rolleyes:

Tony,

Welcome aboard. Think back on the times you and your father talked. There maybe more there then you think. My father started teaching me at age 6, and I'm still remembering things that we talked about while sitting on a rock taking a break. You will learn fast . Many people willing to pass on what they know.

O'29er in 29 :rolleyes:

O"29er,

Thanks for the welcome.

There are a few things I remember by having done them, like turning a star drill for him to blast rocks out of a field, but not much to do with prospecting. The one thing he left me with was the desire to learn, and give it a try.

Tony

O"29er,

Thanks for the welcome.

There are a few things I remember by having done them, like turning a star drill for him to blast rocks out of a field, but not much to do with prospecting. The one thing he left me with was the desire to learn, and give it a try.

Tony

That my friend is the best gift given.

Reading your post convinced me to regester, so i wouldn't be classed as a guest anymore, even though i doubt that i have ever been on after midnight.

I have been on searching for knowledge, but, not trying to pick anyones pocket.......

Tony

See Tony, something good happened due to my post, ya threw your 2 cents into the pot and registered! B)

No pick-pocket here on my end, we all have the ability to make choices! :unsure:

Like O'29er says, you probably have a vast 'storage vault' of mining and prospecting information given to you by your Dad that just hasn't been tapped into yet! Now that you took the plung.....let er rip!

And, like O'29er I miss my father more than I can mention here.

What bad can come of sharing our knowlege and thoughts? (That is, aside from the usual potential for flame wars :lol::rolleyes: ).................Unless you give away proprietary information, what's to worry? Speaking for myself, I enjoy sharing information..................if I don't feel like sharing some particular datum, I don't type it. Well, most of the time. :mellow: ................All you lurkers out there, POST SOMETHING, ya lookie-loos! :P

Goldmember

Goldmember, I agree with you regarding sharing information. B)

To a degree my post refers to other enities the could use the growing knowledge of todays modern prospector in a negitive way against those that enjoy the hobby. I mentioned 'claims and claim' issues when first starting the topic.

There is another "Thread" within this forum relative to the protection of ones' claim and how things can get out of hand. What I'm concerned with is how this type of activity can be defended in a court of law and, how it could be used to totally shut down the small prospector, club or any valid mining claim.

There is a good and bad side to this also!.......

FIRST, it alerts other groups 'for or against' todays prospector as to what a very small percentage of people can do to make our lives increasingly miserable and gives others ammunition to take steps to stop any type of prospecting as we now know it.

SECOND, it can provide a means for those not totally in the 'KNOW' how to deal with situations such as this in a proper way and within the Law.

Gary,

We prospectors must be careful. The little people come out after mid-nite and try to steal everything thats not tyed down.

Bob :lol::lol:

:wub: awhhh....those darn little people after mid-night!

Gary

Gary, the internet is a great way to share information about anything. The fact that guests view the forums 24 x 7 means only one thing... lots of people are interested in prospecting.

You are correct, most of the regulars are in bed during the wee hours. Most are working on AZ or Pacific time, or at least the western US time zones, and the internet covers the globe and all the time zones. Wee hours run 24 x 7, depending on what time zone you are in.

I have yet to see anyone post the GPS coordinates of their favorite patch, so what is shared is knowledge gained from experience. None of us want to be elbow to elbow with other beepers when we are in the field, but the knowledge shared by posting members is an indication of how generous we are with what we have learned. That is a good thing, and my gratitude goes out to the forum owners and all the people who do post.

I think many of the Little People Gary refers to are the folks that have a different agenda than we do. They moniter most of the prospecting forums for any tid-bit that can be used to discredit mining in general. We just need to think before we post. Some questions and or information may belong in a PM rather than in a general post. Just my Two cents. Jeff

UsuallyI'm on the internet browsing the various gold forums between 2;30 and 4a.m. due to lack of sleep.Many of the guests might be Aussies or other foreign lurkers who are in different time zones and are just curious about gold and gold finding.One must realize that all the gold beepers and prospectors do not join or post on forums,especially those with many years of experience and success.There are many miners and beepers here in the California motherlode who never post or talk much about their doings or findings.Be nice if they shared their stories,finds and tips,but it's understandable with ever shrinking access and more seekers of thew yellow.For some this is a suppliment to their income and others are so serious about this game they will not share any info......Dave