Robs Hole

Hey Iggy,

Made it home, man a good shower, a hot meal, and a real bed to sleep in, can't beat that.

Did you happen to get a picture of that hole that Rob dug, with him standing in it??

He is a fairly large/tall guy and the only thing that you could see of him was from his hips up. :lol:

Nice meeting you and Wonderer today, as well as some other new faces.

Bob T.

• Admin

Hello Bob,

It was great seeing you on the claims again. We really need to get a hunt going out that way before the Summer heat is back!

Speaking of the hole I dug, you just can't leave them. Heard too many stories over the years about guys giving up on their holes and someone finding a huge nugget. Well, it took some time (at least an hour) and the quads wench, but we managed to get to the bottom. Have no clue what type of metal it was, but it wasn't a gold nugget. :(

The hole was at least 3 foot deep. Figured it had to be a 8+ ounce nugget at that depth.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Bob,

It was great seeing you on the claims again. We really need to get a hunt going out that way before the Summer heat is back!

Speaking of the hole I dug, you just can't leave them. Heard too many stories over the years about guys giving up on their holes and someone finding a huge nugget. Well, it took some time (at least an hour) and the quads wench, but we managed to get to the bottom. Have no clue what type of metal it was, but it wasn't a gold nugget. :(

The hole was at least 3 foot deep. Figured it had to be a 8+ ounce nugget at that depth.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Meteorite???? or hot ground??? NuggetBob :blink:

• Admin

Hello Colorado Bob,

I have dug nuggets at close to that depth in the past. One was a 8.5 ouncer at Quartzsite. Dawn and I spent over an hour digging down in a small wash. :( Had a good feeling it was a good target since there was no trash in the area and we dug right through hard-pack.

Another was down .... well I better not talk about it. :mellow:

AzNuggetBob - It was a piece of a iron rubbish, but kind of looked like a Cat Tooth from a backhoe or trackhoe. It was in an old push that was recently pushed again. It was at least 3 foot, maybe close to 4 foot down. Several rocks were laying on top of it and required a Quad and Wench to remove them. I didn't completely dig the target out, but dug around it to see what it was. You know the area well, it was below the "Varnished Wall" where I seen you many years ago when you first got the SD2100. Pretty much the heart of the main run.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Thanks for the reply Rob you really had my curiosity goin. That's about the only thing I hate about Minelab, Their making me dig some really deep junk!! Had to build a bigger pick. Before long I'm goin to have to bring a backhoe???? AzNuggetBob

That reminds me of the the mystery target in Nevada. I was back there hunting a patch that I found in the 80's We took some great gold out of this patch. (BIG) (pounds) anyway I was hunting with a new detector, a 2100 and I got this real faint signal over a wide area, I reground balanced and it was still there, I new it was a target. I looked around and thought this is a deep one and its gota be a bigun.. So I'm diggin and diggin I'm down about two and a half feet and I run into a cliche layer? I'm thinkin this is one big OLD nugget or meteorite. I break thru the cliche its about 4 inches thick and I'm thinkin Wow gotta be old its under the cliche. I pulled out the cliche and dug some more and then it CAVED IN. I reach into the hole removing loose dirt and I spotted the target! COCA COLA!!!!! Yes it was a coca cola can. Apparently It had somehow ended up down and about five feet from a jackrabbit hole. Owell some times you just never know? From now on I'm bringing my backhoe. AznuggetBob

• Admin

Hello Bob,

You just hate to walk away from holes like that when you know the area has produced huge gold nuggets. I would hate to hear the following day someone dug it up and it was a 6+ ounce Rich Hill Slug! :ph34r:

Not sure if you remember the story about Floyd Allen. He told me one time he was working around the Cactus Patch and some lady was following him around. She thought he was some movie star since he was in the Nugget Hunting VHF Video. I'm sure you know all about the video ... LOL :D Well she wouldn't leave Floyd alone, so he just allowed her to walk around with him while he was nugget shooting. He managed to get a nice smooth target and proceeded to dig on it. He was down a good foot or so and mentioned to me he was convinced it was a nice sized nugget. Low and behold he heard his detector shut down! :mellow: The lady managed to roll a small boulder onto his SD2000's power cord!!! :o He was pissed off, but he couldn't do anything about it. Since he didn't have a replacement, or another detector he ended up leaving.

The next morning he returned since he knew it was going to be a nugget. Well, long story short the Lady told her Husband about the hole and he dug it up. I heard it was like a 7+ ounce nugget! Could you only image how pissed Floyd was .... :(

Did you ever hear about this?

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Bob,

You might be right, I just remember him mentioning the power cord, but it might have been the entire detector! :angry:

Floyd Allen and Richard Doherty were very close friends and I will always miss them. If it wasn't for Richard, I would still be dredging. Richard is my mentor when it comes to Electronic Prospecting. They will always hold a special place in my heart and are both truly missed. :(

I will never forget when I walked over my first big nugget and Richard found it! He asked me if I had my gun on me ....

Take care,

Rob Allison