Question for Grubstake

Guest glen

Just purchased a used SD2200, compared to my Tesoro SuperTraq, it handles mineralized soil much better. Was just wondering what kind of coil works best on .5gm nuggets and up at good depths. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the coil wire going into control box giving a false signal when bumped?? I have an 11" mono coil on it now.

• Admin

Hello Glen,

I used the SD2200d for just a short time, spent a lot more time behind the SD2100 and then the GP series. If your searchcoil cable is not fastened tight it will create false signals. However, sometimes if you move the cord it will make a bit of noise. Just make sure it's fastened tight and maybe even use a velcro tie to keep it secure.

As for coils, there are so many out there. I will let Grubstake comment on this since he's used the SD2200d more than I have. Although, I know what coil he is going to tell you! :P

Take care,

Rob Allison

Glen, my favorite coil is the Platypus, it will give almost as small of gold as the Joey, its a DD pro and also has the plus of being water proof. And yes the coil wires on almost every single coil will false just as it goe's in to the contol box if bumped. Look on AZO for a quick fix on that, just a couple of plastic cable holders you can add yourself. For smaller gold try the Joey. But if your in an area where there is big gold the Wallaby is really nice too. Grubstake

Look at AZO, Montanas fix revisited. Should help. That Platypus has found me just over 8 oz's since I had the prototype, about a year. But thats only hunting on Sat. I wish my wife could drive, I could hunt more. But she has to take insulin shots, can't get a DL. Take care Glen. Grubstake

Well keep at it, don't give up, that detector is a good one, Mine found me a couple of pounds, its just sticking with it, dig it all and the if your in a gold bearing area, the nuggets will come for sure. Good luck with it, never like a mono on mine either, much more stable with a DD coil. Grubstake