• Rattler
    • Killer B Optima
    • Killer B Stinger
    • Killer B Wasp
    • Koss 30
    • Other

Hi All,

This is just to start out the New Year with your opinion on headphone. :D

I don't want this to become an arguement but just honest opinion on why you like your favorite headphones. <_<

If you leave a post I would like to hear positives about your experience and try to include value for your dollar, duribility, sound and tone quality and any other great thoughts.

Thanks,

Iggy

Dear Iggy;

I voted OTHER because I am one of those weird folks who prefers an external speaker to headphones. I have an inner ear problem and if I wear headphones within a few minutes I'll start staggering around like I am drunk. It is a problem with my balance and the external speaker eliminates it. Also, the danged headphones are H-O-T! I mount my external speaker on my right shoulder suspender about 2" below and forward of my ear and so far it's worked very well for me. The Coiltek external speaker will blow your ears off if you crank the volume up to the max so I keep my volume about half way and if it's a windy day then I just add more volume.

Your friend;

LAMAR

• Admin

Hello Iggy,

You will find out that the DetectorPro Black Widow's will be right up there towards the top. Everyone is skeptical about the price on them, but once they have them they are sold! Sold two more pairs this weekend at Stanton. The word will get around about them there and I will not be able to keep them in stock. ;)

The Koss UR-30's are a great mid-line headphone in my opinion. The Gray Ghost Series, NuggetBuster Series and Jimmy Sierra are all Detectorpro headphones. The best ones are the Gray Ghost Ultimates, Nugget Buster NDT and the Black Widow's.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Iggy,

At the present I use Koss 30 for minelab machines & Whites for the Whites metal detector. <_< In the future I plan to buy Black Widows for the minelab for a better signal crispness or tone responce (otherwise I would have to get an amplifier witch cost even more) & adding another extra component (electrinic component & connector) in the mix is just another place for it to fail. :rolleyes: wonderer

O by the way, thanks for the window sticker.....Allso like your new Avitar picture...... Steve L.

Hello Iggy: I have and use two different headphpones. For my minelab GP 3500 I use BlackWidows. They are comfortable, well constructed, have right and left volume control. As for the clipper switch, well I guess it"s ok to have but haven't really seen much use for it. Plus they were dealer recomended. Rob Allison. The way I look at it is if you pay the cost of a new GP/SD series detector then the $126.00 cost for really good headphones to go with it is a mute point!.....................For my Fisher Gold Bug 2 I use Koss AccuSound Gold Edition headphones. Very light, well constructed, Cool even on a warm day, good tone quality. If I remember right around $75.00-$80.00 dollars..................Have used less expensive headphones than either of the above and would never consider them again!!..........Well thats my opinon.

• Admin

Hello All,

Well Iggy took note to the vote and purchased some Black Widow's tonight. Iggy and another customer just left. Iggy is going to give them a run tomorrow at the Hill. Wishing you the best of luck out there Iggster! :P

P.S. Keep in mind, some headphones are great for one detector, but maybe not so for another. The DetectorPro Headphones work awesome on the Minelab SD/GP/GPX Metal Detectors, but have only used them on a handful of VLF's (Minelabs).

Koss make a variety of great headphones. I used the Gold Edition for many years on the early SD's and really liked them. However, had a problem with the very thin cord.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Bob,

Anytime my friend ... :D Next time I'm out there just let me know. I will let you use a backup pair (just about brand new) for the day. If you like them and become interested in a pair I always have them in stock.

If you don't like them, just leave me a $20 bill. Hahaa ... :rolleyes::lol::D

Take care,

Rob Allison

Gray Ghost originals, they work and the volume control is nice, sounds like the cream of the crop is black widow though. I also have Timberwolf, which is pretty much on par with Gray Ghosts, the Koss phones are too loose for me and don't block out enough background noise.

• Admin

Hello Rex,

You bring up a great point about background noise. The DetectorPro Headphones fit nice and snug and block most of the background noise. Some say this is great since you hear the targets better, but some don't like it since you don't hear the critters, snakes and whatever else.

I actually like the snug fit and just have one headphone slightly off the ear if I want to hear the surroundings.

I agree, the Koss seem to be a bit loose and don't fit snug like the DetectorPro Headphones.

Whatever works best for you is the BEST!

Take care,

Rob Allison

Yo All...The DetectorPro headphones I've used are the Jimmy Sierra and the Black Widows....Both are good but Black Widows are great...The most important fact about them both is that DetectorPro stands behind them 100% ... That's rare in today's world....If something goes wrong you send them to DetectorPro and it gets fixed and back to you in a timely and professional manner...You can't beat that with a stick...So my vote is that any DetectorPro built head set is the only logical choice....Cheers, Unc

Hi all,

I use Jimmy Sierra Maxiphone II's, made by Detector Pro, and have for a long time.

I sent them back and had a loose wire repaired, as well as the earcups replaced, which were cracking a little from use. As Uncle Ron said, Detector Pro's warranty is great, and service is very quick.

I also have Nuggetbusters, Sunray Pros, which are all right, but seem a little tight for me.

Koss UR 30's seem a little bulky to me, and I don't like the straight plug they have. I think Minelab got a good deal on them, and bought a bunch.

Rob mentioned that he would loan a set of head phones, which reminded me about a set of headphones I loaned to a customer, who didn't have any, so I told him to use mine until he could afford to buy his own.

Later I found out that the guy had won $100,000 in a lottery, but I still have never got my headphones back!

~LARGO~

Hi All,

Went up to the hill this morning with my new Black Widows. Compared to the ones I was using prior it is like night and day. I found more trash today then ever before.... :lol:

I was using the ML "11 DD which seem to work but I will try my mono next time.

So I guess I stink and have the SKUNK in my back pocket.

Iggy

Iggy,

I think we just have to pay our dues. Let’s see, new detector, new search coil, new headphones, you should be about due.

Good luck

Terry

You are right DigAU. Momma is wondering when I will come home with the bacon if you know what I mean. See see the money going out and nothing comeing back. When I find my first I will probably dance around the hole and everyone in Wickenburg will know that I found my first.

I'm confident and have not lost my zing for the hobby yet. I look at it this way. After a full day on the mountain and all that walking I feel great. The expercise alone is worth something... lol

Have a great one.

Iggy the smelly one...

Hey Iggy,

When I find a little gold, I tell my wife, "well, I found enough gold to cover my gas expense," she chimes in with, "yes, but you never pay for the gas with the gold.."

You can never win...

~LARGO~