New homemade pinpoint device

Hi All,

I read about a homemade pinpointing device someone made on one of the other forum many years ago.

Well I decided to try it myself. The device is an old electricians tool to find nails and electrical wires in the wall. As an electrician myself I was familiar with the tool and ordered one the other day.

It has a led that lights up when metal is detected as well as a small buzzer. The blue nob is to turn on and tune it.

With some basic soldering and a few parts I have modified it and it works well. I have tried it out with my poker chip test nugget and works like a champ. Picks up 3 grains around 1 1/2"

Cost me $11.95 plus the spare parts I had around.

See actual pictures a few msg down.

Iggy :D

That looks cool. My magnet gets a lot of barbed wire and other iron bits that sometimes

fool the detector but the lead and brass could also be found with your unit and save some time. I tried using a hand held metal detector that was made to find birdshot in the birds that you shoot so you don't have to eat it but I just end up using the magnet.

Yo, Iggy...That's cool...Does it work on non-ferrous? ... You could have something there if it does.. Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron

I have tested it out with what I have around the house.

I have tested on gold, lead, silver, aluminum, copper, brass so far.

What else would I test it on?

It basically is a mini metal detector with no discriminator.

This device is used to find wires hidden in the walls as well as identify them if they are energized or not.

What else could I test it on?

Here two picture of the actual one I made. It is only 12" long.

Iggy

Uncle Ron

I have tested it out with what I have around the house.

I have tested on gold, lead, silver, aluminum, copper, brass so far.

What else would I test it on?

It basically is a mini metal detector with no discriminator.

This device is used to find wires hidden in the walls as well as identify them if they are energized or not.

What else could I test it on?

Here two picture of the actual one I made. It is only 12" long.

Iggy

hey Iggy thats great can you explain the wireing and give us a parts list , i got have one! thanks Tool

Is the PVC pipe the probe end or the handle? Cool idea!
I'm suspecting that Iggy extended the "business end" (TX/RX) of this device using the PVC as a means of protecting the heart of the electronics.

If it can pick-up/pin-point a target at 1.5 inches below the surface material of a dig hole, he's got a winner!

None of us should forget that gold conductors are used on many of the electronic devices we use today, i.e. the one I'm using to send this message. Pure gold doesn't corrode like copper or silver (Sister Cousins). Because of this, it's a very highly desired material used in our space programs.

The keyword here is "conductive". An electric currrent induced into a gold wire will travel more efficienty and faster due to less heat loss and resistence (impurities/corrosive properties) as could be compared to a copper or silver wire. Other factors play into this but that's for another time.

If my house wiring was made of gold (I might think of re-wiring at todays prices), this basic device of Iggys would find where the wire was running!

Gary

Here is the link to the building plans.

http://66.51.97.78/jb/ahhprobe.html

What the plans descibe is to remove the coil from inside the device and extend it into the tip of the pvc.

I used some old 4 wire telephone extension cord which worked ok. I have a second device that I bought just in case I blew up the first one. I will build the second one with some changes on wire size and try to find some thunner pvc.

It was fun building it. You do need at least a pencil soldering gun and a little experience working with circuit boards.

Iggy

Nice little project and thanks for posting it up.

I picked one up and looking at it I'm pretty sure of a couple of improvements that can easily be made. After I have proved my theory I'll post up the how's but should be able to increase range and sensitivity with a minor mod to the board. I also strongly advise figuring out a fix to keep sand (black sand) out of the unit via the potentiometer opening. A grain or two of black sand bouncing around in it will easily trash the semiconductors.

:D

Thanks Iggy!

Maybe this could be a great project for a website contest!See WHO can improve/modify this thing the most till its THE hottest pin pointer out there!

BIGFOOT

Shadow is working on a mod. I did just because it was a little project to play around with. Shadow will have to figure out the circuitry to see if the field can be increased and pinpointed more.

We will all have to wait and see.

Iggy