ALERT FOR PICKUP OWNERS

I HAVE A 2005 CHEVY PICKUP. SOME RASCAL STOLE THE TAILGATE WHILE I WAS IN TEH GROCERY STORE. CHEVY WANTS $1200 TO REPLACE IT. THE GUY AT CHEVY TOLD ME THAT 10 OR 12 PEOPLE HAVE COME IN DURING THE PAST MONTH LOOKING FOR A NEW TAILGATE THAT SOMEONE STOLE OFF THEIR TRUCKS. Can't find a surplus or used gate in my color. maybe that is the ticket, get one that no one will want to steal...

Mine didn't have a lock. the new one will. just a heads up for all the rest of you, that's all

You can take a hose clamp and put it around the hinge on the side with the slot in it on the Chevy truck tailgates. This also keeps your tailgate from bouncing loose if your driving with it down on a bumpy road. Not full proof but is a deterent to thieves looking for an easy take.

V

• Admin

Hello WhatforSupper,

A good friend had two stolen off his trucks. One was short bed Chevy the other was a Club Cab GMC. The major reason for the theft is the high re-sale value on them. A salvage yard will pay up to $500-600 for them depending on the color and condition. Quick and easy money for the theives.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• 2 weeks later...

They're taking hoods sometimes too! :blink:

You might want to keep an eye on that tailgate guy. Maybe a tailgate in your color will appear in his inventory, after a certain cooling-off period. Probably buys them from a tweeker who does the stealing itself. (Sorry tailgate dude, if you're legit!)

For the meantime, you might find one of those inexpensive mesh tailgates saves you a little gas even. B)

-Goldmember

That is to bad, society is getting so bad to steal like that, people are also stealing a lot of copper wires out of the ground to include your cable tv, power, telephone. Buying a tailgate lock will also help. Also keep your eye out on ebay, near your town.

Have you tried: www.junkyarddog.com for a tailgate?

anyone going to purchase a add on tailgate lock be sure it works as the one I purchased and installed

it you could still open the tailgate had to disassemble it and take it back

You can mark your tailgate stamp some numbers or letters on it so if it gets stolen you have something

to go by to inform the police