Just scroll down to the ones that start with $1.00,

and you will find the BUY IT NOW: US$400

Pretty good deal, eh??

AND

He has a bunch of them, to boot!

I wonder if he is on the level or

trying to take advantage of someone?? :blink:

~LARGO~

I saw one of those kinds of deals on a 2100v2, so I contacted the guy just to see what his story was. He contacted me back and tried to persuade me to buy outside of ebay...after all, he's overstocked on them. LOL I reported him as a scammer and sent his ID and the text of his message to ebay.

I also have seen those deals on eBay.

Many of them are scams to get you to email them a msg and then guess what.

They now have a live email address to sell.

Don't be surprised when you start geting spam email from who knows where.

eBay is already aware of one guy who keeps selling a ML 3000 from London.

The funny part is the picture he uses is from an earlier sale from Casa Grande.

eBay usually deletes these sales as quickly as possible.

These guys also have phoney stores were everything is 99 cents and free shipping.

Don't even consider emailing them outside of eBay.

My 2 cents

Iggy

Hi all,

Thanks for you input and concern!

I'm not even thinking about bidding on something like that!

I just thought you guys might get a chuckle out of it.

If I was going to buy a high dollar item, it wouldn't be online.

Those scammers have spoiled what used to be a fun site to get

a good deal.

He probably sends you a picture of the machine, if your lucky!

Ebay needs to get on that one real quick!

~LARGO~

It's a regular scam on eBay and there's like two different people doing this with GP 3500's, SD 2100's, SD 2200's, and Explorer's. The most common scam is with the GP 3500.

Here's a few things to look for to help determin if it's a scam-

1. If the auction is in the wrong catagory, then it's probably a scam.

2. If they ask you to "contact the seller for the best buy it now price", it's a scam.

3. Have a look at the sellers other items, if they have a lot of high dollar items in the same catagory up for auction and they "have the lowest price on eBay", then it's a scam.

4. If it's a one day auction, then it's most likely a scam.

5. If you do contact the seller and they tell you to send the money Western Union, then it's a scam. They do this because the money is untraceable.

6. If you see one you like, ask the guy to send pictures. If he doesn't, then it's most likely a scam. Trust me, anybody selling a high dollar item like these machines will not hessitate to send pictures.

7. Just remember, and any Minelab dealer can verify this, Minelab does not allow dealers to sell brand new GP3500's for under $3,500.

Have a look at the attachment, this is a jpeg of one of the auctions of one of the typical scammers. Have a look at how he does it. If you see any eBay auctions for GP's even remotely close to this, trust me it's a scam! Have a look at the picture and realize it's a stock picture anybody can download.

Don't get me wrong, once in a great while you will find great deals on eBay for GP's. For example I scored my GP Extreme in a buy it now auction for $1,000 off of there. However this is a very rare occurance. I checked eBay almost every hour for six months to score this deal. I have to say though, when I paid for it I had an ulcer until I had the thing in my hands. Fortunately it turned out the detector had been given to the seller and he didn't know what he had. The funny thing was he was shocked how quickly it sold (it was up for less than two hours!).

When I bought my GP3500, I decided the best way to get one is through one of the nugget shooter forums. I did this because on eBay you might save yourself a hundred bucks or so, but there's so many scams on GP's that paying the extra money is worth it.

Rule of thumb is to use common sense when buying anything online.

Just my two cents, be careful out there, and remember if it's to good to be true, then it is.

post-876-1168889346_thumb.jpg

Have a look at this attachment, this guy's another regular eBay scammer. Notice how he highlights everything and tells you to contact him directly for the deal. I didn't include his pictures, which look very legitimate. This guy steals pictures from other auctions and uses them in his scams. If you do contact the seller for pictures ask them for specific pictures like a close up on the control box or something like that. If they can't give them to you, then it's most likely a scam.

I just thought I would throw another thing in there that helps people out. Remeber to be careful and use common sense.

post-876-1168891010_thumb.jpg

Paseclipse

The one you said that had his highlighted had a fish sidescan sonar and also magnetometer for sale.

On the guy that has the GP3500 for sale I think I'll wait until its buy one get one free. :P

Grubstake you don't have a pole long enough for me to bid on something like that!

Thats when you say he got the gold mine and you got the shaft! :(

Chuck A.

Yeah, like I said use a little bit of common sense and you will be ok. On my first post up there, I once decided to contact the guy and see what sort of response I would get and here's a copy of the email he sent me-

Hi there,

the price for the item is $900 with shipping and insurance included also the item is brand new with international warranty and all accessories that u will need and manual for instructions. I use ups overnight delivery and western union as a payment method because right now i'm in europe, and here my paypal account is unavailable if u want u can check at www.paypal.com. When i left the country i made a deposit at ebay of $900 so all my deals are insured i will only close the deal throught eBay so if u are ready to buy mail me your username on ebay shipping details and phone number and i will contact eBay . They will give u an invoice with my insurance and the product u want to buy same as a buy it now option so we can be safe if u are interested i will wait your answer asap

shipping is free

thanks

I don't have enough time to rip this one apart, especially with the whole "Western Union" thing.

Paseclipse,

Great posts, I think that thoroughly covers it. I also got my GP 3000 off of eBay for $1900 and that was over a year ago when they were going for a little over 2000 on most of the auctions. I bought it from a pawn shop that uses eBay. No one else bid on it and I think they were afraid to deal with a pawn shop. I was also freaking out until it came in the mail. Things didn't go perfectly, the batteries, headphones and power cord pictured in the the auction did not arrive at first and I had to request that they be sent to me. They did send the rest in another box. I think the GP scammers have escalated somewhat since then, but if you check out everything you mentioned in your post it should be possible to tell a fake.

Rex

Paseclipse,

Great posts, I think that thoroughly covers it. I also got my GP 3000 off of eBay for $1900 and that was over a year ago when they were going for a little over 2000 on most of the auctions. I bought it from a pawn shop that uses eBay. No one else bid on it and I think they were afraid to deal with a pawn shop. I was also freaking out until it came in the mail. Things didn't go perfectly, the batteries, headphones and power cord pictured in the the auction did not arrive at first and I had to request that they be sent to me. They did send the rest in another box. I think the GP scammers have escalated somewhat since then, but if you check out everything you mentioned in your post it should be possible to tell a fake.

Rex

Yeah Rex, with a little bit of common sense everybody will be ok. I just watched the GP's on ebay for so long I started noticing a pattern with a few of the items.

Here's another scam from the same guy who likes to do the highlighting, however this time he did up his auctions a little bit different. The pictures he used in this one were the same exact pictures from his earlier auction today which I posted above. Notice two things- 1. The catagory, 2. He tells you to contact him outside of eBay which is against eBay policies. I also attached a partial list of his "other items", notice how they are all big buck items?

What these people do (I have yet to figure out how they do this) they will somehow get ebay users login names and passwords. They will then post a lot of items under that persons account for less than 1 day. Additionally they will also change their email address from time to time to cover things up better. So if you're looking for the same person with the same email adress doing the scams, fat chance you will ever catch them!

Check eBay tommorrow and you'll probably see this specific auction gone, with the same pictures in another auction under a different sellers account with a different email adress selling the same exact items. This is how these people operate.

Again, I wanted to put this in here so everybody can learn what to watch for in order to keep themselves from getting ripped off. Good luck out there!

post-876-1168917391_thumb.jpg

post-876-1168917415_thumb.jpg

post-876-1168917439_thumb.jpg

Here's yet another scam, however this is with a GP 3000. Notice how he tells you to contact him before bidding? Anybody starting to notice the pattern here?

Just remember, people trying to sellyou things outside of eBay could result in you getting ripped off!

Just to let everyone know, everything I've posted here was just a partial list of some of the scams for Minelabs on eBay for just one day! Remember with a little bit of common sense and using some of the things I listed above you will be safe.

post-876-1168918068_thumb.jpg

I'm a newbie on Ebay, but I find it great! I have already dodged two bullets, scam-wise there! I'm quite the skeptic and cynic by nature... about as cuddly as a barrel cactus when approached by scammers! I DID spot a 3500 in Britain that I passed on! LOL! Funny thing is, I joined Ebay for the express purpose of buying a detector, and have bought everything-but so far! Heck, I am at risk of newly-discovered hobbies eclipsing prospecting......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol: 'S what you get when you turn a grownup with ADD loose somewhere that has lots of interesting things....

So, which one of you won that gold bug today? B)

-Goldmember

Last night there were THIRTEEN GP3500s for $650 new, email the seller fast to get this deal. All listed for 1 day, starting bid $10. I reported it, and those 13 are gone, but there are three today, same exact thing, but different hacked 100% positive seller account and different hotmail account. The seller last sold something in October, a $44 car light. Today there are exactly 200 1-day listings for high end electronics, sewing machines, metal detectors on this account, starting bid all $10. The detectors are miscategorized under CRAFTS.

Hopefully this gives everyone some clues to sniff out a fake ebay listing. NEVER, EVER do business outside of EBAY from an EBAY listing!!!!!!!!

-Goldmember