ML Eureka Gold vs. ML SD 2100v2 for a newbee?

Hi, first post, great forum with nice ppl, which isn't good because I'm a wretched soul! jk

OK I'm a newbee from Australia, and I'm wondering what the comparison is between the ML Eureka Gold and the SD 2100v2 as far as performance and learning curb.

I've read that the Eureka struggles with depth and small nugget sizes, is this correct?

Welcome to the forum coldkast,

I have both the Eureka gold and an SD2100, and I have to say that the 2100 is much better at finding gold than the Eureka Gold. Don't get me wrong, the Eureka Gold is a very good machine and it has its place. But after having the EG for over a month I only had one small nugget to show for my efforts. Then I bought the 2100 and before I had it for a month I had found over a 1/2 oz. of gold. My first day out with the 2100 I found two nuggets and when I got home I finally read the book on it. I wouldn't sell the EG as I know there are some spots it may work better due to the amount of trash in the area. The 2100 goes nuts on the smallest bits of trash. My next detector will be the GPX 4000, but I'm still going to hang on to the other detectors I have. Hope this helps.

Riverman

2100 Is hands down the better of the two. They both have there place in the field though. I do not think you would go wrong with either one, But after learning the hard way. I bought a xt1700,xt1800 then an sd2100 and i wish i would have just saved the money and bought the 2100 to start with.

Thanks a lot guys.

I've heard the same things from Aussie prospectors, that the 2100 works better in highly mineralised areas, which is where the majority of the golod is. But I think due to cost Ill give the EG a go, and at worst Ill find out the hard way like you guys did.

Btw, what would you call beaches? highly mineralised or trashy? Because it might be fun looking for leave-behinds at beaches.

coldkast,

You could always try to find a used 2100 as I did. I bought it for the same amount as a new EG. The 2100 punches so much deeper than the EG. The 2100 is a little easier to use than the EG. One trade off is the 2100 don't like power lines. If you're not going to shoot around power lines, the 2100 will find more gold more often. I have had no problem finding small gold with the 2100, at least as small as I want to dig for. If I want small gold, I don't need a detector to get it. If you're hunting where there is a lot of iron trash, then the EG might work better because of the discrimination. With the 2100 you just about have to dig all targets.

As for the beach, I have never used a detector there. I think that if I did, my first choice would be my XLT. Then I would try the other detectors to see if I missed anything.

Riverman

coldkast,

I am still using the stock coil that came with EG so I'm not sure how much of a difference another coil would have. I have heard that the aftermarket coils do help smooth things out a bit. I have added the DAE to the 2100 and bought a CT 14" mono coil for it and it is now so sensitive that I now have to carry my pick on my sholder instead of on my belt. So with these accessories added I just can't see how one could get the EG to match the 2100.

Riverman