Latest Moore Creek news

Hi,

Last year the Moore Creek bookings for visitors was spread out over 9 weeks. This resulted in a bit of burnout in our camp helpers as it is pretty much a 14 hours per day job running the camp.

So this year I had cut it back to three weeks in June, but bumped the number of people each week from 10 to 12. We also added a "day off" between weeks, and so the arrival and departure days shift each week. A nice side effect is that this means people who book for two weeks get a free extra day.

We got a high return rate from people who went last year and even some signing up for the third time, and so the three weeks filled up quickly. A couple weeks ago I got a couple people who really wanted to go but who could not make the earlier time frame, and so I have added the fourth week back in, opening up some more availability. Currently week one is sold out, week two has one opening, week three is sold out, and week four has ten openings.

This will for sure be the last week I add in, so if anyone has an interest check out the schedule at http://www.moorecreek.com/cost_and_availability.htm

With so many prior visitors returning it will be a fun summer, as most of the people already know the ropes at Moore Creek. We did use the dozer to uncover some virgin ground in the highbanking area so it will be interesting to see what turns up. I'm particularly interested in seeing how the new GPX-4000 does at Moore Creek because it has some features that seem directly aimed at our type of difficult detecting ground.

This year is going to be somewhat of a turning point as this fall we will either make a push to expand to "pay-to-mine" portion of the operation or possibly go the other direction and just cut it back to two weeks only. Much will depend on our sampling results this summer and the results of Full Metals continuing lode exploration efforts. It is going to be an interesting summer indeed!

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

You snooze, you lose...

Better grab a spot before they're all gone. You don't want to someday think back and say, "I sure wish I had gone to Moores Creek..." Great hosts that Moores Creek gang. Gold to be found and fun to be had in the wilds of Alaska. This will be the 3rd year for some of us and that alone should say volumes of how much we have enjoyed our stay at Moores Creek.

Ya never know, this could be the last year...I sure hope not!

Hi Gaine,

I've noticed something kind of interesting. Lots of people from outside Alaska refer to Moore Creek as Moores Creek. I wondered about that and mentioned it to Rob or Glen at one point. They told me it was because down south many creeks are named after a person such that it is Joes Creek or Jims Creek or Billys Creek, etc.

For some reason that is less common in Alaska. Around here we have a Jim Creek and a Billy Creek and of course, a Moore Creek.

Another funny Alaskan naming convention. A native word for big water sounds a lot like a certain four letter word. So on old maps you see names like Sushitna River or Bulshitna Lake. The politically correct crowd came along, and on later maps the names became Susitna River and Bulchatna Lake. Would not want to offend any delicate sensibilities.

Things are shaping up VERY well for Moore Creek this summer. Can't wait to see you there, Gaine!

Steve Herschbach

Steve:

Congratulations on your success at Moore Creek. I look forward to hearing more on Full Metal's exploration efforts. I hope they are very successful in their explorations.

I do hope to return to Moore Creek someday - I really would like to do more exploration in the area. My trip there last year was a wonderful expereince. Unfortunatly, my return wont be in 2007.

Chris

Hi Gaine,

I've noticed something kind of interesting. Lots of people from outside Alaska refer to Moore Creek as Moores Creek. I wondered about that and mentioned it to Rob or Glen at one point. They told me it was because down south many creeks are named after a person such that it is Joes Creek or Jims Creek or Billys Creek, etc.

For some reason that is less common in Alaska. Around here we have a Jim Creek and a Billy Creek and of course, a Moore Creek.

Another funny Alaskan naming convention. A native word for big water sounds a lot like a certain four letter word. So on old maps you see names like Sushitna River or Bulshitna Lake. The politically correct crowd came along, and on later maps the names became Susitna River and Bulchatna Lake. Would not to offend any delicate sensibilities.

Things are shaping up VERY well for Moore Creek this summer. Can't wait to see you there, Gaine!

Steve Herschbach

Hey Steve how ya doing, A few years ago I was doing research on finding the fall site of the famous Tucson Arizona ring meteorite. One thing I noticed researching old, verses new topo maps is that names of mountains, rivers etc. have changed.??? I got in touch with very nice woman at the U.S. topo map archives In Virginia, But she was not sure how they came up with the names. But she steered me in the right direction of the chief map surveyor for the U.S.G.S. for all of the southwestern U.S. in the 1920's to a few years ago. Now retired. (He has been there seen that) anyway, The answer he gave me was simple! They usually call it whatever the locals call it unless it offends someone. Here's an example simular to yours. They just changed the name of a mountain here near Phoenix from Squaw peak to Piestewa Peak after a fallen female Indian solder in the Iraq war.

AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hello Steve H.,

Visiting Moore Creek the last couple of years was a blast. I never heard a single complaint from one person in two weeks. The people, food and gold was great! I didn't do the best, but in 2 weeks I rounded up nearly 7 ounces of gold. Pretty tough to find 7 ounces here in Arizona in a two week period unless I would hit a virgin patch.

I have about 4 weeks of vacation this year, but think I'm going to spend a week or so exploring Arizona, Southern California or maybe Northern Nevada.

Hope everything is well up there,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

It was great having you guys at the mine! It is a busy summer shaping up but we all need to make time to find a little gold. Happy hunting to you!!

If anything extra special comes along I'll let you know. I'm curious as to how Swift Creek is going to play out, but content to let others figure it out first.

Steve Herschbach

• Admin

Hello Steve,

Whatever you do, keep me updated on anything new. A matter of fact, keep us all updated here on the forum of any news at Moore Creek or other Alaska Mines.

I still have over 3 weeks of vacation left this year and will have over 4 week in 2008. If Swift or other projects turn up, please let me know ASAP.

Considered jumping in on the last week of Moore Creek, but I think it will be really buggy. :huh:

Hope everything is well on your end,

Rob Allison

• 3 weeks later...