Pulse Devil testing delayed again

Hi everyone, I have to admit that I am out of the nugget hunting scene because there is no gold in West Texas. So I just mostly read the postings here on this forum. But being a metal detector dealer in the coin, jewelry and relic type detectors I don't mind saying that I love to help people out and I don't charge for the instruction I give after the purchase of one of my detectors. I know that coinshooting and nuggethunting are worlds apart but expert advice and lessons are something that should come with the purchase of a new detector which ever you do. Ok everybody take care and God Bless all.

John Tomlinson,CET

John's Detectors

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

It is tough to post since my computer is so slow when trying to post or even read something from where I am connected. That is why I haven't responded much lately.

As for the guy at the 24K who is having trouble with is SD, I am beginning to think his problem is real, but battery related. He told me yesterday all was fine until he was out for a few hours, then things got strange.

He had detected a small target but couldn't locate it. After a brief time, the target disappeared, so he tried his test nugget. According to him, he couldn't hear it until he switched to #2 channel only. In both, he couldn't detect it. He was convinced the unit had switched to #1 channel even though the control was in both.

I wasn't there so I don't know. He said he went back and charged his battery again while he waited for whatever was causing the problem to go away. He left me with the impression that he felt the problem was in the detector and after the detector was on for a while, the problem would arise. He said that after a while he tried again and all was ok again.

Since I am not that familiar with the SD 2200, does this type of condition occur if the battery gets low? Will or can #1 channel dominate. Will the noise level become bad enough that it might appear the #2 channel isn't working correctly when checking small targets?

It would be nice if he had a spare battery he could change to, but he doesn't.

I know when my battery gets low, my unit will become unstable and not work well making most everything harder to detect.

Reg

AZnuggetbob. Rob, Chris G., Bill S. Don't charge for lessons on the high end detectors. Those who have purchased from dealers who don't offer lessons don't hesitate to pay the $200.00 I charge once they realize they need some help , and I feel no guilt in charging that amount with vehicle maintenance costs and fuel what they are. Many go on to find lots of gold and agree it was money well spent. Chris , Rob , and myself don't charge for being guest speakers for the clubs although some give us a few bucks for gas when travel is involved. Chris puts on quite a show with slide presentations etc. There is no reason anymore to be totally un- informed. Books and videoes are also a great help. I'm basicly retired now and have quit doing the lessons except for ones i've already committed to. Someone else will step up and take over, offering these services. Grubstake is doing it in the central California area I think Walt is up in the Kingman area.----Bob

Hi Montana,I wasn't aware there was that many dealers offering free services. I new about Rob of course, but after shopping around on the net most dealers I ran into charged extra. I wont argue that personal instruction greatly improves the odds of becoming a succesful nugget hunter. I've seen the results in the past. I was reminded of vehicle wear and tear the other day when I broke my rear axel on my truck on Stanton road last week. I don't have any problem justifying the $200.00 per day fee. Im more or less retired myself, as you can see I have a hard time making a comitment there. :lol: But I was just kicking the whole idea around. AzNuggetBob

Hi Reg If, There's going to be a lot of if's ands buts here because I don't have the detecter inhand. anyway I suspect that it may be the balance toggle switch. I have seen the switches and potentiomerters have problems but only because of pysical abuse. They usual feel loose or crunchy.If it were switching channels with just a coil bump to the lower freqecny channel side it would tend to ignore a small target. and would make it difficult to ground balance jumping back and forth on its own. That's my best guess. AzNuggetBob

Reg . The battery will work fine right up until the low battery beeper sounds off with possibly only a tiny loss of sensitivity just before dying. I think that fellow is just generally confused and possibly gets more so as the day goes on. Rob also feels that the problem is operator related . ----Bob

• Admin

Hello Reg and All,

Going back to the guy that was having problems with the Minelab SD2200d. Yes, since the SD series (SD2000, 2100 & 2200) are not "regulated" they can loose some performance later in the day. This is mainly due to the lead acid battery dropping to a lower voltage. I remember the first part of the day was great, but after 4-5 hours my SD2000 and 2100 got real noisy. I believe this was due to the voltage dropping down later in the day.

To correct this problem, the 7.3v regulated system from Coiltek really helps. You can run your SD at a solid 7.3 volts for the entire day rather than having the voltage drop down with the stock battery.

However, I'm not convinced it's a battery problem for the gentleman on the claims. I've check his detector once in the morning and also later in the day. Both times the detector ran fine for me. The normal PI noises was confusing him I believe.

Talk with you all later,

Rob Allison

Rob and Reg. The Rich Hill area is one of those places where the interference also increases as the day goes on with afternoons being the peak no matter what the battery condition is. Many people credit this increased interference to low battery. It's not always the case. I agree with Robs assessment of that fellows problems . He just doesn't understand PI language.----Bob

Hi all, after rereading all the posts and considering all the expertice this guy was offered Im thinking this guy probably just did not understand. Some people get it right away, some don't. I was down in old Mexico one time back in the 80's huntin nuggets. I met a local there that used to stop by my camp every evening just to chat. Which was limited on my part because I didn't speak spanish real well. He had a genuine intrest in metal detectors. So one evening I thought I would see if he could tune my Gold bug. So step by step I went through what every knob did and why. It probably took five minutes. I turned every knob out of tune and handed it back to him and he cranked it up went thru every function of tuning like a pro and handed it back to me, I was shocked. Even with my limited spanish he got it right away. Some people don't. But if this guy out at Rich Hill has been tryin for five years without finding a nugget, you gota give him an A for effort. ;) AzNuggetBob

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hello Fred and all,

I haven't heard anymore on the Pulse Devil metal detector either. Anyone have any ideas on when a field test will be performed here in the US? Preferably parts of Arizona ....

P.S. Montana Bob, bumped into Mike with the SD2200d and he stated he is going to sent it back to Minelab. He was convinced something was wrong again. I listened to it and it sounded fine to me. <_<

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Fred and Rob,

No, I have not received a PD yet. As some of you know, Dave Emery has had some medical problems to deal with that have been of great concern. Because of them, I have decided to let him rest to recover, rather than hound him about when a unit will be ready.

I could tell from an email I received from Dave a couple of weeks ago, he still needed additional time to fully recover. Since the cooler part of the AZ season is over, there is no rush now. So, I expect units will be sent to OZ first.

Once I have a unit I will let people know. Personally, I will not be able to actively test one for a while anyway since the areas I will be hunting here in CO are still snow packed at this time.

Reg

Thanks Reg;

I wonder if Steve up in Alaska will get one sooner than you since his Moore creek operation will be starting up soon...Moore Creek will certainly be an excellent test for iron discrimination and dealing with hot-rocks...of course Australia is the best test for dealing with Iron but I think hotrocks are much more common here in the USA....so we really need results from you, Steve, someone on a tough beach and Australia before we will know if the PD measures up to the inventors very high expectations...

I do have some serious concerns regarding production and warrenty issues since Mr Emery seems to be a one-man-band type operation. I suppose these issues are being considered by him also........waiting and hoping.....

Fred

Hi Fred,

I'm going to be at Moore Creek no later than June 1st, so hopefully something happens with the PD before then. As you know the hot rocks at Moore Creek are pretty hot, with a few that simply sound like really nice gold nuggets when using a Minelab. Luckily those are few and far between. But the faint hot rock sounds are literally heard every sweep, and after awhile a person ignores them, and the little nuggets, and the large nuggets at fringe depths. Dan Judd got lots of those missed nuggets but paid the price in digging piles of rocks.

I'm very much wanting to see Dave succeed, but also very much the skeptic. I'll believe it when I see it.

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

Hi Fred,

Which site? Moore Creek? Are you going to http://www.moorecreek.com ?

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

Yeah, Steve, wait with hope in your heart but don't let the hope overwhelm the good sense...What is the deal when trying to go to your site? some screening site gets in the way? Is it just an other step or what?

thanks

Fred

Hey Steve, Digem all! Down here in AZ some of the best targets are those weak hits. Yea we got hot rocks but its that occasional bigun :blink: that makes up for all those dead holes.With the big nuggets everybody is findin up on your ground.The only thing holding me back is some health issues other than that I'd be up there helpin turn over that ground. :) AzNuggetBob

Hi AzNuggetBob,

Be nice if you can make it. I'm assuming we will be doing the pay-to-mine thing next year. I'll know by fall. Stuff happens. We just had a serious bite on some folks buying the placer rights but it did not work out. But if gold prices keep soaring who knows what will happen.

From Full Metals.....

"Full Metal has budgeted an additional $500,000 towards generative exploration, and early stage projects, including the Moore Creek and Golddigger gold properties."

I won't go into details due to non-disclosure agreements, but suffice it to say the quest continues at Moore Creek this summer. We are obviously still a very speculative prospect, but for 35 years my gold sense has been pointing me at Moore Creek. I'm thankful Full Metals has partnered with us to determine just where those big chunks of gold/quartz are coming from. This is going to be another interesting summer!

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

Hi Rob and Steve, Nope I haven't done Alaska. Im more of a desert rat generally. But don't think I haven't given Alaska a lot of thought. I like Steve's arrangement making some great prospecting ground available to the public . That takes all the guess work out of an Alaska adventure and puts you right on some great ground. And pushing those old piles with a dozer gives everyone a fair shot at some big gold. Rob I saw the photo's of your trip up there on the Moore creek web site, looks like you did well. Im going to stick around here this summer and do some local prospects Ive got naggin on me and hopefully make it up to Alaska next summer. Take care AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hello Bob,

I'm not going to Alaska this year, but plan on doing it next year to Moore Creek or somewhere else. Would be nice to get another small group organized and head up together. I've been talking to some customers that purchased GPX-4000's that have a bunch of private property along the Yukon. This might be another option if I can get everything organized before next season.

Was going to stop by this evening, but had to meet up with Bill & Dianna around Wickenburg. I picked up 6 small nuggets today during some GPX-4000 field instructions. Dennis found a nice 1.2 Dwter also.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison