Pulse Devil testing delayed again

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi Fred,

If I get the PD early enough, I will make the initial tests here in Colorado. I have a couple of key gold producing locations I would like to hunt with a discriminating PI. If it comes much later, then I will make a trip to AZ, but I will wait until it gets cooler and spend the interim time finding out more about the unit. So, a lot depends upon just when I receive the unit.

In any case, I will ultimately test the unit in the Rich Hill area, but like I said, it will be when it is cooler.

Reg

• Admin

Hello Reg,

Give me an idea when you think you might make it down here this year? I have a couple of spots that are trashy and would be interesting to see how the PD works in them.

Is your Father going to make it down with you again this year?

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

I won't be down until it is cooler. Hopefully, I will have the PD by then and had a chance to try it out a little. I will let you know in advance as to when I will be coming. Hopefully, we will be able to test the Pulse Devil i some of the areas you want to try.

My dad will not be coming this year. He said. last year was his last.

On a different note I have been experimenting with my PI and found I can increase the sensitivity enough to make it as noisy as the ML's. Of course, I also gain depth when I do this and I am guess in am approaching the GPX for depth now. So, now I have to decide which I want, noisy or quiet. Actually, I think I can hear some of the alien spacecraft you ML owners complain about now.

I have been able to maintain my ability to detect the "invisible" nuggets I use for testing and can easily detect my 1 grain nugget at about 2 inches or so.

I have been working on making this PI a "turn on and go" type unit where it runs basically silent until a target is heard, much like what is done on the disc mode of a VLF. I am very close now. I have superior depth to my original PI and still run quiet. This is turning into a fun detector.

Now, I need to focus on the iron ID feature and improve it.

Reg

Reg. A run silent Detector? That would drive me nuts. That was what I hated most about the Fisher goldstrike. Many of my nuggets come from an almost inperceptable climb of the threshold as I come near a nugget but not over it. That climbing threshold pulls me toward the nugget. I can't get that effect with a silent threshold. Tell me more.

Increasing sensitivity to the point where you can hear interference? And now you are getting better depth and sensitivity? That makes sense and I assume that all PIs and prototypes that claim no interference would behave the same way. As they approach the depth and sensitivity of a GP the interference will be there. Cut the gain in half on a GPExtreme or an SD and there would be no interference problem and you'd still have a detector that would blow a VLF away for depth .----Bob

Hi Montana,

I probably should explain a little more about what I mean regarding silent mode. Now, on my unit I can turn the unit up and hear a threshold but really do not gain much. Any signal above a slight threshold level almost immediately goes to a very strong response.

Now, does a person lose depth with this technique? Well, on one of my detectors that I control the threshold, I can just hear one nugget I have buried and that signal is tough to hear at times. With the silent search unit, I get a nice loud reliable response on every pass.

One might ask why not increase the sensitivity or add a special amplifier to the unit with the threshold. Well, the problem lies in the fact, the noise level is so great at that weak of a signal, I now have an extremely hashy, warbly threshold and still can't easily hear the buried object well. It is actually easier to hear the buried object with the threshold right near the silent area.

Now, the silent unit, sort of ignores short noise burst, so it will ignore much of the noise but will sound off on signals that are longer in duration which is what the signal of a buried metal object will be. So, much of the noise is muted, but a potential gold nugget should sound off loud and clear.

As for pushing the sensitivity until I get interference, I always build that in. However, on the silent unit, I have taken a totally different design and made some unique mods to it. Some might even look strange on a PI. Now, with this design, I can easily push things farther, but I also found a way to deal with much of the noise.

This is also a higher power unit than my regular one, but I can still sample early enough to detect the "invisible" nuggets I showed you.

On a little different note, I do have to correct something I wrote earlier. The 1 grain nugget I mentioned is really a 1.3 grain one. Sorry about that. It measures 1 grain on a cheap electronic scale but 1.3 grain on a more precise powder scale.

Reg

Reg. Your detector intrigues me much more than the Whites or the goldscan. Next time you are down here I'd love to play with it for a while. I like what you say about it ignoring a short spike but booms on one of longer duration. I've always thought that was the best approach to eliminating interference. Hope to see you when it cools off.----Bob

• Admin

Hello Reg,

I know when I used to hunt every so often with "Frugal" Floyd Allen, he liked to hunt with a silent threshold on the SD2000. He pretty much knew he was missing some of the smaller stuff, but was pretty convinced he was getting the biggest stuff.

I personally never cared much for silent hunting on the SD or GP series. I found you loose small and large nuggets at depth.

Take care,

Rob Allison

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I noticed this thread had a very large following also, so I thought I would try to update those interested.

Dave ran into another snag recently that has cause another delay. The problem was the battery. As it turns out, some insurance companies do not like the Li Ion batteries because of some of the problems that have happened with them, so Dave had to make yet another change so he could use a more standard battery.

Hopefully, all that has been resolved now and some PD's will be shipped to OZ later this month. I won't see one for a while yet, but hope to have one before I head to AZ later this year.

So, if things go well, I may try to be at Rich Hill on super push day. If the PD is ready and I have one in time, I will bring it with me.

I will let people know when I do receive one.

Reg