Snake chaps, leggins, leg protectors?

leggings will help with the cactus and possibly with the snakes...the best protection is to always be aware of where your hands and feet are going...most people that are bitten are at fault through carelessness or thinking they can handle snakes like the experts ( they get bit too)....don't count on the snake to rattle, 'cause mostly they don't....

Fred

I have Snake Guardz and have used them just as an extra precaution here in Arizona. Like it has been said above be always aware of were you are stepping and never grab a rock without first checking with your eyes and detector. Most rattlers I've seen want to get away from you and not have a confrontation unless you reach right at them. Also when digging also be awre of scorpions. I have found them under rocks and in the dirt so I ususally wear some leather gloves. We also have Gila Monsters around here and they also have a poisonious. Here is a picture of one from yesterday when our group was ATVing around..

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Iggy

Bill&Diana,

I just ordered a pair from Bill. I've never used them mainly because I've worked underground. With metal detecting or just plain prospecting your moving around brush and cactus. The guards are good protection from cactus as well as snakes. Common sense and awearness are you best friends when prospecting.

O'29er

Just a little more cautionary advice, rattlesnakes can be on rock shelves, low bushes and other places where they could bite some other part than your lower leg. Never reach where you have not looked first...and by the way you may not even realize you are looking at a snake as they blend well with their terrain...not trying to scare you just be aware...

Fred

Guest Mike C...

Lions-Tigers and Bears Oh my ;) The people that usally get bit are the ones messing with them or thinking about them all the time-I'm a AZ native and have never used gators-like whats been said before just be aware of your surroundings-I stomp through bushes and brush all the time no problems yet-heres my outlook on the whole snake scare thing :blink: -Think snake and you'll see snake-don't think about it and you'll be fine-this is not advice for anyone this is what works for me-my time in the desert is limited to a couple of times a month and I certanly don't want to worry about snakes the whole time B) -Mike C... :D

Yo Iggy...Whatever you do, do not identify the person in that pic...Harrassing a Gila Monster is a fine and possible jail time, as best I understand it...So how in the world did the unnamed perp get the GM off his/her toe :huh::o ???? Cheers, Unc

Bill&DIANA,

I hope those PROTECT0RS have nylon zippers, cause if they are metal you will be dectecting you snake gaiters instead of nuggets. :unsure:

It says 'RUSTPROOF' zipper. That sounds like metal. I would think they would say 'nylon' if they were.

Good Luck

Goldbug Ron

• Admin

Hello Guys,

There are a lot of brands out there, but the ones I sell have no metal whatsoever. The are the original Snake Gaitors and come in Medium, Large and X-Large sizes. The price is $49.95 + Shipping/pair.

Regardless of what type you have, they are worth having during the Summers seasons here in Arizona. I wear them more for brush/cactus protection.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Just a little more cautionary advice, rattlesnakes can be on rock shelves, low bushes and other places where they could bite some other part than your lower leg. Never reach where you have not looked first...and by the way you may not even realize you are looking at a snake as they blend well with their terrain...not trying to scare you just be aware...

Fred

Fred,

Very true! Had this happen to me recently. Was climbing up to a very small saddle to get into a side canyon. On the right side was a huge decomposing rock, and to the left was a 30' drop back into the main canyon. The path I was taking was about 3' wide, so I didn't have much wiggle room. As I near the top where the large rock ends is a small somewhat flat area with a few tree's/bushes, and then it goes uphill another 10' to the saddle. When my head comes up to the flat area I hear this buzzing to the left of me and out of the corner of my eye I see this rattler about 2-3' from my head, right at face level with a huge fat belly. It was stretched out straight facing away from me mostly, but was turning it's head towards me. I almost had a heart attack, literally. I'm the biggest snake chicken in the world. I started yelling and ran straight like an idiot. Went about 5' to a rock and climbed up on top of it. I stood there for 10 mins, silent, freaking out because the snake is between me and the path back down. There was no way in hell I was going up anymore as it was all bushes and tree's. The snake is in a bush right in front of me, or so I thought, and I can't see it. It's not buzzing anymore either. So I took a small rock and tossed it into the bush to see if the snake would come out. Nothing. Not a lick of movement or sound. This is really bad I thought to myself. So I yell down and one of my hiking buddies comes to my rescue. Turns out the snake had moved to the side of the path back down. When he was coming up, he got face to face with it just near the top, it was on the side of the path that dropped into the canyon sitting in the rocks. He lightly tossed some dirt on it and the snake slithered away finally.

The lesson here is, like you said, never put your hands somewhere you can't see. If I had grabbed up to the left where that flat ledge was, that snake would have bit me. If I had went back down the way I came up without calling my friend, I would have got bitten too.

Also, here is a picture of it. You can see how hidden they can be.

post-1272-1176067308_thumb.jpg

Guest keninla

when I was a in high school me and some buddies used to go to the Mojave Desert most weekends to collect rattle snakes and lizards. We would sell them to a fellow in town that had a market somewhere for them - don't know where. At any one time I would have several rattllers and as many as 15 in a cage I built in our garage. It was a fun way to make extra money

also not very smart. none of us ever got bit but it is something that I would not now. Growing up you do lots of not so smart things that in hind sight you should not have done. :blink:

And by the way - I do wear snake gaitors now. I bought them from Rob - they work great.

Ken

Boy, took quite a bit of staring, I finally saw it...look at the center shadow and then move to the immediate upper left-hand corner of it. That's his head. The eye is the little black dot. Reminds me of one time we were doing a boy scout eagle project clearing out brush etc. about 10-15 ft away we could barely see a curled up eastern diamondback in the underbrush and shadows of the trees where we were working. It's a miracle we saw it! :o

REX

and now an another bit of advice...never run from a snake until you are sure you are not running to a snake. I have had a very difficult time training my wife not to "jump and run" when she sees a snake...she totally freaks at the thought of any snake so I really have to watch her when we go hiking....a snake that you can see is not much of a threat to you. That picture is a great example of how well concealed snakes can be.

Fred

Iggy, are you bragging?....you know the punch line about the two friends out hunting, one gets bit in that special place...the other runs to get help/advise..the doc explains how to suck the poison out... the friend comes backs and says..."sorry pal the doc says you are going to die"