Got out w/ Grubby yesterday

• Admin

Hello Montana,

I would have to agree with you. I watched the entire new GPX-4000 Factor DVD's and there is some good info. However, JP talks a lot about lower "Gains" (6-8) and higher "Motion" (Medium & Fast) settings. To be honest, I would have missed almost all the smaller gold I've found recently with those settings.

I prefer to hunt with a higher Gain (10-14) and slower Motion (Very Slow or Slow) setting. I've a very slow, methodical hunter, so these settings work best for me here in Arizona.

To date, I've found places where I can't hunt with a Mono on the GPX-4000 and other places I can run a Mono with max. settings! :o

I've also noticed most of the US hunters are hunting with a higher Gain and lower Motion speed.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Jp The video is great and done up very well.I think that people should take heed to what JP say,s about operating the 4000.I stumbled into the fact that it may be stable but it is not set right.Luckily i caught the mistake.I have found small gold a depth that would make most wonder.That was with a gain of 6.If you make a mistake on ground balancing it will cost you for sure.If you can not run a mono you need to use the specific ground balance.I guess we have more interferance here with the cell sites,Microwaves,radar,harp and such we are saturating the atmosphere and probably have hell to pay for that some day.

Bob you coming out to Basalt Hell when it cools off.You had quite the following.Looks like a war zone now.Sure there are a few dinks out there .

• Admin

Hello Denny,

I actually tried the "Specific" Ground Balance on the ground in California and it didn't make a difference. I was able to get the machine to settle down with a Gain setting of 5. However, after doing some tests with the Wallaby DD Pro, I was getting much more depth with a DD and a higher gain than a mono with a very low Gain.

Just having the ability to lower/raise most settings on the GPX-4000 makes it a powerful metal detector. Some places I can run settings high, other places lower.

Hope you're doing well over there with your.

Rob Allison

Denny. That was a blast over there for a couple of years. Old patches, new patches, we were killing them with the GPs. I'm sure the locals are still finding some. I heard that the best patch has now been claimed and is being drywashed. I'll be back over that way after summer is over. Lots more ground to check out and I garranty there are more patches waiting to be found.----Bob

I figured with all the traffic some one would claim it up.When you get out let us know.Well cook you up some nice steaks.It was funny watching everyone go behind you.I guess you were the talk of the town.Some secret LoL.Stay cool D

Not getting too personal but, when you tried the "specific" ground balance in Calif., was that at the Bumgardeners? I've only run the 4000 there once, I think??? I was able one time to run the 14"E mono there for awhile, then something changed and couldn't put up with all the interference (Don't remember, if I was using the 3000 or 4000?). Thought about trying that setting if I get invited back.

• Admin

Hello Shep,

Not sure on the locations, but I believe that was the first spot we tried. On the hillsides the Mono was going nuts, so I pretty tried everything before going over to the DD Pro coil. Later in the day I was using the DD Pro and the machine was working great. I ended up finding the crystalline nugget not far from where you found your nice one near the Mercury flask.

I think I had more problems directly with ground noise rather than interference.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Grubstake,

That makes alot of sense about the ironstone beddrock.

It is possible to get a mono to work with a 4000 at Bumgartners,

but like everyone has been saying,

it takes alot of patience and a whole heck of alot of retuning.

I think I was retuning every few steps.

Now if someone could come up with a poison oak discriminator

that would be a great addition for working up there...sheesh.

(itch itch scratch), just thinking about it makes me itch.

All the best,

Flak