My First Patch

Went hunting with an freind today for an 8 hour beeping session in hot weather......we took turns digging as we shared the detector

After about 50-100 hours of blanks I finally found some good ground......

I will post pics later; I am dead tired and have to work tomorrow.

Question: I was using a GB 2 with the 6 inch coil and I had a hard time zero-ing in on large targets sitting right on top of bed rock.....we found them it just was not as easy as it should of been.....

Am I doing something wrong?

Also in the el dorado national forest what is highest elevation anyone here has found the yellow?

I think that area will produce huge......we found it @ the end of the day when we were just about to quit when we hit 7 pennyweight or bigger pieces......

I cant hunt it for @ least a week....my pal is taking the detector to our claim for a week,,

So I might start selling my gold to get a new beeper.....

Bushed.....g'night

Who's claim were you hunting?

You really need to research an area for claims before just going out detecting.

How do you find a patch with a 6 inch eliptical coil on a GBII? :blink:

Do you know how to tie a swivel to mono???

It was private property through gold country.....we were within the scope of the law.

The GB2 is actually a very good detector. Yes there are a number of areas where a Minelab PI would be better. However there are also many areas where the GB2 can find a lot of gold, and there are some areas where the GB2 would actually be a better choice than a Minelab PI.

Sounds like you are finding some nice gold.

Congratulations.

Chris

The GB2 is actually a very good detector. Yes there are a number of areas where a Minelab PI would be better. However there are also many areas where the GB2 can find a lot of gold, and there are some areas where the GB2 would actually be a better choice than a Minelab PI.

Sounds like you are finding some nice gold.

Congratulations.

Chris

Thanks Chris, you and some of the others have really helped me learn and that's greatly appreciated.

I have long wanted to learn how to detect but with 3 dredges sitting on the bank it's tuff to put in the long hours to learn when you know you can get it everytime in the water.

Me and my claim partners are having a hard time adjusting to finding gold in the dirt versus dredging/sniping.

I just met a guy that hunted my claim two years ago and found an 8 and 4 oz nuggets with a beeper.....he was a freind of my partners dad...not sure what unit he is using...... hopefully I will learn some more from him......I will get some pics of the big nuggets...they are nice looking....

Hello DrKillStick,

Congrats on the nuggets and new area. It tough to find new areas, but once you do, they sure are fun to detect! :D Woulc love to see some pictures when you get a chance. Keep up the great hunting.

Rob Allison

My picture taking is bad but here are the three I got to take home......my buddy kept 3 about the same size and we gave the biggest to the property owner as a good gesture...it might have been 2 or 3 dwt...

These went 1.9, 1.3 and 1.2 grams.........A bit smaller than my original estimate but I would be happy if they were 1/4 the size they are

I used wink on these to clean them up works pretty good........Do you guys use anything that does a good job and is less of a hassle.....wink has to soak for 8 hours and I guess it's rather toxic?

Cheers

post-3552-1186444250_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello DrKillStick,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Depending how clean you want your nuggets, I try to keep the nature luster. The best bet is just to use water and soap. Sometimes if you clean the nuggets too much, they look fake and collectors might not look at them. I actually keep most of my nuggets dirty, just like I found them from the ground. If I ever decide to sell them, the buyer can do whatever he chooses with them.

Wishing you more luck,

Rob Allison

Hello DrKillStick,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Depending how clean you want your nuggets, I try to keep the nature luster. The best bet is just to use water and soap. Sometimes if you clean the nuggets too much, they look fake and collectors might not look at them. I actually keep most of my nuggets dirty, just like I found them from the ground. If I ever decide to sell them, the buyer can do whatever he chooses with them.

Wishing you more luck,

Rob Allison

Yeah I screwed up some really nice quartz/gold pieces with wink and or acid.....it turned it grey and pourus....really wrecked it......

Most of what I have found in the past is placer from the creek and is usually buttery yellow or has mercury on it which is another hassle.

The last nice quartz piece i got from the dirt I scrubbed with a tooth brush and soap...It cleaned up perfect........

I doubt I will ever sell my stuff other than fines from concentrates,