Sold my Minelab GPX-4000 and got me a...

.... Compass Yukon 77B Professional! A classic old TR unit from my early detecting days. No ground balance, no discrimination but man I dug a lot of goodies back in those days.

yukon77.jpg

The old 100 kHz TR units have a unique ability to literally see through iron trash and pick up non-ferrous items below. Unfortunately, as a non-ground balancing unit they are useless in many mining areas. But I decided to pick one of these babies up to use around old cabins and campsites. And for a walk down memory lane!

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve, I really miss my old Tesoro Mayan. "Some" of those old machines do work well. I bought it as a gold hunter and not that I didn't find a lot of gold with it, where it really preformed was in and around the old ghost town camps and dumps. It had an amazing ability to see in between all the junk, ah excuse me (relics) when the meter swung to the right regardless of all the relics, there was a non ferrous target in there somewhere. When it swung to the left it was iron target overload. Simple yet effective. I found a lot of coins and tokens with that good old machine. I've taken some of these newer target I.D. machines into those same areas and they were blown away by all the relics. It's like information overload on steroids. :D Granted in a school yard or beach setting the newer I.D. machines will tell you everything short of the date on the coin before you dig it but take one to most ghost town settings and you can Forget it. Its almost like taking out a philips head screw with a flat screwdriver, Good luck. Sometimes you just need the right tool for the job. AzNuggetBob

Hi Steve,

Wow, :lol: that brings back memories. The Yukon was my very first detector; I purchased it from DesertFox which was a mining supply shop in Mesa, AZ back in 1975. They also had a 3†coil which I had for it as well. I believe I paid $260.00 back then. The only better detector then that one of those days was the Garrett’s which were above $300.00. I wish I would have kept it, and in your picture I kept mine in excellent condition as well. Thanks for posting that, it brought back many good memories of detecting with my grandfather. :rolleyes:

I still have a Fisher m-scope vlf 441 in the shed it has an 8ins 12ins and 3ins coils I got it in 1982 I have not used for years, the wife found gold with it using the 3ins coil, before I retired I would lend it out to people at work to check for water pipes phone cables ext it worked great at this with the 12ins coil and was easy to tune.

kris

The Compass 77's were a very popular detector hunt contest unit in the late 70's and 80's not dating mysself LOL but they were a good coinshooter but almost everyone you saw at the detector meets had one, must still be a lot of them around somewhere..........Geo

Although the machines are old and useless,but the memories remains...

You have walk a long journey indeed...

God Bless

I would not say they were useless I bet you can still find plenty of money on the beach with them and also I`m sure I could still find gold with the fisher 441.

regards

kris