Codan - Minelab Buyout ...

• Admin

Hello All,

There is a lot of talk going on behind the scenes about what will take place after this takeover. Will Minelab metal detectors get even better? Will newer technology get pushed out?

Codan designs and builds the world's best communications equipment for High Frequency (HF) Radio, Satellite and Digital Microwave Radio applications. For almost 50 years, we have earned a reputation for unsurpassed quality and customer

service in the most demanding environments on earth.

We have offices in Australia, the USA, the UK, China and India. This is backed up by a worldwide distribution network of dealers and service centres to ensure that Codan is available around the clock to keep you connected with the world.

Will be interesting to see what one of the biggest Mine Metal Detector Companies combined with one of the biggest Radio, Satellite & Microwave Radio Companies can do. Both are heavily involved with the Military.

Any thoughts or input? :huh:

Rob Allison

It might be a good thing, but I sure wished they would have put a backlit screen on the 4000. My old eye's sure have a hard time seeing that screen sometimes. Grubstake

Maybe they will build detectors, that transmitte your location to them, when anything over an oz is found! that way they would have a digital # of your detector, where its at, and how many times you stop to dig. Kind of like a chip they put into dogs and cats, except that it would transmitte to IRS. :P:P:P:P:lol:;);) Grubstake

Rob. If they keep some of the Minelab engineering staff , and keep a strong focus on gold detectors, Fantastic things could happen. I've said for years that our detectors would far ahead of where they are now if the interest was as strong in them as it is in cell phones. This hybrid company just may be the best thing that has happened to the detecting industry, or it could be the end of Minelabs position on top of the heap. It just depends on where the management focuses the energy and money. It may put a real kink in any plans for a new detector coming out soon if there was one about to come out.---Bob

I have seen so many examples of this where a company buys out another and it is interested in only one or two product lines of the old company and just dumps the rest as it has no interest in those minor product lines, as often the minor lines produce little profit.

I sure hope they keep the gold and treasure detecting group intact, but I would not be suprised to see it get slashed.

I hope I will be proven wrong, but in my personal opinion, this is not a good thing. :(

We shall see.....

Chris

I can assure you it is full steam ahead for Minelab and especially the gold detecting sector. I for one look forward to things in the future, going by what I have been told and have read between the lines in the recent days. Like everything, when there is a change it leaves people feeling a little vulnerable, but with change also comes new blood and ideas, I'm putting my money on this as being a good thing.

JP

Compared to cell phones and other gadgets for the masses, the metal detector market is very small but it is growing and will continue to grow. Applications for metal detecting technology will also continue to expand. My guess is Codan engineers already have some inovations up their sleeves and Minelab products will only get better.

• 1 year later...
Guest goldstudmuffin
Hello All,

There is a lot of talk going on behind the scenes about what will take place after this takeover. Will Minelab metal detectors get even better? Will newer technology get pushed out?

Will be interesting to see what one of the biggest Mine Metal Detector Companies combined with one of the biggest Radio, Satellite & Microwave Radio Companies can do. Both are heavily involved with the Military.

Any thoughts or input? :huh:

Rob Allison

Rob;

I guess some of these questions have just been answered.