A couple openings in first week at Moore Creek

Hi,

Unfortunately Dan Judd and his son have had to drop out of their slots in the first week at Moore Creek. Week one was booked even before we made it available so here is a shot at that week for a lucky person or two. It is not the best week for dredging or highbanking as there is still frozen ground to deal with but lots of the detector people like the first week. The bugs are usually not as thick and the weather nicer early on.

So if you might be interested check out the scedule at http://www.moorecreek.com/cost_and_availability.htm Overall we are close to booking up full with the only other available slots in the last week.

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

Hi Dan,

Since we will be dozing daily to uncover gold there is little difference between the first and fourth weeks. Week four will be warmer and the ground thawed deep enough to dredge or highbank without running into ice. Everything is greener. The only downside is that there are usually more bugs then in week one due to the warmer temps.

Steve Herschbach

Dan, you will have a grand time and don't worry if you know anyone there...Steve is a great host, as is John and every stranger will bring their own flavor to the mix... This is the one of the best places in the USA to have a reasonable chance at a real thumper nugget...but don't just go for the gold...go for the adventure!

Fred

Hi Guys,

Am I lucky or what? I get to spend the whole month of June hanging out at the mine with a bunch of gold nuts like me. As Fred can attest I was loath to bulldoze the tailing piles early on. First, because the ground was not hunted much so I'd be as likely to bury a nugget as stir one up. Second, my weird sense of esthetic's means I actually think the old tailing piles are kind of pretty. When an environmentalist and I look at an old mine like Moore Creek we are for sure seeing distinctly different things. When you fly over enough boring old wilderness a mine is an interesting thing to break up the monotony!

But there has been enough detecting now that I'm willing to start mowing down the piles a bit at a time. We did a limited amount last summer, and I have to say it was quite productive. It also is a lot easier on people as it turns up more gold close to camp, removes the brush, and flattens the piles. You just plain do not have to work as hard at it.

The general game plan is for me to start dozing while everyone else gets breakfast. I want a one hour head start before detecting is allowed on the new areas so people do not crowd the dozer and themselves. I plan to just keep plowing away until noon. Then lunch, and after lunch I'll spend the remainder of the day working on the dredge and highbanker sites opening up ground and refueling everything, etc. Plus trying to help anyone not having any luck.

Each day I plan on dozing a new site and not returning to any one site until the following week. That gives people a good week to detect each site before dozing again. The initial hunt tends to be pretty sloppy so those that go back and rehunt at a calmer pace will be rewarded with finds the first go over missed.

An interesting thing is that I talked to the state, and we all agreed that what I will be doing is in and of itself reclamation work. The dozing will be done with an eye to returning the terrain to a state more closely resembling the original terrain. Once we give up on flattening out a given site we will seed it to help speed up the natural regrowth that occurs in Alaska. People are generally amazed at how fast stuff grows in our short summers, but all that daylight really does promote plant growth.

But plenty of old ground will remain. It is not like I can go mow down over two miles of old tailings very quickly. Assuming we are able to keep doing this there will be gold coming out of the ground there for a long time. We should know more about the future of Moore Creek pretty soon. The construction crew heads in in a couple weeks to build the new camp, and the drill crew follows shortly thereafter. We should be seeing core results by late April or early May, and what those cores reveal well very much determine what happens going forward.

Steve Herschbach

Moore Creek Mining LLC

Hi Dan,

Since we will be dozing daily to uncover gold there is little difference between the first and fourth weeks. Week four will be warmer and the ground thawed deep enough to dredge or highbank without running into ice. Everything is greener. The only downside is that there are usually more bugs then in week one due to the warmer temps.

Steve Herschbach

I am up for the adventure and the bugs don't really get too me. (I'm from Fl) :D

I should know Monday if I can get coverage at work. Fingers crossed. If not, I will be there in 2009 for sure.