Rattlesnake Jim

Old timer "Woody " Woodworth passed on.

My old friend "Woody" Woodworth passed away Sunday at 4:00 pm. Woody was one of the first to use a metal detector to find gold nuggets. Woody and his buddy Herb Gibbons found a 12oz nugget with an old White's coin detector on one of their first trips. Woody also wrote articles for a couple of the treasure magazines, most notably "Western and Eastern Treasure magazine". He was a very good fellow and I'll miss him.

Rattlesnake Jim

Jim

I'm sorry for your loss of a friend.To call a person a friend as you did Woody he had to be a true friend.I know myself I have people I like but when I say friend thats a special person from all the rest.

Chuck Anders

Hello Rattlesnake,

That is truely sad to hear. :( I've heard nothing but good things about Woody and the people he surrounded himself with. He will be missed by many.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Rob Allison

Woody was one of the best. I haven't seen Woody in many years, but I always enjoyed his stories and seeing all the nuggets he found. I don't think there was a vlf detector made that he couldn't find a nugget with. He will surely be missed.

Rattlesnake... Jim Straight here:

Gosh... Since Rob sells the Nuggetshooter's Bible, and has access to it, for those

that have any edition, go to pgs 177-178, back when Woody was active; with his

permission I gave his address and phone number for those that were trying to

contact him... He answered all of the letters and phone calls... He told it like he

saw it, very helpful and knowledgeable.

Back then we both were writing articles and field testing gold machines for the

manufacturers. Woody "outdid me." He raised the bar so high I could never

jump over it... but through it all we were True Friends. We never felt competitive

and I'm glad that I honored him back then...

We both were early contributers for the various magazines, such as the

Silver & Gold Annual that is put out by the folks who publish Western &

Eastern Treasures. I believe back about 1980-81 the nugget (he and Herb

found and shared... and remained great friends!!!) was on the cover of

one of the California Mining Journals... maybe if Associate Editor Chris Ralph

(Reno Chris) happens to be aware of this thread he would pull the issues

cover and post it.

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for the weekend to the Randsburg area to

nuggethunt. The north facing Rand mountain slope where I have permission...

In this broad area... the foothills of the south facing El Paso range across

the valley I have seen and hunted with Woody on three different occasions

in a "certain area" ...

Not planned, just a coincidence. Who knows maybe Woody is there with a big

smile detecting

• Like 1

I think I met him at a flea market in Sacto yrs ago, he and I hit it off due to talking about gold mining and detecting, I remember later he called me and talked my ear off about gold detecting for  long time. Cool Guy!

18 minutes ago, Mxt Sniper said:

I think I met him at a flea market in Sacto yrs ago, he and I hit it off due to talking about gold mining and detecting, I remember later he called me and talked my ear off about gold detecting for  long time. Cool Guy!

Yes, he was a good friend. I went on many detecting trips with him. Spent some time at his home. He lived a few miles south of Coarsegold, which is about 50 miles north of Fresno. He had so many stories to tell. Miss him and the good times we had.

RSJ

Edited by Rattlesnake Jim

Woody use to come up to BAGBY all the time, we hunted together a few time, and did show and tell alot. He had some very nice gold, and he bought some of mine, that I had dredged up at Bagby. Grubstake

• Like 1

Could be I met him while he was living in Roseville, I saw him selling in the same flea market a few times. I was a flea mkt dealer back then.

• Like 1

I never met Woody but I was sitting in my "library" over the weekend reading a Lost Treasure magazine.  Saw an article about "electronic gold detecting" written by who else but Woody!  It was a 1982 edition.

In  reading the article, it seems that Woody found his first nugget with a borrowed metal detector in 1980.  I guess it only took one to get him started.

• Like 2

Hey LipCa,

Ya, getting that first gold nugget will get you hooked for sure.  The price of gold is increasing, even though it's not easy to find gold or gold nuggets, a couple of grams of gold will surely pay for gas and put about $100 in your pocket.  

Rob

• Like 2

I found my first nugget about 65 years ago .  Never lost the interest. 

I'm sure Woody found gold long before his first "detector" nugget.

22 minutes ago, LipCa said:

I found my first nugget about 65 years ago .  Never lost the interest. 

I'm sure Woody found gold long before his first "detector" nugget.

Yes he did. He worked a mine east of Independence near Majourka canyon. He had painted a seascape on a rock outcrop. I was there once many years ago and found the painting and his diggings near the spring.

• Like 1