Gold Before the Storm

A couple of buddies and I headed out to hunt before the storm. First thing was a rattler and it's a good one cause it's now dead!!! I don't know if it was the weather changing or just getting our coils over some gold today! The patch we visited today, seems to constantly put out some nice gold. But, the big nuggets are deep. So, I was running my GPX 4000 in Extra, Deep, Very Slow, and the Gain max at 15 all day, low & slow with the 12 x 15 Commander Mono, and it paid off! The big nugget was just a funny sound in the threshold and wasn't a good target until about 3" of dirt was moved then it started to sing to me. This 8.8 dwt nugget must had been on edge or standing vertical 14 or more inches deep, it finally popped out! We all had a great time before the rain started...until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

7Apr09TotalCoil.jpg

7Apr09TotalonScale1.jpg

Lucky,

You guys are either in an amazing spot.. or you are amazingly talented gold detectorists!! Or possibly both :lol:

At any rate congrats to you guys, and hope they keep coming.

I recently built a house for a guy that layed me an offer on the table, to show me a spot near Sacramento where he has found many nuggets about 15-20 years ago.

All of his hunting was done with a VLF machine, and he really perked my interest when he dropped a 2 pound solid nugget the size of a small apple in my hand. His end of the bargin would be half of whatever I find.

He said the largest he found was an 8lb specimen, with about 6 pounds net gold :wacko:

Gus-

Gus,

We just go out and eat sandwitchs, tell jokes and dig holes. No talent needed to do that! Between the three of us we have nearly 60 years of prospecting. I hate to waste time in none productive areas, glad I have several that produce!

LuckyLundy

Rick,

Way to go again! You seem to have more of a good time than anything else. Too bad more people are not like you. Condradulations on the nuggets. Take care.

Gus,

I know the area you speak of. It is ALL private property. Without permission of the owner things will go bad. One guy was already involved in a law suit and lost for jumping a fence. The owners in that area are serious about trespassing. Make sure you have permission. Some guys have ruined it for many others. I will send you a PM regarding this.

Cheers,

matt

Hi Matt,

I have never been to Sacramento, but I thought it was a pretty big area? All this guy told me is it was near there. Is all land near Sacramento private? He did say that it was like 15 years since he was last there.

I guess I am asking with what little information I provided, how could you be so sure of the exact location of where this guy says he is going to take me?

Anything is possible I guess, but I just cant see this guy taking me to his spot at night and having me jump a fence to get in there.

Thank you for the heads-up though Matt. :blush: I will definitely check and make sure that I am not trespassing on someones land.

Gus-

Yup, It's either built on or private. The land owners are not very friendly, they own many sections of land and just will not budge about giving permission. To bad a few a-holes (you know who you are) messed it up for all of us. I only live a couple of miles from these areas and sure wish someone could explain to these unyielding land barons that many detectorists are responsible and will treat their land with respect. The other thing about these selfish landowners is much of the land will be developed in the future and the land is not much more than an investment for them.

El Dorado,

Would you be friendly when somebody cut your barb wire fence, dug a bunch of holes without filling them in, and left trash and cigarette butts all over the place? Your statements are true to some extent about development. The real truth is that not all of these parcels will be developed to be built on. Some will be developed for other purposes, such as mining, so removal of minerals does matter. Selfish has nothing to do with it. On one parcel, somebody was trespassing using a metal detector and was bit by a buzztail. This person decided to sue the property owner. I don't know all the legal details, but would you want the nuisance of dealing with that? It only takes one bad experience. There are a lot of responsible people in this hobby, but there are also some that don't give a crap....

matt

PS-Sorry for stealing your thread LuckyLundy. As always, those are some beautiful gold nuggets.

Just because a few people drink and drive does not make all drivers bad ?.......... Like I said, its way to bad a few rotten apples spoiled the whole barrel. At least one of them has finally assumed room temp.......