Alaska gols forum

I see that the Alaska gold forum is going the way of charging members to view their website. I think it will cause a lot of members to leave. And poor Steve Herschbach will loose lots of people who found his business thru the website. I guess Jim Foley needs to make some money. I have been a member there for around 8 years, and have bought stuff from Steve. Which I found thru the forum. Some old members have offered to give Jim the money it takes to pay for the website, but I guess Jim wants to turn it into a money maker. GOOD LUCK!!! :spank:

I have also read the gold forums since the beginning, and I very happily donated more than the $10.00 asked. Jim fights for the rights of gold miners and is always helpful with any information or help that he can give you. I personally hope he does get some financile rewards for the very helpful forums he runs. There is nothing wrong with making some money if you provide a good service which Jim certainly does. I can't begin to count the hours I have spent on the Gold Forum picking up important information here and there without leaving the house and at no cost. If my piddly $10.00 can help Jim out so much the better. I wish him all success in the world. Seb

seb, your right donating more than the $10.00 charge to be a member of the forum. I was going to make a generous donation till I heard you are going to have to pay at least $10.00 to be a member of the forum. So I decided that was the wrong way to get money on a forum. So I guess in a few days Jim will loose me and probably other members also. By the way I was going to donate $100.00. But I am not one to be told join or adios. Just like this forum. I can see Rob wanting to charge $10.00 to be a member here. Rob would "NEVER" sink that low. If he needed help, the folks here would donate to help.

What's going to happen is they'll lose a majority of the members right off the bat. Others, as with all forums, will find other forums they prefer or get interested in another subject and stop coming. If someones google search leads them there they'll get as far as $10 dollar cover charge and turn around and avoid it every time it pops up on a search engine even if they change back to open access for all. They won't get many, if any, new members and eventually just fade away.

It's ridicules to charge the people that fill your forum with content and bring in advertising dollars. :spank:

I've been going there for about a year and a half and have supported them via purchases from AK Mining through the banners they pay to place on the forum. Steve at AKMining is a fantastic source of information and the main reason I've been going there. I'll continue to shop at AKMining but I'll never go back to Alaska Gold Forum. Steve, if you catch this post, please start your own forum and I'll be the first to sign up. ( But I'll still be hanging out here as well :lol: )

-- Joe

Ya that is a touchy one. I am apart of some private coyote hunting clubs and we charge to be on the forums. It cost I think around $300-$400 a year to have one of these up and running and a lot of time to maintane it as well. However after about two years we started having raffles and people would donate stuff to raffle off and give the cash to the club/forum to keep it going so no one had to pay. These forums are great for people to get information and keep in touch with buddies. The problem we found with charging people to be part of a forum is uncle sam wants his cut with tax's and all that trash. I have never been to that forum but if any of the forums want to do a fund raiser I'm all for helping out just yell out.

Easy to say someone is trying to "cashin". But how many of us are working their tails off on a regular basis, trying to help assure our right to prospect?

Jim has been an asset to all of us. You might not know how many letters are written or how many meeting are attended but I am sure glad someone like Jim is out there doing it for me. I for one don't have the time to undertake all of the tasks required to follow the wack jobs that want ALL of us out of the gold country. Let alone moderate a Fourm the size of the Alaska Gold Fourm.

You guys said a mouthful when you talked about what a great resource these Fourms are. I went by my bookshelf earlier and I have over $200 dollars worth of books. All were purchased prior to signing on to the half doz. Forurms I belong to. Had I know about the Fourms and all of the available information and contacts they contained, I could have spent more money with Rob.

I sent in my $10 and consider it well spent. Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I joined just the Gold Forum yesterday then discovered (via emails from them) that it was pay which was fine, I have no problem paying where there's value (I'm a platinum member on minelabowners.com) but they don't even offer a way to see what the forums have for posts unless you sign up with a Paypal account and then if you don't like it you cancel (they don't bill you for the first three days).. pardon my French but "screw that".....

I was hoping to check it out as it's related to Steve's work (whom I bought my 4500 from) but I'm not a fan of the "Paypal account required" business model...

In this day and age of information overload, there's far too much free info or donation accepted info to 'require' pre-payment... unless your buying gas after dark. :rolleyes:

Jen

If someones google search leads them there they'll get as far as $10 dollar cover charge and turn around and avoid it every time it pops up on a search engine even if they change back to open access for all.

I've been going there for about a year and a half and have supported them via purchases from AK Mining through the banners they pay to place on the forum. Steve at AKMining is a fantastic source of information and the main reason I've been going there. I'll continue to shop at AKMining but I'll never go back to Alaska Gold Forum. Steve, if you catch this post, please start your own forum and I'll be the first to sign up. ( But I'll still be hanging out here as well :lol: )

-- Joe

That's exactly my experience this week, found them via a Google search. I was hoping to learn more about Alaska Gold and had seen it mentioned in relation to AK Mining and was hoping it was good.

Steve, I'll be second to join your forum..PS: your 4500 says hi. :D

Jen

The Alaska Gold Forum is a great place to hang out, I am gladly giving my money to help ....Jim Foley and Steve Hershbach are both personal friends of mine and neither would profit from this, Jim had a personal tragedy in his life very similar to what I went thru, but the expenses were devastating for him... Jim and Steve both are mining advocates who give of their time to help the hobbiest with information and knowledge that is helpful to all.........I could mention other things but I think this is enuff said...............I am glad they are my friends................................ :) ...........Geo