Minelab SD2200V2

ALL,

I was at the Denver GPAA gold and treasure show this past weekend, which by the way was a super weekend, and the Minelab rep who was at the show (Kevin Hoagland) said using the discrimination mode is a waste (his personal feelings) he also made that comment about the GB2 I have. Since that was the reason I got the 2200, what are your feelings on this subject? I agree with the thought of "dig every target, but why have a discrimination setting if the feeling is to not use it? I have read your past posts Grubstake, so I know your thoughts on this subject. Thanks.

h20prospector

Sure you can use discrimination, and you can pass up a big nugget, go ahead.

If you read the manual you will see it tells you, basically, that the discrimination is not to be trusted. Why have a discrimination setting if the feeling is not to use it. Discrimination was a put on the machine because it is good marketing. However, would you take your favorite gun that misfires once out of ten shots because of a faulty firing pin to a target competition? Or would you take a gun you maybe don't like so much but dependably lets you put them in the 10 ring?

Well running in discrimination may help you, but it comes with a price, the price being the uncertainty that you may pass up gold.

Minelab is working hard to make the discrimination more and more dependable, but the discrimination is not in the class of an Explorer, or a Sovereign. By the same token, neither of those two machines can find the gold that Minelab's pulse inducation machines can. Right now the technology does not exist that makes a machine go as deep as a Minelab Pulse induction and be that sensitive, and yet be spot on with discrimination.

Dig it all, and buy yourself the best super magnet you can get. Get your target out of the hole and into the dirt, smash your super magnet into the dirt, and if the target is gone, it wa crap, if it's still there it could be lead, or aluminum, or even gold.

Good Luck!

Doc

If you read the manual you will see it tells you, basically, that the discrimination is not to be trusted. Why have a discrimination setting if the feeling is not to use it. Discrimination was a put on the machine because it is good marketing. However, would you take your favorite gun that misfires once out of ten shots because of a faulty firing pin to a target competition? Or would you take a gun you maybe don't like so much but dependably lets you put them in the 10 ring?

Well running in discrimination may help you, but it comes with a price, the price being the uncertainty that you may pass up gold.

Minelab is working hard to make the discrimination more and more dependable, but the discrimination is not in the class of an Explorer, or a Sovereign. By the same token, neither of those two machines can find the gold that Minelab's pulse inducation machines can. Right now the technology does not exist that makes a machine go as deep as a Minelab Pulse induction and be that sensitive, and yet be spot on with discrimination.

Dig it all, and buy yourself the best super magnet you can get. Get your target out of the hole and into the dirt, smash your super magnet into the dirt, and if the target is gone, it wa crap, if it's still there it could be lead, or aluminum, or even gold.

Good Luck!

Doc

Thanks Doc.

Also thanks for calling me back the other evening to answer my question about how to tune my SD2200v2.

Pat

Thanks Doc. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. Since Minelab was putting the 2100 and 2200 out to pasture, the discrimination was, as you say, a good marketing ploy. I will learn to hunt without using the discrimination feature and dig it all. Again, thanks.

Pat Watters

h20prospector

Good Luck!

Doc

I remember the time when Mohave John Green found a big ol' chunk.

He was detecting where some old timers had obviously been, lot's of trash. Now after you have found some gold, and dug thousands of trash targets, you start getting sort of cocky. You start thinking, "I can tell if it's iron by the way the detector sounds. When it goes Wee ooo, it's gold, or lead. When it goes WEE-ING, it's iron trash." Boy that is a big mistake.

John decides to head up the hill to check the gully on the other side to see if the pasteur is greener. Half way up the hill he gets a loud WOO ING. He digs it, and it's a metal sardine can. He walks about six feet, WOO-ING, digs another sardine can. Goes another 10 feet, WOO-ING. John says, "Screw it, I ain't digging no more trash." He continues up the hill leaving the target behind.

He starts thinking about the fact that there must be a reason all those cans are on the side of that hill, and starts thinking about that un-dug target. His conscience starts bothering him and he goes back to dig up another sardine can to add to his collection. He digs up the target, however to his surprise, this sardine can was a 5 ounce gold specimen, that sound just like a sardine can.

So the next time you get a WOO-ING target, before you decide to walk on by think about this, "Would you be more disappointed to dig a sardine can, or to find out later that you didn't dig a 5 ounce specimen?"

As a matter of fact, some day maybe we can get Digger Bob to tell the story of when he walked away from a big quartz boulder that was sounding off, because he thought it was higly mineralized.

BCOT!

Doc

Thanks Doc. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. Since Minelab was putting the 2100 and 2200 out to pasture, the discrimination was, as you say, a good marketing ploy. I will learn to hunt without using the discrimination feature and dig it all. Again, thanks.

Pat Watters

h20prospector

Doc,

That story about Mohave John is a great lesson...dig them all let the scoop sort them out! Them bits of sardine cans even using a DD coil will not break on you and using a Mono coil sound to good to pass up. You have to get all them ear popping targets out they hog up a certain amount of detecting space in a good patch. Them shallow big nuggets, sound just like a chunk of steel. If you stop digging them all and are picking and choosing your targets...your missing Gold. Consider taking a break and re-group, you'll find the gold that other's have past up on!

LuckyLundy

ALL,

Since that was the reason I got the 2200, what are your feelings on this subject?

h20prospector

And you still have it if you want to use it, so dont sweat it. You still have a fine gold machine.

You also still get things like auto tuning, and auto GB, tone control , two audio boost modes ,and the ability to select between two channels.

with that machine you can also switch to a straight shaft and add the Gold Button Handle allowing you to ground balance at the tip of your thumb on the fly. B)http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/invi...howtopic=166910

I have never tried the discrimination features, but I dont have any DD coils either :D

That machine with the right coils will find small gold :ph34r:

Luckylundy -

It sounds like you have used the SD2200 - I only have the factory 11" DD coil that came with the unit. What coil would you reccommend with stability that would work well with this unit to find the small nuggets and punch down deep. Or does the 2 go together.

Sheri