Little Coiltek Mono Choices?

I'll soon be in the market for a mono "get in the tight spots" coil for my 3500. Of the two Coilteks, 5"X10" Joey or 6" Sniper, which would you use and why?

Someone on another forum said the Gold Stalker 6" sniper was geared towards the GPX models, if so, what does that mean to those of us still using the GP series?

-Joe

That's not true, the Sniper is not geared towards the GPX 4000 or 4500, it works equally well on all of Minelabs pulse induction machines.

People are getting confused because we do have the 14 inch DD Pro Elite coil that works better on the SD/GP machines. And that's not to say it does not work well on the 4000 and 4500, it's just that on those machines the Pro Elite works no better than a DD Pro, so there is no advantage. However, on the SD/GP series the DD PRO Elite shows a distinct advantage of the DD Pro, because it has been optimized for use with those machines.

Peopl have been having amazing success with the 6 inch GoldStalker, but you say you want to get into "tight spots." It's really hard to beat the Joey coil for tight spots. The elliptical design is killer for tight spots and for pinpointing.

BCOT!

Doc

I'll soon be in the market for a mono "get in the tight spots" coil for my 3500. Of the two Coilteks, 5"X10" Joey or 6" Sniper, which would you use and why?

Someone on another forum said the Gold Stalker 6" sniper was geared towards the GPX models, if so, what does that mean to those of us still using the GP series?

-Joe

That is one sweet nugget. Sometimes the little coils really make you slow down and detect properly. Almost ev erytime I have been in a slump I have goner back to basics and put on a Joey coil, and EVERYTIME, I have found gold. I have neverr used a Joey that I have not found a nugget.

Doc

I like the 6" CT mono...Very sensitive...Took it out three times for three nuggets, one of them a quarter oz'er at about 8" ... I've posted the pix before, but here's a couple of them ..Cheers, Unc

That is one sweet nugget. Sometimes the little coils really make you slow down and detect properly. Almost ev erytime I have been in a slump I have goner back to basics and put on a Joey coil, and EVERYTIME, I have found gold. I have neverr used a Joey that I have not found a nugget.

Doc

I like the 6" CT mono...Very sensitive...Took it out three times for three nuggets, one of them a quarter oz'er at about 8" ... I've posted the pix before, but here's a couple of them ..Cheers, Unc

Hi guys and gals....

What's the main difference between the Joey and the Platypus (in mono config) other than the Platty being waterproof (and a slight size difference). I have a mono Platty now and am wondering if that'll serve just as well on the dry as a Joey.

Thanks

Jen

JAYBO:

The Joey is very very light, like having nothing on the end of the detector. And it is just really hyper sensitive to small gold and just a killer coil when it comes to getting into nooks and crannies. Platypus is a fantastic coil, but whenever I have found a patch, I always work it over and try to find the boundaries of the patch. Then I go back over it with an 18 inch round, to get deep gold I may have miseed. Then the last thing I do is go over it with a Joey coil to get the small gold.

Just so happens that the 5.5 gram nugget I found in the picture was recovered after hunting a gully out with a Mini-UFO, a 14 inch coil and even a 24 inch round.

There was this little ledge that had a bush in front of it, that I could have never got a larger coil under, as I was in the gully reaching up the hillside. Could have got it if I was on the upside. Anyway, I stuck the coil right into the bush and got a screaming target. I hacked the bush out of the way, it's in the upper left of the picture, and I scored this little beauty.

This was about 100 feet away from where I later hit a beautiful little patch that yielded some really nice nuggets, see second picture. This was on a later prospecting outting and I was using an 18 inch coil.

BCOT!

Doc

Hi guys and gals....

What's the main difference between the Joey and the Platypus (in mono config) other than the Platty being waterproof (and a slight size difference). I have a mono Platty now and am wondering if that'll serve just as well on the dry as a Joey.

Thanks

Jen

Hey DOC, you Coiltek guys go detecting as well as find gold? :girl: Jeepers I always thought salesmen just did a lot of talking and no real walking? :spank: Yet here we are with Trevor recently pulling a nearly 2 ounce chunk and you putting pictures up of a handful of slugs like its an everyday event, what gives? :wacko:

JP

Heres a pic of some gold I got over the weekend.

P5100087-1.jpg

JAYBO:

The Joey is very very light, like having nothing on the end of the detector. And it is just really hyper sensitive to small gold and just a killer coil when it comes to getting into nooks and crannies. Platypus is a fantastic coil, but whenever I have found a patch, I always work it over and try to find the boundaries of the patch. Then I go back over it with an 18 inch round, to get deep gold I may have miseed. Then the last thing I do is go over it with a Joey coil to get the small gold.

Thanks for the info Doc... so is the Joey that much different/better than the Platy to add to a coil collection in your opinion?

Jen

• Admin

Hey Jen,

The Platypus like you mentioned is bigger in size and is completely waterproof. The other difference is the Joey Searchcoil is a solid design, while the Platypus is an open-web type coil.

The Joey Mono is one of the most sensitive searchcoils besides the new Coiltek 6-inch Round Goldstalker Mono.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

JP: Isn't like the great Australian Outback where you can go and get gold and people can only speculate where you been. I only have one place close here that I go, and too many times after posting pictures I seem to get a lot of company. Sometimes I like to keep things pretty much quiet, or at least not post pictures for at least 6 months. That way if people are out looking for me, I'm not there.

I've had some nice little patches over the years, and I've also had some dry spells. In my neck of the woods it can take you 10 trips until you stumple onto another patch.

JP: Did Frieda get my email and report?

JAYBO: Yes the Joey coil is a totally different animal than the Platypus, it can find gold that the Platypus can not.

BCOT!

Doc

Jack has some good information in his videos, but he's no ball of fire to be sure. Now that Jonathan Porter on the other hand, what a fine example of Prospecting Manliness he is, and his videos are, in the class such epic tales like the Ten Commandments.

Seriously, for anyone that has not seen any of Jonathan Porter DVD's. These are seriously some of the most well produced videos I have ever seen, and I'm not just talking about prospecting videos, I mean videos in general. These videos are information packed, extremely high quality, the editing is impeccable, and they just have a very professional feel to them.

Jonathan is a great teacher, and he is a skilled videographer and editor. I have watch DVD's before that were home edited, and the first 5 minutes made me nauseous from all the special effects. It's like someone looked at their video editing software and said, WOW, this hsa 531 different effects, lets see how many I can use in the first 5 minutes. So you end up with swirling fades, and pictures dropping in on pictures like snowflakes falling for the sky, and the next scene exploding out of a snake's ass. It looks like an LSD trip gone bad. Special effects are like Vegemite, a little goes a long way.

Jonathan's DVD's are worthy of any library. They are good enough to actually be on television. Special effects are subtle and professional. Filming techniques are of the type you would expect from a professionally produced video. In one scene as JP is heading out for a prospecting trip, he has set the camera up outside of his UTE looking back through the wind screen into the cab as he narrates. Then of course there are all the tips that you would only get from someone who has been using the 4500 longer than anyone else on the planet, being he was one of the proto-type testers.

I am vey impressed with his entire line of videos.

Doc

Jack has some good information in his videos, but he's no ball of fire to be sure. Now that Jonathan Porter on the other hand, what a fine example of Prospecting Manliness he is, and his videos are, in the class such epic tales like the Ten Commandments.

Seriously, for anyone that has not seen any of Jonathan Porter DVD's. These are seriously some of the most well produced videos I have ever seen, and I'm not just talking about prospecting videos, I mean videos in general. These videos are information packed, extremely high quality, the editing is impeccable, and they just have a very professional feel to them.

Jonathan is a great teacher, and he is a skilled videographer and editor. I have watch DVD's before that were home edited, and the first 5 minutes made me nauseous from all the special effects. It's like someone looked at their video editing software and said, WOW, this hsa 531 different effects, lets see how many I can use in the first 5 minutes. So you end up with swirling fades, and pictures dropping in on pictures like snowflakes falling for the sky, and the next scene exploding out of a snake's ass. It looks like an LSD trip gone bad. Special effects are like Vegemite, a little goes a long way.

Jonathan's DVD's are worthy of any library. They are good enough to actually be on television. Special effects are subtle and professional. Filming techniques are of the type you would expect from a professionally produced video. In one scene as JP is heading out for a prospecting trip, he has set the camera up outside of his UTE looking back through the wind screen into the cab as he narrates. Then of course there are all the tips that you would only get from someone who has been using the 4500 longer than anyone else on the planet, being he was one of the proto-type testers.

I am vey impressed with his entire line of videos.

Doc

I've commented on JP's video through the windshield in one of my earlier posts.... great stuff... I love his vids but I also sure enjoy Jack's and for a different reason... as old as they are now, they are sooooo helpful for new people like me because it's not about the equipment (he's swinging old hardware now 2200's etc), but it's about the land, the quartz, the gullys etc.

I own all of JP's (one of Chris's) and use those for the actual hardware expertise (in fact I've owned two full sets of JP's as I loved them so much I gave a full set to a friend who I bought some claims from) but when it comes to reading the land, planning, etc... Jack's are awesome.... I consider JP's my Technical DVD's and Jack's my theory DVD's....

Jen

HI all, thanks for the kind words my head won't fit my hat now!! :blush: The theory DVDs are in the works with hopefully more filming happening this season, but I needed a break and every time I got into swing about a prospecting DVD Minelab would go and release another flaming detector so I would get side tracked :spank: . Would love to come to the US and hook up with someone like Rob and do one specifically for America, but being a one man band where I do all the camera work and pieces to camera along with the editing things happen more slowly. :blink:

Anyway hopefully after September I will be back in front of the computer looking at myself 18 hours a day trying stitch together some footage in a tangible manner. :wacko::lol:

JP

PS DOC Frieda got your e-mail, she's been flat out getting dealer orders finalized before we head off, thanks for your honesty I can see why people do business with you :) .

HI all, thanks for the kind words my head won't fit my hat now!! :blush: The theory DVDs are in the works with hopefully more filming happening this season, but I needed a break and every time I got into swing about a prospecting DVD Minelab would go and release another flaming detector so I would get side tracked :spank: . Would love to come to the US and hook up with someone like Rob and do one specifically for America, but being a one man band where I do all the camera work and pieces to camera along with the editing things happen more slowly. :blink:

Anyway hopefully after September I will be back in front of the computer looking at myself 18 hours a day trying stitch together some footage in a tangible manner. :wacko::lol:

JP

PS DOC Frieda got your e-mail, she's been flat out getting dealer orders finalized before we head off, thanks for your honesty I can see why people do business with you :) .

Or take me up on that offer I made you when I sent you the link to that little film.... come to BC and film those claims I've got, then go to Alaska and film on Moore Creek... AZ's cool and all but "been there, done that" video wise (ducking)..hahaha :P

This poor JayBo is so lonely. She says there ain't nothing up there but old Cougar Lesbians. Jennifer what you don't understand is that Rob, and Jonathan and I are all happily married men. And if you want us to come up and visit you there are three requirements in order for all of us to get our wife's approval. :girl: #1. You will have to dye your hair brown, on second thought that may not be enough, better shave your head to be safe. 2. You have to put on about 300 pounds 3. You have to get ugly.

As soon as you meet those criteria, post a picture and Rob, Jonathan and I will all arrange an outting.

The attached picture is of my last four prospecting partners, so you know what to shoot for. :lol:

Bcot!

Doc