Cobbler's Gold

Detecting this morning I run across a section about 8 x 8 that was full of boot tacks! It was almost like the Cobbler had his tent set up on this very spot. Well them boot tacks are good targets, so I started dig'n and scooping them out using my magnet for the shallow ones in my pile of dirt. Kicking the dirt around to use the magnet somemore, I see a glint of gold. It was the flat looking nugget mixed in with all them boot tacks. A few minutes later a few feet away, I had another hole going. I got all the boot tacks out of the pile of dirt and check my hole again with my coil. More tagets, I dug a few more scapes out and repeated the process of using my magnet in the pile. I checked the pile one more time and I heard a sound that just said, that's not a boot tack...out pops the last nugget. I checked the hole and filled her back in and headed home. I'll dig more Cobbler Gold on the next trip! The picture below is only about 1/4 of the tacks I dug today...I wonder if he dropped his poke and his nail box? Or, he didn't know his tent was on top of some color! Anyways, thanks you old Cobbler!!!

LuckyLundy

8May09vetDig14dwt004.jpg

8May09vetDig14dwt002.jpg

Lucky lundy. I've found those patches of boot tacks also and wondered why. Then one day I was digging them up and found a tack with some old dryed up leather attached. It dawned on me that these boot tack patches are actually where an old pair of boots was discarded. I used to hate those Levi rivets and they often come in patches I also now understand that they are from an old pair of pants that was discarded. A freind was cleaning out a bunch of those rivets and found the fly buttons and three Barber dimes that had been in the pocket . I now always checkout a patch of Levi rivets and fly buttons. The denim is long rotted away but all the metal is there in a small area. I haven't gotten so lucky as to find any coins that way, but it does explain why some people I know have found several old coins in a small area far from any old buildings.----Bob

Montana,

Yep, you find all kinds of stuff out digging through the trash targets. We get a few of these old "Can't Bust'em" Buttons, which pre-date Levis...don't know about the ones we find though!

LuckyLundy

22FebCantBustemButton.jpg

Hey guys sometimes dig them all is the only way to be sure. Ive seen many old dry washers that used tin and canvas, the tin was punched with a pick for a grizzly (low budget screen) both were nailed to the dry washer with boot tacks. and when the wood rots away the only thing left is the tin and the tacks and maybe a few screws or bolts thrown in for good measure. :lol: AzNuggetBob

I used to have a small rake I had that I used in places where I could recover surface material like the boot tacks. If you get online you can find round magnets with small holes in the center, these can be slipped on the rake tines and you have a very useful tool for just these occasions. Doesn't take much pressure to rake around if you are gridding small areas, clean it first with your rake then hit it with a 8" rd mono or whatever is your favorite coil for the area and ground matrix..Some of these things I have loaned away but they are easily replaced............ Geo :)