Check this out, BEWARE Ebay scam. this guy made two of the biggest mistakes you can on Ebay, Dont deal outside ebay directly with seller and never pay by western union direct money transfer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gold-Nugget_W0QQitemZ1...%3A1%7C294%3A50

This is a very interesting case. Whilst I've written to the 'victim' to get more details, the seller (villain) has been listed on Ebay with 100% feedback since around this time last year. The Australian Fraud Squad would have worked with Ebay to bring this seller down if he were responsible for any form of fraudulent behavior.

Again, I am yet to receive details from the victim but I myself have found myself approached by people via my Hotmail email address in an effort to sell to me "due to a non-paying bidder". The thing is, eBay doesn't have my hotmail address....only my private email address. I've forwarded such messages to Ebay and was warned that these people were falsely representing the seller and were in fact scammers. On two occasions, the links they sent me contained a virus and malware on the receiving end.

If you receive a "second chance offer" from a seller, such offers will ONLY come through via eBay. So any offers outside of eBay are always fraudulent.

I myself once purchased a VERY expensive item outside of Ebay but I trusted the seller and had established a long history of purchases with him previously. I made him an offer that I knew would appeal to him but the Ebay and Paypal fees were going to be abominable so I agreed to his suggestion to do the deal outside of Ebay in order to justify a cheaper price plus reduce his personal fees. Everything was fine and I still used Paypal which offered me a degree of protection. Just use your common sense and beware of scammers. I think perhaps that the victim of the scam above might be unfairly blaming an honest and legitimate seller for the bad behavior of fraudsters dwelling elsewhere on the internet....who pretended to be the seller - and who took advantage of him.

Will update if any of the information returned to me is relevant or of interest.

Cheers,

Marco

Hi guys, that scammer on ebay has been doing that for years. Guess he somehow figures out a way to get access to other peoples accounts (probably through phishing) then he steals recent pictures from other GP or GPX auctions. Then he'll put the auction up for only a few hours trying to get anybody to contact him. Typical eBay scammer!

Bottom line: best to not try and work a deal outside of eBay.

Del

Here is what phishing scam looks like below. they also include a link to log in but it goes to their fake Paypal site and they get your log in info. you can also beat them with a little random number electronic device you can get from paypal for $5.00. Its pre loaded with 6 log in code numbers for your account only and also works on Ebay too. it gives you a new set of numbers every time you log in. so far I haven't been hacked using it. almost two years. AznuggetBob

Subject: Notification

Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:04:01 -0400

We regret to inform you that access to your account has been temporarily

limited.

This has been done due to several failed log-in attempts.

Case ID: AX-641-32-522

To restore your account please log in correctly.

If you fail to log in correctly your account will be suspended for fraud

prevention.

You will be able to register again for PayPal only after you

authenticate your profile.

We apologize for the inconvenience, this measure was taken for your

protection.

Guest sandtrap

When this happens to me, I forward that mail to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com

I do not know if it does any good, but I always get a thank you for the forward.

I recently received a reply from both the Seller ("scammer") and the Buyer ("victim").

Buyer said (QUOTE)

I was scammed directly by Val B*******v who is p*******8 (eBay Name).

BEWARE!!!!!

Seller said (QUOTE)

I think the person was mistaken. I make be happy to all customer, but, for example, from 100 person you can found one person who is not happy. Please come to my another ebay i*********2 (eBay Name) and please read feedback.

Best regards,I****a.

It's certainly very clear to me that the buyer was taken advantage of. The seller didn't even comment on the incident itself but suggested that the buyer was just the 'odd-one-in-a-hundred' who are unhappy with their purchase. If I spent $16K+ on a typical ROCK I would be furious!!!! This wasn't a case of Buyer's Remorse, it looks to me as though the seller is unmoved and unconcerned. Of course, if the transaction took place outside of Ebay, they won't want to know about it either since they won't want to pay out on something they don't have to. Looks like the seller paid into an Australian Bank Account too so even Paypal won't be able to help. The local Australian Federal police & Fraud Squad will be interested though.

Possible New EBay Scam...

Folks, I may have found a new scammer on EBay today. Perhaps if you know the person who's website is having its images hotlinked to, you can alert him since he's in Arizona.

REASON FOR CONCERN:

Seller claims to be in Australia, Has NO EBay History & joined a few days ago (WARNING!), Is selling the nuggets WAY below expected market values (WARNING!) and Claims the nuggets were from New South Wales, Australia (apparently, this is a lie... see below).

REALITY:

Nuggets were dug in Arizona, USA. The photographs linked to the Ebay sales are from the US Website (see below).

Here are the item numbers:

Item number: 250427551418

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=250427551418

Item number: 250427550548

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=250427550548

This is the one which has not yet sold:

Item number: 250427558285

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=250427551418

This is your webpage from which the pictures are being linked:

http://goldplacer.com/gold-nuggets/stormtroopernugget.htm

The nuggets are clearly identified here by the site owner as being from Arizona, not from Australia as the seller claims.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Marco

I recently received a reply from both the Seller ("scammer") and the Buyer ("victim").

Buyer said (QUOTE)

I was scammed directly by Val B*******v who is p*******8 (eBay Name).

BEWARE!!!!!

Seller said (QUOTE)

I think the person was mistaken. I make be happy to all customer, but, for example, from 100 person you can found one person who is not happy. Please come to my another ebay i*********2 (eBay Name) and please read feedback.

Best regards,I****a.

It's certainly very clear to me that the buyer was taken advantage of. The seller didn't even comment on the incident itself but suggested that the buyer was just the 'odd-one-in-a-hundred' who are unhappy with their purchase. If I spent $16K+ on a typical ROCK I would be furious!!!! This wasn't a case of Buyer's Remorse, it looks to me as though the seller is unmoved and unconcerned. Of course, if the transaction took place outside of Ebay, they won't want to know about it either since they won't want to pay out on something they don't have to. Looks like the seller paid into an Australian Bank Account too so even Paypal won't be able to help. The local Australian Federal police & Fraud Squad will be interested though.

I agree with you Marco the seller showed no remorse and tried to side step the issue and hide behind her feedback. you would have thought she would have denied selling the nugget at all if someone had hacked and borrowed her Ebay account for a fraud. With all the seller bank account info the buyer has, the seller would have had a hard time explaining that $16,500.00 deposit in her bank account when the Fraud Squad or Feds comes knocking at her door. But it is hard to prove what the seller shipped or what buyer received. check the weight/shipping price posted on the parcel may give a clue. AzNuggetBob

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another entertaining one on ebay :rolleyes: but people are bidding?? If the auction description is not bad enough read the questions and answers below from buyers and seller... this auction has red flags all over it! look at seller Low feedback, gold photo's change color, seller does not know were the gold ore came from??? has not sold anything in months? even though he says check past sales? you cant see them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-pound-of-pure-Gold-n...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is another of his auctions. chemistry 101?

http://cgi.ebay.com/265-776779-grams-9-375...%3A1%7C294%3A50

This person has got to be CRAZY!!! :wacko:

Quote..."Up for bid is 9 3/8 oz. of Gold Nuggets. These concentrates have been profusely washed, and boiled in distilled water, Hydrobromic, Hydrochloric, Hydrofluoric, Sulfuric, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Nitric acid treatments, until all the remains are un-dissolved gold nuggets."

Damn this person use everything but the kitchen sink to "process" the "ore", I hope that they didn't get any of the "Hydrofluoric" on their skin, if they did the proceeds will go to a hospiltal bill to try to save the limb, instead of ....

Quote..."Proceeds will benefit research and development into innovations and increased efficiency of solar panels, lithium batteries(amongst other elements), carbon fiber and black widow ranching. In addition, the automated free soup kitchen with more libraries to teach those if needed, how to properly fish."

"black widow ranching..."!!!!, WTF, this person must be CRAZY!!! :wacko:

I did go and look at their feedback, and looking at what this person has purchased in the last month, it look like most all of it is "lab" stuff and acids!!! :blink:

That the funniest looking gold, it sure doesn't look like any gold that I have seen that has been extracted by chemical process!!

It looks more like brass than gold!!

But, I think that this person's intentions are in the right place, I mean after all, they are going to be doing "...automated free soup kitchen with more libraries..." and the fishing part..."to teach those if needed, how to properly fish...." just bring a tear to my eye!!! :wacko:

Beware..

Skip

Hard to say for sure what he has but it sounds like he's refining gold from circuit boards and other items with gold plate. That process does use Nitric and Hydrochloric to make aqua regia. Hydroflouric could be used to dissolve certain silica minerals to free up the gold. In short - I wouldn't dismiss it as a scam.

Gerald

They are messing with some dangerous chemicals, several of them will explode if mixed incorrectly he has more than enough to reduce that gold. put it in solution and drop it back out. (Aqua regia) Im assuming its gold only because after thinking about it, there's not much else that could survive what he did to it. :D

Hydrofluoric can reduce silica quartz, (glass). I would not doubt he also lost a lot of gold off the surface with all the acid treatments. it sounds like he is trying to raise the karat by burning the surface? AzNuggetBob

They also shows a couple of what appear to be quartz rocks in one of the auctions that look to be encrusted with the same Green (gold?) material, That would explain the Hydrofluoric acid. I have seen green gold nuggets up in one area in Nevada but their very low karat gold and high in silver, nickel, and zinc and very hard to put into solution without pre-furnaceing and mixing in copper 55% by volume before trying to put into solution.

Just about any chemical has the potential to do harm ,even common the household ones -if used improperly. As long as a person has the proper knowledge, background and safety equipment- there shouldn't be any problems. Of course, sometimes mistakes do happen..... but we are human....

Gerald