It Had To Happen

Wouldn't you know it. First chance for a 5 day weekend in almost 6 months and first time to get out prospecting this year and what happens? 60-70% chance of rain! Not only where I am, but at all 3 of the other places I'm within driving distance of. There's 2 other places, but there's gonna be rain there too. Drat, drat, double drat and cuxxwords!!!!

Geez, I've done 10 weekends of honey-do's, a full 4 week's worth of after-work chores, spent yesterday afternoon gettin' all my prospecting gear out, set up, tested out, and the sky is gonna open..........and this is in the desert SW, no less!! So here I sit with my brand new 705 Pro and not gonna be able to get out and use it proper.

Kajun

The weather seems to be starting to clear over at Carrizozo, so I'm thinking about heading up there Sunday afternoon. I can still get in 2 1/2 days of prospecting, maybe. My plans will have to change a bit---leave drywasher home and more vacpac work and detecting. And yep, the vlfs like a bit of wetness in the ground.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the weather net tonight and tomorrow morning.

Kajun

I finally made it out to Carrizozo for 2 days of prospecting! WOOHOO! I spent a couple of hours on Sunday up in the hills, trying to get used to the 705 and was pretty impressed. Then, on Monday morning, I used it for some "cherry picking" coin shooting at the Carrizozo school and walked off with $3.70 in about an hour. After that, I headed back to the gold fields and did more detecting as well as digging a bunch of dirt to bring home to work up.

Only 3 words for how I feel about the 705: I love it! Man, does it ever make the ground disappear! There are a couple of videos over at the Minelab Owners forum that help a bunch. The machine ground balances, noise cancels and sets threshold automatically as well as manually. It's a cinch to operate and it's light enough to swing for hours at a time.

Nope, I didn't find any nuggets, but dug quite a bit of tiny metal junk (just payin' dues, boss! LOL). I figure if I'd swung over a nugget, I'd have heard it sound off loud and clear. The ground wasn't very wet, there aren't a whole bunch of hot rocks (at least ones that wouldn't balance out with tracking turned on) up at the Carrizozo claims, the weather was outstanding and a good time was had.

Kajun