Nuggethunting at Rye Patch Nevada

Hello to all,

Heading to Rye Patch for detector training 5-7 June. I've heard the roads are bad in spots (sharp rocks and trash) which can cause flats. The vehicle I'm driving is a 2008 Subaru Outback with standard passenger tires. What are the roads like and as long as I'm cautious, will I be able to use my vehicle there?

Pat

Long as you stay on the roads your should be fine just √ that spare and get a can or two of flat repair.

I don't know where you heard about the "trash" at RP It's just not so. 99.7% of the folks clean up after them selves.

Good luck!

Sounds like you are getting your training from Gerry McMullen, you should get lots of useful information from him and you should get to know your machine very well. As for the roads, if you keep your speed down on the roads you shouldn't get any flats. Most of the people that get flat tires down there are driving fast enough that their front tires flip the sharper rocks up in the air and the rocks stab the back tires. Good Luck at RP.

Bill

Sounds like you are getting your training from Gerry McMullen, you should get lots of useful information from him and you should get to know your machine very well. As for the roads, if you keep your speed down on the roads you shouldn't get any flats. Most of the people that get flat tires down there are driving fast enough that their front tires flip the sharper rocks up in the air and the rocks stab the back tires. Good Luck at RP.

Bill

Thanks for the information about the roads. I had planned to keep my speed down, but will now ensure I keep it about 30 MPH. You are correct in saying I'm getting my training from Gerry. I have heard the same comments about getting useful information and coming away knowing my machine very well.

Pat

Long as you stay on the roads your should be fine just √ that spare and get a can or two of flat repair.

I don't know where you heard about the "trash" at RP It's just not so. 99.7% of the folks clean up after them selves.

Good luck!

I didn't mean trash like people leave at camping sites. Rather the odd nails (large), bolts, broken screwdriver, etc., that often litter unpaved roads. Have a plug kit, extra plugs, and a couple cans of fix a flat.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello to all,

Heading to Rye Patch for detector training 5-7 June. I've heard the roads are bad in spots (sharp rocks and trash) which can cause flats. The vehicle I'm driving is a 2008 Subaru Outback with standard passenger tires. What are the roads like and as long as I'm cautious, will I be able to use my vehicle there?

Pat

Thanks to all who viewed my post, and especially to those who replied.

I returned to Colorado Springs the middle of last week from Rye Patch and was very surprised at how well the road were. It was about 20 miles from the frontage road turn off to where the camp for training was. I drove 30 mph as advised by those who replied, and even got up to 40 mph and still did very well. Large trucks flew by me doing at least 50 mph, but they had tires that could take punishment. I didn't get any flats (made 4 round trips), and each night when I got back to where I was staying, took a small bladed screw driver and took out the visible small rocks to prevent any damage to the tread in the tires when driving on smooth surfaces. The roads in Rye Patch are mainly dirt covered with gravel and are well traveled and maintained, with most of the big sharp rocks well off to the sides. Some roads are plain dirt and when it rains they tend to turn to big mud puddles. If allowed to cake up and dry the mud causes extreme vibration to the front steering and will cause the tires to get out of balancem which happened to me. In short, traveling the roads is possible with a passenger car, one just has to be careful and drive about 30-35 mph. Again, thanks to those who replied with sound advice.

Pat