The bridge @ Hover Dam

Wes That's what I thought it was supposed to look like. concrete and steel. I don't have a problem with driving over that design but the way it looks now reminds me of a suspension type bridge with all the cables. but hey the wind never blows in the Grand Canyon anyway. :D Thanks for the info. Take care Wes, hope your finding some gold. AzNuggetBob

while building the bridge, there are guys assigned that constantly adjust the cables. the idea is that one cable (or more) is set to hold a portion of the construction, while other cables are loosened and reset. the idea. the reality is that some things don't go as planned, and some cables come loose and kill or maim the workers, which has already happened at hoover dam.

while it is an impressive work, the roadway is not particularly terrorist resistant, and I am sure the checkpoint thing will continue long after it is opened.

There were two engineers that went down river and on their own time, worked out a better crossing (security wise) about 12 miles below the dam. The estimated cost to build that crossing (which would've been in the area of Willow Beach, would have been 1/11th of this one, following in the method used to curtail traffic at Parker Dam. So while the bridge at hoover dam is a testament to engineering (but built by a Japanese contractor), when government is involved, practicality is thrown out the window to litter the shoulder of the road.