Take advantage of the cool weather

The weather in Northern California has been fantastic for a couple of weeks. The creeks are still high and chilly, so no dredging yet. I've been hitting some patches in the foothills of the Sierra to dose the fever to see some color. I've been pulling out a bunch of smaller nuggets in recent days, but today was a pretty good day! I was using the 12 x 15 Commander Mono on my GPX 4000. It's a very versatile coil as you can tell by the different sizes of the gold, ranging from .1 dwt to 3.2 dwt's with depths ranging from 1" to 12" deep. I want to say that this patch has been pounded in the past, yet it gives up one or two per visit and today was a exception that I'll gladly take to my poke. If you have a patch like this drag your coil like your pulling a 10 pound weight and dig every little sound you hear!!!

LuckyLundy

9Jun09GregsDitch003.jpg

The weather in Northern California has been fantastic for a couple of weeks. The creeks are still high and chilly, so no dredging yet. I've been hitting some patches in the foothills of the Sierra to dose the fever to see some color. I've been pulling out a bunch of smaller nuggets in recent days, but today was a pretty good day! I was using the 12 x 15 Commander Mono on my GPX 4000. It's a very versatile coil as you can tell by the different sizes of the gold, ranging from .1 dwt to 3.2 dwt's with depths ranging from 1" to 12" deep. I want to say that this patch has been pounded in the past, yet it gives up one or two per visit and today was a exception that I'll gladly take to my poke. If you have a patch like this drag your coil like your pulling a 10 pound weight and dig every little sound you hear!!!

LuckyLundy

9Jun09GregsDitch003.jpg

Man I wish I could find nuggets like that around here. That was 6.6 grams right? The nice thing about The north Cascades where I live is that Monte Cristo Is only about 40 miles from home. and The South Fork of the Stillaguamish river was a giant gold producer in the early 1900's Silverton, Gold Basin, Monte Cristo, Robe Valley, Big 4, Verlot, and Mt Pilchuck, were alive with miners. 80% gold was on Monte Cristo, but the hillsides are littered with unmakred mines. I need to get a top notch metal detector, Then I can almost be positive on finding more than flake. The mines are probably extremely unsafe, but I would just scan around it.. Ive stumbled upon 2 mines hiking, it was crazy. Probably copper, but silver and gold are a good chance too.. How much for a decent detector you think, nothing too fancy but something that I can help me find gold? Thanks

Now, I don't understand Grams, but I do Pennyweight. My scale has a blinking light and this picture was caught between the blinks on Pennyweight (dwt). VeinHunter...It's 6.6 dwt's

LuckyLundy

Im new to the weight, Ill check it out? Nice Find.. its 10.263 grams..

Jeff (NuggetSlayer)

You know how it goes...one day both you and I can get the skunk and they next pull them out left & right. I tried something new today, had my hat on backwards and two pairs of socks!!! You try it next weekend...it works! Talk to you soon,

LuckyLundy