Gold Bug2...and others

ok Im looking at the Gold Bug, Gold stinger, and the Gold Master....anyone have experince with these? I know that there are better modles out there but Im not willing to pay more than $850.oo-950.00 (new) for a metal detector...anyone have experince with these models? is the Garret Gold stinger as bad as they say? what about the modles mentioned or not mentioned above that run between $500.00-$950.00 new?...have you, or people you know found any nuggets with the above named machines? New to this (detecting not new to prospecting) and would appreciate your insights, thanks.

I owned and used a GB-2 and found nuggets with the machine I bought new from Clevenger's in Kansas City. I had both the 6-1/2" and 10" (?) elipitcal coils. Sold that GB2 and later got a very good deal on a used GB-2 with the 6-1/2" coil. The GB-2 is now used for a back-up to my GPX-4500 or whenever the machine's capabilits are needed. Yup the GB-2 will sure find small gold using the 6-1/2" coil.

Don

I owned and used a GB-2 and found nuggets with the machine I bought new from Clevenger's in Kansas City. I had both the 6-1/2" and 10" (?) elipitcal coils. Sold that GB2 and later got a very good deal on a used GB-2 with the 6-1/2" coil. The GB-2 is now used for a back-up to my GPX-4500 or whenever the machine's capabilits are needed. Yup the GB-2 will sure find small gold using the 6-1/2" coil.

Don

Thanks for the feed back, That's good to know...what region of the country did you have succes in? I'll be using it in the Motherlode, in the central Sieras in Calif.

-Leon

• Admin

Hello Darin,

For many years I was a Fisher dealer and used all their units, especially the Fisher GoldBug2. I loved the unit, but it was just too sensitive for the areas I hunted. I would have to turn down the unit and I felt it was defeating the purchase of this unit. I found nuggets so small with the Goldbug2 (with both coils 10-inch and 6.5-inch) that you needed tweezers to extract them from the cracks! :ph34r:

The Goldbug2 operates at the highest freq, which is 71kHz. The White's Goldmaster series runs in the 50kHz range. The higher the more sensitive to small gold. Have you considered the Minelab Eureka Gold, which has three freqs (6.4, 20 & 60khz) all on the same unit?

Talk to you soon,

Rob Allison

Hello Darin,

For many years I was a Fisher dealer and used all their units, especially the Fisher GoldBug2. I loved the unit, but it was just too sensitive for the areas I hunted. I would have to turn down the unit and I felt it was defeating the purchase of this unit. I found nuggets so small with the Goldbug2 (with both coils 10-inch and 6.5-inch) that you needed tweezers to extract them from the cracks! :ph34r:

The Goldbug2 operates at the highest freq, which is 71kHz. The White's Goldmaster series runs in the 50kHz range. The higher the more sensitive to small gold. Have you considered the Minelab Eureka Gold, which has three freqs (6.4, 20 & 60khz) all on the same unit?

Talk to you soon,

Rob Allison

How much more does the Minelab Eureka Gold, cost new? used? is it better in highly mineralized dirt? if so how? Is being negative to the really small nuggets a negative thing? What I mean is if its definetly getting the really small nuggets wouldn't just as likely hit on the mid size and the big ones? New to this, just curious and plan on doing lost of research before I buy.

Thanks,

Leon

• Admin

Hey Leon,

The Minelab Eureka Gold is $998.95 new. Yes, in my opinion it's much better on mineralization than other VLF's. You also have three ranges of freqs to choose from, just not one like all the other VLF's.

The high sensitivity is great and yes you will not only find the very tiny ones, but the mid to larger sized ones also. The drawback is when you increase the sensitivity of any VLF, you're going to find much more iron mineralization, hot rocks and volcanics. When I used the GB2 I would "cuff" the coil off the ground a few inches to elliminate all the ground noise, but I would sacrafice some depth doing this also (just a trade-off).

Not sure where you are hunting, but the Soutwestern US has moderate to high mineralization in most of the goldfields.

I prefer the Minelab Eureka Gold over the Fisher Goldbug2 cause it's more immune to mineralization and have more freq. ranges. If you're looking for the best sensitivity, you can't go wrong with the GB2. They are both great metal detectors, just a matter of preference and where you might be hunting.

Research the area where you're going to hunt and see how bad the ground might be and the sizes of the gold. There are many types and sizes of gold out there to be found.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hey Leon,

The Minelab Eureka Gold is $998.95 new. Yes, in my opinion it's much better on mineralization than other VLF's. You also have three ranges of freqs to choose from, just not one like all the other VLF's.

The high sensitivity is great and yes you will not only find the very tiny ones, but the mid to larger sized ones also. The drawback is when you increase the sensitivity of any VLF, you're going to find much more iron mineralization, hot rocks and volcanics. When I used the GB2 I would "cuff" the coil off the ground a few inches to elliminate all the ground noise, but I would sacrafice some depth doing this also (just a trade-off).

Not sure where you are hunting, but the Soutwestern US has moderate to high mineralization in most of the goldfields.

I prefer the Minelab Eureka Gold over the Fisher Goldbug2 cause it's more immune to mineralization and have more freq. ranges. If you're looking for the best sensitivity, you can't go wrong with the GB2. They are both great metal detectors, just a matter of preference and where you might be hunting.

Research the area where you're going to hunt and see how bad the ground might be and the sizes of the gold. There are many types and sizes of gold out there to be found.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Wow thanks for all the info...I mainly prospect in the Central lode, and northern end of the southern lode, in Calif. and belong to a couple clubs. Getting tired of moving mountains of earth for the same amount of gold I might be able to find with a detector; right now I use a high banker, a stream do a lot of crevicing, and snipping etc...tired of all the sore joints, and icy water, hoping that nugget shooting will give me a light more focused way to prospoect when i dont want to get soaked, covered with dirt, or just plain exhausted...it will be a couple months before I'll be ready to buy, but i'll certainly give Minelab a closer look, thanks for advice, and insight.

-Leon