Future Headlines

dateline DEC. 2010 Minelan{Codan} files chapter 11 , with the parts availabilty, and the wars winding down, There deminig and hobby detector sales has slowed to a standstill, The Us Military annoused today that it was cheaper to let people step on the land mines, rather than pay the high price of de-minig detectors, with Obama's socialous Medical care program in full swing, Its cheaper to either let you die or cut your legs off. Hobby detectorist find that Whites and Tesoro will repair detectors for life as oposed to only the two years minelab does. minelab had no choise, except to go under. With the introduction of there new 5000 detector, in Oct. of last year and only sales of three detector, that were to dealers, Minelab has lost it all! Even there minds! Grubstake

Gary... There is also a future headline:

Although all manufacturing of batteries is now highly regulated to

stop all phases of detecting throughout the world, it is rumored

that there is still someone in California finding quantities of gold

while using a Minelab 2200d hooked up to hearing aid batteries.

Although authorized repair parts for the 2200d are no longer

available, it is also rumored that "Green frisbies" can be especially

adapted as replacement coils and ignition coils cannabalised from

Model T Fords provide much needed "boost."

It is stated by ABCD wire press the nuggets as big as a 0.000

nanosecond are being recovered at depths of 1000 meters...

(Gotcha???) Nevermind.... I'm Impressed... Jin

With the Iraq war winding down, I think Codan has lost de-mineing contracts, I mean who! cares if a camel steps on one? It will make him a marter. Business grows and thrives on word of mouth. I don't care how much you spend on advertising, word of mouth will make or break you. Tesore is based in AZ, they should be paying attention! You {Tesoro} should own AZ as far as gold nugget hunting goes. Minelab is deserting all its loyal customers. James Gifford are you listening? Develope a great PI gold hunting detector, and keep your life time waranty. You will get rich. Grubstake

I keep thinking that because ML has included the free extra L-Ion battery with the purchase of the 4500 for the last few months, that the next machine will have an internal battery or a different battery system. It seems like the dealers are the only ones that include freebees, not ML. Just me thinking too much probably.

Cheers,

Matt

AznuggetBob, I use Blue tooth enabled wireless headphones on my 2200 and since I started posting abot them over a year ago, I see Garrett has a new detector on the market Or maybe its a Whites, that comes with them. I still think when the new 5000ML comes out, it will have a color screen, maybe a built in GPS. Why not? the tecnology is there. and someone please tell me why the big bulky batteries? look at cordless Drills, that use lithIon, why not a battery like that? That could just snap into the control housing? then with Wireless headphones, you would have no! cords, none! Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Gary and All,

I know many are disappointed about the whole Service deal on Minelab metal detectors. I found it quite shocking myself, but I'm not running their business. I'm hoping that Minelab USA and Australia will view some of these posts and get a better idea on how many customers have older Minelab metal detectors. If they find out that hundreds, maybe thousands of customers that have older Minelab won't consider a new one over this deal, it might just open their eyes! It's not my business to get involved; I'm just trying to be a very honest dealer passing on information that could be valuable to you.

I just don't want people to ship off their units that might cost a good amount of money to insure and ship them and find out Minelab will not be able to service them anymore and you wasted money in the effort (please understand what I'm getting at).

On another note, I think Minelab/Codan is making a killing right now. I had a conversation with Minelab USA, Inc. yesterday morning and they have over 100 Minelab GPX-4500's on backorder and more dealers calling about them. They could very easily have 150+ on backorder before the next shipment arrives from Minelab in Australia. Just think about the numbers, 150 units x $4,500 each, that is $675,000!!! Nearly a million dollars in backorders, so I seriously doubt they are hurting.

You want more facts; they have close to that number of SD2200v2's on backorder. I will let you do the math. :wacko:

I think Minelab is in the driver’s seat and have been for at least 10 years. They are the one looking out the back window trying to see whose coming, but have always seemed to see a long road during a clear day with no one in sight. (Just my humble opinions) :blush:

Take care,

Rob Allison

To get to the point... I'm an Old Soldier... Corp of Engineers... Back in 1953

I was present while training stateside in using the SCR-625 Military Anti-Tank

Mine Detector when one of the instructers lost the end of a heel because he

failed to detect a practice mine... A truly freak accident

The SCR series were used too long... Obsolete... When Minelab became an

early industrial leader in anti-personnel mine detecting I was and still am

very grateful for their leadership and there still is millons of anti-personnel

mines in many so called "third-world" counties... these mines are not meant

to kill but to disable...

Rob -

You've always done a great job helping your customers, and no one thinks you had anything to do with this decision or blames you in any way. I appreaciate that you let us know about it so we can have a chance to let ML know what a horrible decision they made. I hope they are getting the message.

You are right that

I think Minelab is in the driver's seat and have been for at least 10 years. They are the one looking out the back window trying to see whose coming, but have always seemed to see a long road during a clear day with no one in sight.

I just seems like they have seen no one gaining on them for so long that they have decided they can let off the gas and take it easy. That they dont need to support their products for the long haul - like they have enough business already, so screw the guy who cant afford a new $5000 detector every 5 years - we dont need that kind of customer because we have enough business already. Because they are so far ahead they figured that its a good idea to force customers to buy a new detector by dropping repair support of older models. Where else is the customer going to go anyway?

Rob, you've built your business based on good customer service, and you know how important that is. When a business decides its got a lock on things and it doesnt need to treat its customers right, its a doomsday decision, but it takes a while for those destructive seeds to grow. Yep, they got all the business they want right now, and that will probably be true for years to come. But eventually, they will find they need their customers, and if you treat them like crap, someday someone else will offer a truely competitive product and the customer will go elsewhere. When that day comes (and its probably years away), Gubstake's "Future Headlines" will come true.

You can add my name to the list of Minelab's "lost customers". I was planning to buy a new detector this fall to upgrade and replace my old GP Extreme. Since ML has made a defacto declaration that they will only support their products for about 8 to 10 years, I dont want to rush in to buying one now because while I am still working, I dont get out to hunt as much as I'd like, and I dont want to waste any of the limited 8 to 10 years of repair support. I want to get the most out of any detecor I buy, especially if its as expensive as a new ML GP 4500. Since I will probably be retiring in 2 years, I am going to wait until then and see what is on the market at that time. I'll just continue with my GP extreme for now.

Chris

Maybe ROB,DOC, Trevor from Coiltek, Bill Southern, and Chris G. could offer to give classes in customer service to Minelab. They are all tops when it comes to that. No one I know blames them or hold them accountable for what Minelab has done. We{I} don't want to tell any company how they should be run, But they should read the post here and on other forums, take a step back! And re-think there service and repairs. My opion! Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Most customers were sending them back to Minelab in Australia, but there was also a small TV repair place in Tempe, Arizona that also done some repairs on older Minelab's (mostly VLF's).

I'm sure if Minelab don't change their mind, someone out there will pick it up. With the amount of used Minelab's out there (1,000's of them), someone might be able to make a nice side business repairing them.

Take care,

Rob Allison