Future Headlines

Over my lifetime, I have found one thing true... that is change.... nothing

lasts other than relentless change...

One thing I have always found... If a door closes, there is another door that

opens... But sometimes it is easy to forget to turn the knob to open the door.

Also... what seems important today... will fade away... As an example, Henry

Ford made a Model A back in 1903... and went through the alphabet until

the "T" and then made the Model T from 1909 until 1927... It was great in its time...

Over 15,000,000 were sold... But then came the competion, such as the upsart

1928 Chevrolet. But Mr. Ford did not make an Model U; instead he started over with

the alphabet and made a Model A from 1928. Then the "V-8"- in 1932.

Now it soon will be 2010... And guess what: There is enough replica, used, and

NOS parts to build a 1909 Model T...

Dutch John. You mention using metal detectors to remove land mines. There is a much better way and no risk to humans. Run a band of sheep through the area you want cleared. If you have ever been where a band of sheep has just passed through you will notice that not one square inch doesn't have a track on it. It's a great idea but I'm sure PETA would have some thing to say about it. One side benefit would be that the poor locals would welcome a mutton dinner.----Bob

Montana here is another idea were sheep work well. and you are right they cover every inch. I came up with this idea years ago when I realized that using a weed eater wasn't the best way to clear a patch. When I saw what the sheep were capable of I was amazed. sheep will eat an area down lower than a mowed lawn even in and around the prickly pear cactus. the cattle ranchers hate them for that reason. In many areas we were fighting the tall grass in our favorite patches especially using larger coils for more depth so I made a deal with the sheep herders that passed through there every year and pointed to specific areas for clearing and it worked great the cleaned patches were producing nuggets again. every inch helps. :) Take care AzNuggetBob

Hah, ha... Montana... having been born and raised in eastern Nevada, I'm also aware of what

the sheep can do... But it would have been hard under battlefield conditions to keep the sheep

on line...

But I like the Aznuggets idea... Maybe a horde of Mormon crickets would also work?... Maybe

they could be trained to sample and deactivate the firing pin?

Humor is always welcome... There is too much stress in our lifes...

Jim those Mormon crickets suck. I remember the last time I was hunting up at dutch flats they were everywhere. all goin west??? huge as far as crickets go. They were crawling over us like an army on leave and we were up on cots. I think I'll use the sheep. :lol: AzNuggetBob

Bob G... The mormon crickets have been most distructive... We know about them

but to a newbie from back east they are a scare... A year or so ago I wrote an

article about them and it was published in Lost Treasure... To my surprise I got

letters from readers about them...

While I have your attention I also wrote and article in Lost Treasure about Lunker

Hill... I mentioned you as one of my sources of information... I bet you do not

remember talking to me at Okie Jims. You and Jim were old friends going back

to mining in Arizona...

You and I talked of many things... When I was writing the article I was not sure of the

spelling of your last name so I contacted Rob as to the correct spelling... Patty and

I exchaned cell phone messages... She had to stand just so on the patio to not lose

the signal...

I remember Jim, That place produced a lot of gold and some great memories. Rob mentioned that you were done writing the article and wanted to reconfirm my name. I appreciate that Jim. BTW which issue Id like to take a look. AzNuggetBob

Bob... send me your address and I see if I can get one for you. Larry Harris

at Lost Treasure even contacted Patty by cellphone. Patty advertised Lunker

Hill for sale in LT and ICMJ... I was later told it was sold. You and Okie were

good friends... There could always be gold found there by detecting with either

PI's or VLF's... Do you know what ever happend to "Tin door" Dorph?

My email is jimstraig@earthlink.net... you will be blocked by my spamm checker

but I will catch it and answer...

Jim. Keeping them in line is no problem. You know what a couple of good sheep dogs can do . I have visions of a sheep cartwheeling through the air every once in a while. Some may not know how many sheep make up a band . A flock of sheep can be any number but a band of sheep is 1,000 head . My grandfather was a long time sheep rancher in Montana and Utah. He had 1 sheepherder and one or 2 dogs with each band. Each sheepherder had a 25-35 winchester for killing coyotes.

Bob. I've hunted sheep cleared patches also. They do a great job. You take advantage of what comes along. Last time I was in a mormon cricket swarm it seemed like they were more intent on eating each other than anything else. They are pretty disgusting and I had a heck of a time getting the guts of my camper after driving through them for almost one hundred miles between Lovelock and Battle Mountain, but it's a fascinating thing to see. I found it mesmerizing detecting amongst them as the ground seemed to be constantly moving and it even gave me slight dizzy spells.----Bob

Jim, Montana & NUgget Bob...What a great entertaining thread...Educational too...Never hit the crickets, but I have hit the yellow & green/black army worms in a carpet out near the Searles Range and the Panamints west of Death Valley...If you skin those critters just right you can make a fuzzy--but stinky--colorful vest.... :lol::lol: ...Cheers, Unc

Montana those bugs drove us crazy, I agree now that you mention it about the dizzying effect. Almost made you sea sick.:wacko: It was very hard to concentrate on hunting. :girl: We finally gave up and moved but we did take few nuggets with us. :D AzNuggetBob